Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help me plan a 1-2 week holiday for May/June 2013?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I've found the bib-overall type pants better than waist type pants. They go right up under the armpit so the area "double covered is better (less drafts too) some have zips or elastic at the ankles to aid getting them over boots. (the better ones)
    Yeah, they cover the more vulnerable jacket leak risks like the main zip and vents, they're fast to get on and pack down way small. I don't bother with the matching over-jacket, nonetheless carrying the bib-overalls allows me to tour with a lighter jacket than I otherwise would, in summer it's leather.

Of the dozen or so gloves I've owned exactly none have been waterproof, certainly not leather ones and some $400 Alpinestar winter gloves failed in less than an hour of west coast rain. I don't think anyone's mentioned those micky mouse three finger over-gloves, I've never got around to tracking them down but they're a good idea.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Something like this: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/262...-Throttle-Boss

Clamp around the handlebar, makes it easier to keep the throttle open with less grip on the bar.
    I've got a throttle rocker, (on the same site) but I've only used it on bikes with a particularly heavy throttle, and then only when actually touring because I found it intefered with quick, acurate control in a pinch. Easy enough to peel off and wrap on that you can fit it only when you feel the need, though.

Now that I've looked I see there's LH and RH throttle rocker options. Mine's a RH one, lives out on the end of the throttle tube. I wonder if a LH model might be a bit less in the way in a hurry, under the thumb, there...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Victory Vegas 8 Ball
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    never heard of it?
    www.crampbuster.com

If you go onto eBay and look up "throttle rocker" you can pick one up for around $3. It'll be the best couple of bucks you can spend on yr bike.
    D

Bike
    The Conscience
    A good tool is Google Latitude, if you have a smartphone it can send your location periodically to whoever you have set as a contact. An upside is you can also use it to track your movements on google maps.

You can get waterproof socks from kiwi disposals (army surplus) http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/footw...ish-army-socks

They also have some awesome thermals that are used in Antarctica http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/thermals I have these and they are great, thick as sweatshirt material.

Once your gear gets wet it is the wind chill that will get you, so maybe look at a pair of these http://www.rain-off.com/Buy_Products.php they will keep you totally dry on your hands and cut the wind so you stay warm, heated grips are awesome but will not warm you up if your gloves are soaked.

If you can, try and practice by spending a day riding around in the rain, make sure your gear is up to the task.

Have an awesome time
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    Honda,Black,Shadow 750

South Island Tour

2 weeks only enough time to do north of Chch. It's 1,000km to get there from NS.Don't rush to get away to beat the on set of winter. Spring is quite dry south of the strait. I did 2 months on a trike starting in the 2nd week of Sept was dry until Oct. much better scenery when the mountains have snow on them. Wets on the outside is the best way to go,one piece or use braces to stop the cruch hanging around your knees.
    This acts as an extra thermal layer.
    I always wear gumboots.(famous for it) good thermal socks and the wets over thetop (NOT TUCKED IN ) Safety gumboots only cost $50 from Any safety shop or RD1.
    Take your time and enjoy yourself Regards Richard
    Regards Richard
    Growing old is mandatory Growing up is purely optional
    Retired teenager

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thehovel View Post
    2 weeks only enough time to do north of Chch. It's 1,000km to get there from NS.Don't rush to get away to beat the on set of winter. Spring is quite dry south of the strait. I did 2 months on a trike starting in the 2nd week of Sept was dry until Oct. much better scenery when the mountains have snow on them. Wets on the outside is the best way to go,one piece or use braces to stop the cruch hanging around your knees.
    This acts as an extra thermal layer.
    I always wear gumboots.(famous for it) good thermal socks and the wets over thetop (NOT TUCKED IN ) Safety gumboots only cost $50 from Any safety shop or RD1.
    Take your time and enjoy yourself Regards Richard
    Unfortunately I am limited as to when I can take it, hence my May/June, not trying to beat winter, that's just about when I'll be able to take leave.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I am limited as to when I can take it, hence my May/June, not trying to beat winter, that's just about when I'll be able to take leave.
    Even on the GN ... taking your time. You can be in the South island on the second day after leaving Auckland. (early evening sailing with a cabin/backpacker bed booked in Picton.)

400-500 km days ... you cover the turf pretty quickly. You wont see everything .... So don't try. It will be there on the next trip on a bigger bike.

Leave most of the north island for the shorter breaks ... (and no ferry either way needed) and if you allow at least the last four days in the north island ... plenty of time for quick family visits.

If your start time is about 8.30-9 am ... with a finish about 4 pm. With a moving average of about 75 km/hr ... a 500 km day is possible. Even with a quite a few stops for the been there/done that photos ...

The big question is what you want to spend the money on. And money in reserve for unforeseen problems. The big three to budget for is Fuel/Accommodation/Food. Followed closely by "spending money" ... the non urgent but necessary to enjoy the holiday stuff. (beer/wine/Good coffee/souvenirs etc)
    You need to eat well to stay alert and fit to ride. Fuel ... totally dependent on how far you want to travel. Accommodation is the wild card. Family/friends (KBr's ??)/Backpackers/tent are the budget options ... but a budgeted Motel stop in a real bed with your own shower mid trip ... will refresh mind AND body.

And start the trip with a fresh set of tyres.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Hodor
    Hi All, I have never had any more than a few days off in a row since I started working with the company I'm with now

I was wondering if any body could offer any (helpful, constructive) advice on anything from routes,
    Some say that I am a good Route

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    some but not many and certainly not all, aye?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Only when you're pissed.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    You'll be more the adventure route. That what all the signs point to ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    .I was wondering if any body could offer any (helpful, constructive) advice on anything from routes, sightseeing/attractions, accommodation, eateries, bike gear i.e. clothing, equipment i.e. gps???, anything I should do to/add to my bike or even any consumables or comforts I should/could take with me. I really want to plan this as well as I can so as to have as little (inconvenient, stressful, annoying) mishaps or surprises as possible. I also want to have a blast and meet new people if I can and the other reason for planning so far in advance of course is I need to save! I know May/June isn't exactly summer, but I will have to take what I can get...
    as you have textile already just add a one piece (dryrider) works ok, water proof boots & gloves, ice breaker thermals are great under bike gear & not a bad price

off the ferry, Queen Charlotte drive to Havelock, SHW 6 to Nelson, then SWH 6 all the way down through Buller gorge, Greymouth, Hasst Pass, Wanaka, then over the Crown range then back onto SHW 6 either turn right & head to Arrow town then Queens town & head further south from there or right & head to Central via Cromwell, Alexandra ... etc

a when you're heading back up there are lots of options hope it's a help

as for accom there are heaps of KBers that would put you up along the way, that encludes mrs S & myself & others we know,

have a blast with what ever you decide
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    Honda,Black,Shadow 750
    Do Queen Charlotte Dr towards Picton as the viewing spots are on the water side of the road at a tight BLIND corner and you are not alowed to cross the road. Drive to Havelock and drive back toward Picton for about 10km Then drive back to Havelock, brunch at the Mussel Pot magic. regards Richard
    Regards Richard
    Growing old is mandatory Growing up is purely optional
    Retired teenager

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Just so you can get a feel for the distances. This is the trip I did by car in 1 week over christmas: https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?saddr...t=h&mra=ls&z=7

I stayed overnight in Picton, Hanmer (2 nights), Arthurs Pass (2 nights), Murchison (because I didn't want to go straight through to Picton), Palmy. It was pretty much always daytrips for me because I like to stop at every viewpoint

With 2 weeks you can see quite a lot. But don't overdo it. You don't want to come back home and not be able to remember the wonderful places you've been to because you were just rushing through. Stay at least 2 nights at interesting places and do daytrips from there. Or go hiking or whatever. If you come across Hokitika you need to go and see Hokitika Gorge. It is so beautiful there. About 30 min away from Hokitika, but a well signed country road with just about a few hundret meters of gravel at the end.

And go to Nelson and Golden Bay. Stop at the Abel Tasman National Park, maybe do some kayaking there for a change. Although it is winter, so maybe not. Golden Bay has one of the most beautiful beaches ever. Wharariki Beach https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=wh...w=1234&bih=897, deep white sand and a big rock arch. But it is 20 minutes or so on the gravel road to get there.

From Nelson you can go south via the Nelson Lakes, it's beautiful there, and go to Hanmer Springs or the west coast. In country roads are much more windy than the coastal roads and try to avoid the east coast roads they are pretty boring. Although whale watching in Kaikoura is pretty amazing. (And I've heard the crayfish, too, for eating, not watching... )

Arthurs Pass village, nice road, but aside of getting petrol there is not much going on in the village. Unless you want to go hiking. There are some days 1.5 or so hour hikes up to several day trips you can do there. But other than that, don't bother staying there if you don't have to.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I am still reading this thread btw for people who have commented but haven't had the time to respond cause I've been away/my tablet takes an eon to send messages with cause it's hard to edit. Will update my first post when I get my hands on a computer.

Thread Information