Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie rides! Experienced riders welcome/wanted

Bike
    2013 Kawasaki ER6N-RR Ongoing project

Smile Newbie rides! Experienced riders welcome/wanted

Hello everybody,
    I have started this thread as a place for new riders to organize rides.

It would be great if some more experienced riders could join us or even a kb mentor.

I would like this thread to be a place for all of us to discuss rides and meetings. If anyone is going for a ride in the weekend and would like others to join just post here and I am sure you will have a mob of us with you in no time.

I find riding with other people is great the cars suddenly seem to know there place and respect you more. You can stop and chat and grab some food at whatever place it happens to be that weekend. Also you can learn some spots to ride in that you never even knew existed before.

Also just to begin the thread please post if you would be interested so we can see how many people would be interested. Please also put how long you have been riding and whatever else you feel like mentioning.

GROUND RULES

I would first like to say this thread was started with the best intentions however we do need some rules.

1. If you like to ride excessively fast or have the urge to ride without caution or consideration to others then please exit this thread

2. The first rule in your head should be treat everyone the cars the bikes hell that hedgehog looking suspiciously at the curb like they will do something wrong and how are you going to react to it are you in the right position have you left enough space etc etc etc

3. If any of the things in number 2 don't apply to you then please you are best to ride alone for awhile I like my bike my misses and my life

4. If however you ride with caution and courtesy to other road users trucks bikes cars scooters etc and you just want to go for a good ride with like minded people and maybe some more experienced riders and gets tips and become a better rider then welcome

Thanks for reading all that now let the thread begin
    Sent from one of those devices

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    KB has a mentor system in place, available here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showgroups.php if you so wish.

Otherwise, just be careful going out in groups... last bad outcome I heard of was a multi-bike pile up (3-4 I think).

Take the time, practise your skills then go on group rides in the country. It's not as easy as you think, and you have to be careful when there are other bikes around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzano View Post
    I find riding with other people is great the cars suddenly seem to know there place and respect you more.
    Respect is earned. Don't go expecting respect simply due to numbers.

Large group rides are usually fraught with danger. Far too many egos on display.

Get yourself along on Maha's and Mom's L angels rides if you want to get out in a group.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Respect is earned. Don't go expecting respect simply due to numbers.

Large group rides are usually fraught with danger. Far too many egos on display.

Get yourself along on Maha's and Mom's L angels rides if you want to get out in a group.
    Granted but was more of a general observation from the last time I went out with mates.

And there is danger but if you go out to ride responsibly with friends and not egotistically to see who can go faster or what have you then it is perfectly fine in my opinion. I mean of course you always have to be vigilant but if your not then you shouldn't really be riding.

Also I know there is the mentor system and L rides but both can be few and far between so thought this could be a good in between where whoever is free at the time could join.

If I am wrong in that train of thought then I apologize but put this up with good intention definitely not a 3-4 bike pile up.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And there is danger but if you go out to ride responsibly with friends and not egotistically to see who can go faster or what have you then it is perfectly fine in my opinion. I mean of course you always have to be vigilant but if your not then you shouldn't really be riding.
    And therein lies the problem with organising group rides on Kiwibiker.

Usually you have no idea who you will end up riding with.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    And therein lies the problem with organising group rides on Kiwibiker.

Usually you have no idea who you will end up riding with.
    Very true

Maybe I should put some ground rules in the OP?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Very true

Maybe I should put some ground rules in the OP?
    It wouldn't hurt but you'd have to be a fairly ambitious/thick-skinned character to actually try enforcing those ground rules.

Maha and Mom seem to have hit upon a successful recipe though.

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Just remember this thread was started with the best of intentions. If experienced riders want to chime in and maybe clear a day up then that would be great! Always keen to learn what im doing right and wrong. As for the L's angels, I am definately getting myself along to the next one, only problem is that there has only just been one, and im looking to get experience in the next month or so as I will have to travel to the northshore 4 days a week... So if possible i would love to go on a few rides soon, whether it be with experienced riders or a mixture

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam_NZ View Post
    Just remember this thread was started with the best of intentions. If experienced riders want to chime in and maybe clear a day up then that would be great! Always keen to learn what im doing right and wrong. As for the L's angels, I am definately getting myself along to the next one, only problem is that there has only just been one, and im looking to get experience in the next month or so as I will have to travel to the northshore 4 days a week... So if possible i would love to go on a few rides soon, whether it be with experienced riders or a mixture
    We are looking to another in April...date TBC. Keep an eye out though.

Mark.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post

Mark.
    Count me in

The more rides the better

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post

Mark.
    I might even tag along on this one.

Just to spoil your fun like.

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam_NZ View Post
    Cam. I am not super experienced, only have 2 or so months in the saddle and ride over the bridge especially alllll the time. I would be happy to ride with you individually but not keen on a group of newbies who (incl myself) can be terribly unpredictable.

I also feel I need to add that you should be getting the experience BEFORE you go on one of these L's Angels trips. Not relying on these kinds of trips to provide you with the confidence, for example, to cross the bridge. If you're scared of the bridge, you will shit your pants on one of these trips and will be very physically/mentally exhausted. I am speaking from experience, I wanted so much to go on the trip that we just did on the weekend been but was where you're at now. I worked super hard to get some more time on the saddle and experience so that I could go on this trip and have FUN rather than freak the F out. I had about 2500km on my belt before I went. So yea, I am happy to help but strongly urge you to try and get a mentor or further training.
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post

I also feel I need to add that you should be getting the experience BEFORE you go on one of these L's Angels trips. Not relying on these kinds of trips to provide you with the confidence, for example, to cross the bridge. If you're scared of the bridge, you will shit your pants on one of these trips and will be very physically/mentally exhausted. I am speaking from experience, I wanted so much to go on the trip that we just did on the weekend been but was where you're at now. I worked super hard to get some more time on the saddle and experience so that I could go on this trip and have FUN rather than freak the F out. I had about 2500km on my belt before I went. So yea, I am happy to help but strongly urge you to try and get a mentor or further training.
    The first time I went over the bridge was on one of Maha and Mom's day rides, I found I'd psych'd myself up so much and it turned out to be relatively straight forward. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when on a motorbike!

Always keen to go on rides, have the next few days off so might just get out there and go!

Bike
    NOS induced ninja ex250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bosslady View Post
    Cam. I am not super experienced, only have 2 or so months in the saddle and ride over the bridge especially alllll the time. I would be happy to ride with you individually but not keen on a group of newbies who (incl myself) can be terribly unpredictable.

Yeah pretty much just worrying for nothing about the bridge. Im going to go on a few more rides this week, a family friend wants me to do a coro loop with him this weekend but im not sure if ill go ahead with it. Sure will get more experience before the next L's angel trip

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    The first time I went over the bridge was on one of Maha and Mom's day rides, I found I'd siked myself up so much and it turned out to be relatively straight forward. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when on a motorbike!
    For me, personally I find I "perform" better when riding solo. WHY? because partly consciously, partly subconsciously I get nervous and worry that other motorcyclists are looking at me...and am I doing it right... do they think I suck.. oh gosh, gosh, gosh STALL. Yup, it's happened. Although after the weekend I DO feel a little better being around other motorcyclists without worrying too much about what they might be thinking. I wouldn't have contemplated going on an almost 400km ride (one way) having never even crossed the bridge. As it stands, going through mt messenger made me develop a small ball of nervousness in my tummy that slowly tried to make it's way up my throat! esp on some 25kmh bends. Also I didn't feel it fair to inflict my newbie ness on everyone else even more than I already did! Anyway... JMO I guess...
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Thread Information