Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White tail spiders

Bike
    Triple Delight

White tail spiders

Ok all you budding entomologists...

I seem to have a large outbreak of baby white tail spiders in my office. They have been appearing over the past few days, and really too little to identify. I have been setting sticky tape traps to catch one so I could look at it under a magnifying glass. Dozens of the little suckers, but they are smart and have evaded capture. This morning however, I got one about 4mm long in body and easily identifiable as a white tail.

So my questions are, will these little ones bite, because they appear from under paper on my desk, without warning. They walk on my monitors and generally are all over the place.

Where should I go looking for a nest? And how to kill them? Will a flea bomb do it do you think?

Lucky I am not scared of spiders is all I can say
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    bandit
    Fly spray works on spiders ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...we have just noticed the general build up of them around our verandah and house...seems to happen when the season starts cooling...for a spider that twenty years ago I'd never really heard of before, they now seem to have become a real pest here...the average size of the ones around here are an inch long and 3/16ths wide...very seldom run across the juveniles...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Fly spray works on spiders ...
    Working on that principle then a flea bomb will work. There must be a nest of them in here though there are LOTS of them. I would prefer to kill the source of the infestation and not just spray the individuals. Also getting a bit gun shy picking things up on my desk really
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    beryl and daisy
    what nice, dry and dark place that is good for breeding lil baby spiders do you have close around your desk?
    the computer box might be a good place to go looking.
    squeek squeek

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by blue rider View Post
    what nice, dry and dark place that is good for breeding lil baby spiders do you have close around your desk?
    the computer box might be a good place to go looking.
    Funny you should say that I was thinking they were coming out of my monitors
    Nonono,

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Funny you should say that I was thinking they were coming out of my monitors
    Argh, what a scary idea. And no, I so didn't just have a good look around my office. At all.

Bike
    Your mom
    Kill it with fire.

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Kill it with fire.
    THIS +1

Just burn the building down!...that will kill the evil bastards Mom

(I hate them!!, they are "trying" to take over our house at the moment!..and like ellipsis said, no little buggers down here...just HUGE bitey bastards!)

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    THIS +1

Just burn the building down!...that will kill the evil bastards Mom

(I hate them!!, they are "trying" to take over our house at the moment!..and like ellipsis said, no little buggers down here...just HUGE bitey bastards!)
    My boss might not like it if I torch his house though

I am going for the flea bombs and nuke the room
    Nonono,

Bike
    All of them
    Fkn Ausies.

Just spray em.

Funnily enough I haven't seen a single one since I moved back. Must be too hot here.

At one stage our son was facing amputation if they couldn't get the necrosis from a bite on his wrist under control.
    Theory is there is bacteria on the fangs that can give a severe reaction in some people.
    This was C1988 - before they knew of treating with peroxide.
    They actually put him in a hyperbaric chamber and healed it.

Bike
    All of them
    They wouldn't be budding entomologists - they would be larvae.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    They are horrible things, I dont have a good history with allergic reactions so am really, really reluctant to get a bite even from a baby spider.
    Nonono,

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Now this might all be bullshit - but I have heard that Whitetails' favourite snack is Daddy Longlegs. So if there are 'heaps' of one, there is bound to be plenty of the other in the immediate environment. The other thing I have heard is that the bite of the DLL carries one of the most deadly toxins known. However, their fangs are too short to penetrate human skin and are therefore harmless (to us). BUT - the theory goes - the venom is absorbed and delivered through the bite of a WT. Which is why their bite can be so serious.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Fkn Ausies.

Just spray em.

Funnily enough I haven't seen a single one since I moved back. Must be too hot here.

At one stage our son was facing amputation if they couldn't get the necrosis from a bite on his wrist under control.
    Theory is there is bacteria on the fangs that can give a severe reaction in some people.
    This was C1988 - before they knew of treating with peroxide.
    They actually put him in a hyperbaric chamber and healed it.
    Shit!, poor kid!

They are bloody dangerous buggers!
    I had one of my door men hospitalised from a single bite!...now, were talking about a guy whos over 7 foot tall, built like a brick out house and NEVER goes down in bar brawl (One of the toughest buggers you could ever meet)
    One bite!...and he was in hospital, drifting in and out of consciousness, and fighting to save his leg!
    Took him nearly two months to recover...we nicknamed him spider man after that.

...Don't underestimate these evil little aussie imports! ,word is, they have actually mutated!, cross bred, what ever!...they are MUCH more potent than the aussie originals...hence...I hate them!, and kill them on sight with boiling water! (boiling water ensure's that the females don't spray eggs as they die!)

Evil bastards!...look at em!

fuck it!...use FIRE!!

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Thread Information