Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: White tail spiders

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    I was bitten by an unidentified spider in the crook of my elbow in 1971. My arm blistered and peeled, very similar to a burn, involving about two thirds of my arm. It was incredibly painful, and took weeks to heal. I was not a very well or happy lassie....
    That must have been a ''Pheasant'' experience...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    I was bitten by an unidentified spider in the crook of my elbow in 1971. My arm blistered and peeled, very similar to a burn, involving about two thirds of my arm. It was incredibly painful, and took weeks to heal. I was not a very well or happy lassie....
    Scarey stuff. Given my ability to react badly to stuff, I really dont want a spider bite to test my auto immune system. Flea bombs are diong their work. Hopefully that will be an end to the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    750 auw
    I am tired of these mutha fucken spiders on this mutha fucken plane!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Fkn Ausies.

Just spray em.

Funnily enough I haven't seen a single one since I moved back. Must be too hot here.

At one stage our son was facing amputation if they couldn't get the necrosis from a bite on his wrist under control.
    the old tooth fairy pays up to $5 per tooth for kiddies these days i'm told, imagine what the Amputee Fairy is paying for limbs nowadays he may have made a fortune if he'd wrapped it up under his pillow.....

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Mom, the fact that you have a sudden herd of littlies could well be the result of one egg cluster hatching. It may not indicate a nest.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Mom, the fact that you have a sudden herd of littlies could well be the result of one egg cluster hatching. It may not indicate a nest.
    ... if I went looking for a white tail now I could suss three or four in any dry area within a short space of time...my shed is full of them...I chop them up with a very small axe and eat their babies...

Bike
    Your mom
    I didn't know how bad spider bites could be!

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    One egg cluster...

Gone burger...

Sad really, but I fear the bite to myself and the little one that shares my office space every day...

Perhaps now, they will actually spend money on CLEANING...
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    None :(
    Quote Originally Posted by willytheekid View Post
    I had one of my door men hospitalised from a single bite!...now, were talking about a guy whos over 7 foot tall, built like a brick out house and NEVER goes down in bar brawl (One of the toughest buggers you could ever meet)
    My wife had to go on antibiotics because of a bite. I know another that had to go to hospital. Don't muck around with these spiders, kill them on site. Wear leather garden gloves if u garden - to give u more change of not having the bite penetrate.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Well I flea bombed. Told my boss not to open my office door, even put a sign on the door to remind him. Got to work this morning and the door had been opened. His wife tells me he did it before he came upstairs for the day, so probably half hour max after I set it off. Hope that was long enough. Have not seen a spider yet.
    Nonono,

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Well I flea bombed. Told my boss not to open my office door, even put a sign on the door to remind him. Got to work this morning and the door had been opened. His wife tells me he did it before he came upstairs for the day, so probably half hour max after I set it off. Hope that was long enough. Have not seen a spider yet.
    Ya tell some people not to do sumpin' and nek minute...
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    If you get bit go directly to hospital, and tell 'em it was a workplace accident, and that you had identified the hazard. Your attempt to eliminate the hazard was circumvented by the boss, despite verbal and written notification. You shouldn't need to work for the rest of the year $$$. MOBIE would have a fieldday.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    It was half the size of my ball peen hammer. I believe that some people can get in a bad way after a bite. I got bit on a finger while reaching under the wooden work bench. Was damn sore and red for a day or so.
    Apparently the severity of symptoms from a WT bite depends on what the spider has been eating lately and how much pressure is put on the spider when the bite occurs. As part of the biting the spider also injects part of its gut contents into the victim in order to 'digest' the prey prior to sucking out its contents.

Worse case scenario is if you sit or lean on a spider that has a particularly septic gut full of its last meal. The amount of bacteria transferred in such a case would result in the more severe cases such as those that put the victim at risk of amputation.

Must be that time of year. I discovered a nest of baby (2-3mm) WTs in a stock box a couple of weeks ago. I squashed most of them I guess (30-40) but no sign of 'Mum'. I've had them in every place I've lived since the early 1990s at least both in Taranaki and Bay of Plenty and have had one bite on my forearm (spider in shirt I was putting on) that needed antibiotics to turn around the early signs of blood poisoning. We used to have the house on our orchard in the BOP professionally treated with pyrethum fogging yearly but the WTs kept turning up again.

Bike
    Honda Fireblade
    I was making my bed last night and spotted a little white tail. Did I kill it? no. Picked it up and found a nice dry spot for it outside. I used to live in the Waitakere ranges so am used to having lots of spiders around. I find it very hard to kill our little 8 legged friends.

Bike
    Mine
    Haven't had a white-tails bite but Irene got bitten by a Catipo through her polypro top while kayaking in mangroves up the Wade river near Auckland. Came up in a huge saw on her upper arm. Went to the chenist the next day for some hydrocortisone cream (I think that was the name). A week later it was completely gone. Looked horrible but really was no big deal. I dare say it could've been if left untreated.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Thread Information