Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Temptation

Bike
    F3, DRZ400, RVF400, 250 XC-F
    Oh trust me I'm definitely tempted.... But the Tiger is perfectly fine...must keep telling myself that.....

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    KoroJ tried out some fording with the ST... after almost busting a hernia getting it back upright, I don't think he's keen to try again....
    What you talkin' 'bout!!??

........... He's convinced that when the weather improves and they put an ST1300 on the road, I need to have a ride. They're only $22k currently for a brand new one! Never ridden one...

I think I'd be tempted by it's replacement model... as the current is missing things like factory heated grips (not extra) and cruise control etc. Only problem is, who knows when that will happen.
    ST's don't need heated grips 'cos the mirrors divert the breeze and ones hands don't get cold.....and I always try to cruise in a controlled manner.

You do not like ST's, So you say.
    Try them! Try them! and you may.
    Try them and you may, I say.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    2011 H.D RoadKing

Thumbs up Way up North

Hi Alan, How are you. Just returned from Alaska. You would have enjoyed it if you love rocks, gravel and ice.
    Perfect for you.
    Cheers Ken

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Why do you need a near 40L tank and cruise control though? I understand range is nice. But I cannot think of stretch of road in NZ that'll limit your options to an uber tank and cruise control. Mind you, I'm just a homo with a GN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratast View Post
    Hi Alan, How are you. Just returned from Alaska. You would have enjoyed it if you love rocks, gravel and ice.
    Jealous Ken, very jealous...

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Why do you need a near 40L tank and cruise control though? I understand range is nice. But I cannot think of stretch of road in NZ that'll limit your options to an uber tank and cruise control. Mind you, I'm just a homo with a GN.
    I don't need 40L, but 20L won't cut it either. Gotta be a good 3-400km minimum as filling every 200km is very irritating. I've also needed 400km in some sections of NZ, especially getting through at night. For the gravel exploration stuff (not that you'd try that on an ST, Concours etc) having a full days gas is brilliant and stress free, allowing you to explore without needing to come out for gas.

Cruise control... I've lost my licence once, incredibly stressful, expensive in fines etc. Last thing I want is tickets for 115kph, and very easy to do. Couple that with high mileage and the fines are annoying, but it's the demerits that really nail you. Dial in the speed and forget. Choice I have it in the ute and constantly use it.

In reality, I think casper is correct. There is no other bike that meets all my needs, currently on the market. Not quite sure why I want something else, but then, that was the stupid thought process that kept going around in my mind. I guess I'd like a bit more road performance, but also know it would mean more tyres and more speed Brains are stupid sometimes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Ah riding at night.
    I forgot that the light goes away and gas stations close
    My shitheap ZX6 will manage 300km with a bit to spare with a bit of sillyness on its silly 18l tank. I'll sell ya that.
    As for cruise control, stop riding such comfy cushy bikes Cruise control is nice in a car, I use it in the Alfa GTA when I'm allowed in it because I have absolutely no self control
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    I seem to always get a bike itch, the GSA is the longest I've actually ever owned a bike. Previous was the KTM 990SM at 27.5 months. I've owned the GSA for 31 months. For the last few months I've been wondering... what if?
    Oh fuck it.

I've gone around in this stupid cycle 3 times this year... I think I've found the perfect bike?
    How long ago was it when I first said to you that I saw knobblies in your future? You didn't believe me as I recall.
    You have had a taste but you haven't really felt the full effect yet. They are still waiting.

When they do catch up to you, the attraction is hard to dismiss. As your bike associated activities and your comments about licence retention indicate, you are becoming more sedate and there's nothing at all wrong with that. In my opinion, there's a strong element of wisdom and maturity involved.

Sadly, (for the wallet at least) it takes more than one bike to cover the bases.
    In my case, the plan is for another 6 weeks in the Oz outback next year, then a visit to the 75th anniversary of Sturgis in 2015, followed by lotsa playtime 2 up, in the Rockies and other non flat territory afterwards. Now, there is no single bike out there that adequately covers that range of activities. The US trip will involve buying a bike over there and bringing it back. I want something that is happy and capable on the seal, 2 up with luggage, but doesn't mind too much when the seal runs out.
    It could well be a GS or GSA don't you think?
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    I know where there's a 2010 Concours in great nick lowish k's for around the $15k mark, ideal for "another" bike, keep the GSA. I like the new FJR too, it's got cruise which is nice and there is an electronically adjustable suspension version coming out soon I understand.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    It could well be a GS or GSA don't you think?
    I think your physical size would preclude a GSA, but I do have a small amount of experience.

The GS style bike is a brilliant all terrain tourer, with trade offs obviously, but otherwise only limited by your skill and tyre choice. I should probably add stupidity as well. No one in their right mind would take the bike some places I have.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Oh, even the F800GS Adventure could be tempting, but more on the adventure end, and not nearly as good for 2up marshalling stuff... the 1200GSA really is pretty handy at so many things.
    Is this bike even coming to NZ do you know? Been out for quite a while but haven't seen any here yet. There's only around 15kg's difference between that and a 1200GS anyway so I wonder about its place.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    Is this bike even coming to NZ do you know? Been out for quite a while but haven't seen any here yet. There's only around 15kg's difference between that and a 1200GS anyway so I wonder about its place.
    No idea, not really a bike on my interest list. I would say the difference is a bit biased. That's a 12GS vs 8GSA, and an 8GS would be lighter. Still, that's that. A review said the F800GSA is around 226kg, fueled etc, whereas the R1200GSA is around 256kg I think? from literature I read a while ago.

The 12GSA is also too big for your average sized person, hell, even at 6'3, on rough roads, keeping it upright during U-turns etc it's a handful, so there's definitely a market for most of the same features, while able to be handled by more people. The electrical output is only 400W though, I reckon that's pathetic. The 12GS/12GSA are 720W.

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You mentioned the 800 Adv could be tempting in your earlier post hence my bringing it up is all. Both the 800 and 1200 Adv models have the same seat height too @ 890mm.

Wet weights:
    F800GS - 210kg's
    F800GSA - 228kg's
    1200GS - 239kg's
    1200GSA - 256kg's

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    You mentioned the 800 Adv could be tempting in your earlier post hence my bringing it up is all. Both the 800 and 1200 Adv models have the same seat height too @ 890mm.
    Fairy muff, except lots of bikes are tempting... can only afford to have 1 or 2 A garage housing a fleet might get expensive.

Good facts, and silly to have both bikes at 890mm seat. I know the R12 seat is adjustable between two height settings. The 800 is certainly more off road biased, 21 inch front etc. However, it also means it's tyre options are more limited for road stuff...

Bike
    2015 R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Does shaft vs chain factor into your internal debate for the 'perfect' bike?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Does shaft vs chain factor into your internal debate for the 'perfect' bike?
    Probably... since having a shaft I do bugger all maintenance to chain driven bikes Even filling a scottoiler is a little hard, as the mechanics keep reminding me...

Much easier to tell the shop to replace the fluid while they are servicing other things... so yes, I like shafts, but they has to be reliable (and yes, mine has been faultless)

Thread Information