Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate bike advice?

Bike
    ER500

Intermediate bike advice?

Hi all,

This is my first post, so take it easy on me.

I've been riding for roughly a year and have put about 7,000 km into my little VTR250, most of it during daily commute. I just took my restricted test, so it's going to be another 18 months before I can get a 'proper' bike (I'm now thinking an SV650). Anyway, I have started to look into possibly getting something in between for the meantime: most likely a Kawasaki ER500 or a Suzuki GS500. I know these bikes tend to get mixed reviews and are labelled boring and whatnot, but would they be a good step-up bike from a 250? I mean would they prepare me well for a bigger bike? Or should I just not bother and keep riding my VTR (which I do love, by the way) all the way to the 650? How are service costs for the 500 bikes? Anything else I should think about? Thanks!

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ivelramit View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post, so take it easy on me.

I've been riding for roughly a year and have put about 7,000 km into my little VTR250, most of it during daily commute. I just took my restricted test, so it's going to be another 18 months before I can get a 'proper' bike (I'm now thinking an SV650). Anyway, I have started to look into possibly getting something in between for the meantime: most likely a Kawasaki ER500 or a Suzuki GS500. I know these bikes tend to get mixed reviews and are labelled boring and whatnot, but would they be a good step-up bike from a 250? I mean would they prepare me well for a bigger bike? Or should I just not bother and keep riding my VTR (which I do love, by the way) all the way to the 650? How are service costs for the 500 bikes? Anything else I should think about? Thanks!
    honda bros either 400 or 650, great bikes and i reckon way betterer than the kawi or suzi
    got one in the hutt you can have a sit on to see what you think if you like

Bike
    ER500
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    honda bros either 400 or 650, great bikes and i reckon way betterer than the kawi or suzi
    got one in the hutt you can have a sit on to see what you think if you like
    Thanks. I've heard good things about the BROS, but my concern is that it's an older model and the ones I've seen for sale have at least 40,000-50,000 kms on them. I think I'd prefer something less used (in the 10,000-15,000 km range) which is why I looked at ER and the GS.

Bike
    They're not much of a step up but they won't cost any more to run. If you've got the money to spare and you're after the excitement of buying something new then go for it, if you stick with your VTR you won't be missing much though.

They'll prepare for a bigger bike in the sense that they have a little more power (not much), are a little bit heavier and a little bit physically bigger.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    I vote: Stick with the VTR. They're a good bike. It's incredible the amount of skill that can be learned on a smaller bike. After 18 more months on it you'll be a force to be reckoned with on something like an SV650. Why lose more money on the way through?
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    suzuki
    Thanks. I've heard good things about the BROS, but my concern is that it's an older model and the ones I've seen for sale have at least 40,000-50,000 kms on them. I think I'd prefer something less used (in the 10,000-15,000 km range) which is why I looked at ER and the GS.
    mileage is one thing, how it is done is another ie maintained etc and often higher lielage bikes have mainly done longer trips, the Bros is water cooled and will keep on going for a long time, there are low mileage ones out there in good nick still

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s

Blah

Regarding the Bros, the ultimate gay honda ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bros

Bike
    ER500
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    Regarding the Bros, the ultimate gay honda ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bros
    Haha, I never thought of that one! Nevertheless, I do not rule out considering a bros. But it does seem like it's perhaps easier to find a Kawasaki or a Suzuki in good condition.

For those of you who say it's not much of a step-up: on paper, the 500 bikes have about twice the HP and twice the torque than my VTR. That's why I originally thought they could be a good option for an intermediate bike. Or is that not the right way to think about this? Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone!

Bike
    bandit
    Don't go with the Suzuki GS500 ... slow and lumbering .. and mechanics tell me they break often ...

Maybe have a look at a Bandit 600 ... Something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-624074528.htm
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Maybe have a look at a Bandit 600 ... Something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-624074528.htm
    Not even close to LAMS legal.

Bike
    For those of you who say it's not much of a step-up: on paper, the 500 bikes have about twice the HP and twice the torque than my VTR. That's why I originally thought they could be a good option for an intermediate bike. Or is that not the right way to think about this? Anyway, thanks for the advice, everyone!
    They are faster and they are a good intermediate bike. They're just not much faster, certainly not twice as fast. More like 15%.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Not even close to LAMS legal.
    Oh .. yeah .. sorry ... us older ones are inclined to forget about the new licence requirements.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    My Spada is my first step up, which is pretty much what you already have in your vtr. Next step up might possibly be the KTM Duke 390
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
    My Spada is my first step up, which is pretty much what you already have in your vtr. Next step up might possibly be the KTM Duke 390
    Here ya go. Cat, pigeons etc.

I'm of a school of thought that the more varied your riding experience the betterer you become as a rider so summit like the KTM though not a bigger bike as such is a very different set of wheels.
    Was gonna ask why your looking specifically at road bikes but I think Grashopper's post will get that discussion rolling.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ER500
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Here ya go. Cat, pigeons etc.

I'm of a school of thought that the more varied your riding experience the betterer you become as a rider so summit like the KTM though not a bigger bike as such is a very different set of wheels.
    Was gonna ask why your looking specifically at road bikes but I think Grashopper's post will get that discussion rolling.
    That may be true, and I admit I didn't consider other types of bikes. I guess I just felt that for the type of riding I do, a (not very sporty) road bike was most appropriate... The Duke does indeed look like a sweet set of wheels. However, it is not an option for me right now for the same reason a CBR500 is not an option: it's a new model so it's very pricey. Don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a bike I'm planning to keep for only a year or so!

Thread Information