Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Been in a crash: Insurance advice?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't have mattered if you had insurance, they probably wouldn't have covered you any way if the bike is outside of your license restriction(s)?
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    The troll is a cop
    This I do know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    As said, who services the bike etc?

Otherwise, VFR, I'd recommend Botany Honda if they are near you (pro tip, "Auckland" doesn't exactly narrow things down). They're well versed in writing up insurance claims etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Glad your alright mate and glad you didn't get up and king hit the bitch to the face as I probably would have done...
    I personally can't afford insurance atm so I'm running the risk of riding without it. Maybe I should get it though

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Re insurance: you cannot place the claim on the lady's behalf. Its her insurance, so she has to be the one making the claim.
    Due to the privacy act you cant ring up and ask about her insurance. Basically you need to harass her into making a claim, then the insurance company will also deal with you. Having witnesses to prove its her fault helps, because they will try to defend their client.

Having your own insurance is always a good idea. If you were insured, you could ring and make a claim with your provider, and they would chase the woman and her insurance company on your behalf. Also being insured means you would be paid out on your insurance company's terms. Not being insured means its down to her insuruer to decide what your vehicle is worth.
    Basically, ring her up and make sure she has placed a claim.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Richard @ Botany Honda?...is that in your area?
    +1 Richard's a good bloke. Real professional, efficient and conscientious.

My only repair experience is with Colemans and I wasn't 100% happy with their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    (pro tip, "Auckland" doesn't exactly narrow things down).
    OP's out west in the ranges...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    VFR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    As said, who services the bike etc?

Otherwise, VFR, I'd recommend Botany Honda if they are near you (pro tip, "Auckland" doesn't exactly narrow things down). They're well versed in writing up insurance claims etc.
    One thing I've learned, is jeezus does bouncing down the road make you sore as the day after. Hardly felt a thing for a few hours afterwards. Feeling it now!

It's a new (to me) bike. Only a week or two old. I haven't had it anywhere for a service yet. Typically, I use George, but I don't think this is his usual sort of work. A proper shop would be better equipped to deal with it.

I popped into Botany Honda once while oogling bikes, and the guys on the floor seemed pretty decent. I'll give them a ring and see if they deal with this sort of thing.

Lots of helpful info in here. Thanks a bunch guys and gals.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Hope sore body bits is all you need to worry about, Glowerss... Take care, dude.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    All this about calling the cops.

Whats the point? It's not their job to pursue insurance claims.

Funny, everyone bags the cops, then screams for them when it's someone else's fault.

Troll.
    it gives the lazy cunts something to do when they arnt fitting people up for murder..............troll

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Glad your alright mate and glad you didn't get up and king hit the bitch to the face as I probably would have done...
    I personally can't afford insurance atm so I'm running the risk of riding without it. Maybe I should get it though
    whats the worst that can happen??? Tbone a new merc??? they would probably let you pay it off at $100 a wee for the next 30 years

Bike
    1999 Honda Hornet CB600FX
    Glad to hear you're ok Glowerss.
    Pity about the new bike, but that can be fixed. Let us know how that is going, e.g. following up with that lady and insurance etc.
    ---------------------------
    Disclaimer: Any lapses in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.
    ---------------------------

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Demand what you want like a MAN!

Bike
    A black one
    Sad to hear about the crash. Had one myself earlier in the year and we both had full cover fotunately.

On the flipside, if you're the party that's uninsured it can be a bit of a bugger. At least in my case it was with my car a few months ago. Postie ran into it and I had to deal with the insurance company directly instead of my insurance company chasing them up for me, because I only have third party on my car and apparently that's as good as not having insurance I was told.

+1 for using your own repairer also, or at least one that is vouched for by a friend. I used one that was on the insurer's pre-approved list and they did an utterly shithouse job. ISO certified my ass.

But like others have said, stand your ground, be polite but firm. Her fault, she pays.

The one positive note about crashes is that they somewhat reset your 'comfort' setting. After riding a while without incident you get comfortable with yourself. A crash helps you become just that much more aware and really wakes you up.

Shiny side up, ride safe! All the best for a speedy recovery without lingering niggles.

Bike
    VFR
    As an update, Fintel and the lady in question thus far have been delightful to deal with.

Lady called her insurance co promptly at 8:30 this morning, called to see how I was, and gave me a claim number straight away. Fintel said they'd paid for somebody to tow it away, and told me to take it to a shop to get the damage assessed. Didn't matter which one. They may later specify which one they want it repaired at, but for the moment it's going to Botany Honda.

The guy at Botany Honda was a right pleasure to deal with as well. They'll send a van out to pick the bike up tomorrow, and let me know what's broked.

I'm feeling pretty fortunate right now, because as far as I can tell, everybody (at least at this moment) is fairly upstanding. Will see how long it lasts I suppose.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Awesome outcome so far!

Thread Information