Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Street Triple R on Akaroa Highway? (2 January)

Bike
    Big red

Orange Street Triple R on Akaroa Highway? (2 January)

Orange Street Triple R on Akaroa Highway today, with a Ventura pack - if this was you, take a bow for your superb textbook cornering technique. I'm guessing you are either; an old biker with years of experience, a racer, a ex pat POM with Roadcraft experience, an instructor or an ex biker cop. You were smooth, fast and safe. Bloody impressive! Was hoping you'd stop in Little River for a chat, maybe next time!

Bike
    Sold
    I'd say you're pretty much on the money - sounds like Simon, one of our IAM Observers in Chch. Young fella though, not an old bugger like me

Thanks, I'll let him know!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    There is no such thing as being fast and safe and while I will admit to exceeding the speed limit at times I am fully aware there is a safety trade off in emergency stopping time. I am sure the police would not have dropped the speed tolerance if they felt high speed offered better road safety. I do disagree with the dropping of the tolerance by the way
    Muppet said he was fast which doesn't necessarily mean breaking speed limits!

Bike
    Sold
    I would never have considered our speed limits fast in the first place but you do?
    Not at all but if there are tight corners on a road with an open road limit, you can really attack them without breaking the law. I thought that was a reasonable scenario out Akaroa way. The lines/position you take together with the right gear and a few other things quickly shows who knows Roadcraft!

Bike
    Dont have one now
    There is no such thing as being fast and safe and while I will admit to exceeding the speed limit at times I am fully aware there is a safety trade off in emergency stopping time. I am sure the police would not have dropped the speed tolerance if they felt high speed offered better road safety. I do disagree with the dropping of the tolerance by the way
    Wtf? Who let nana out?

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Ok I possibly understand what poster 1 was saying that the rider they saw looked like they were cornering on a racetrack with their knee almost touching the road. It is easy to fall off too cornering like that as many do on racetracks. So their point about it being safe is very doubtful anyway in my opinion. I would be interested in seeing any comment from Rastus as to how safe he considers racetrack cornering on the road considering he patrols in that area.
    Ah I get it, you're on the windup.

Bike
    The Conscience
    Ok I possibly understand what poster 1 was saying that the rider they saw looked like they were cornering on a racetrack with their knee almost touching the road. It is easy to fall off too cornering like that as many do on racetracks. So their point about it being safe is very doubtful anyway in my opinion. I would be interested in seeing any comment from Rastus as to how safe he considers racetrack cornering on the road considering he patrols in that area.
    Who said anything about racetrack cornering? In fact I can guarantee the rider in question was not using racetrack cornering. Believe it or not there are ways of travelling rapidly and smoothly without getting your knee down, or breaking the speed limit.
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    Big red
    As someone else has said, fast doesn't mean breaking the speed limit, which this chap wasn't while I was following him. He, like me, went around the corners staying as far wide as possible until he could see his way through and powered out. When I said fast I'm talking about in comparison to cars and other traffic, some of which pulled over to let us pass.

It's quite common to see people cornering as if they know what lies ahead but in reality on the road, none of us do. This guy clearly knew what he was doing and I'm not surprised he is trained in Roadcraft.

Bike
    Big red
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I'd say you're pretty much on the money - sounds like Simon, one of our IAM Observers in Chch. Young fella though, not an old bugger like me

Thanks, I'll let him know!
    I was filming my ride today and have very good HD footage of him. If he wants to PM me with an email address I will make sure he gets to see it. If he's only a young guy then hats off to him. Quite a good ad for the Street Triple R but I quite like the look of MT-09 at Trevor Pierce Yamaha myself.....

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    I was filming my ride today and have very good HD footage of him. If he wants to PM me with an email address I will make sure he gets to see it. If he's only a young guy then hats off to him. Quite a good ad for the Street Triple R but I quite like the look of MT-09 at Trevor Pierce Yamaha myself.....
    Chuck it on youtube for us all to see

Bike
    2004 SV1K

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    He, like me, went around the corners staying as far wide as possible until he could see his way through and powered out.
    And therein lies my only problem with the whole IAM ethos.

It would appear that staying wide in a corner (in order to maximise your view through a corner) out-weighs the inherent danger of positioning yourself somewhere that is highly likely to be scattered with roadside detritus.

I would rather sacrifice a bit of corner speed (and keep away from the road verge) to give myself a greater margin of safety when negotiating a blind corner.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Thats understandable if he knew the curvature of each bend in the road but if someone comes around the bend slightly over the centre line he has less likelyhood of avoiding a crash than the cars he overtook.

Katman is that you?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    We'll await the video footage with popcorn in hand... But I think what he was saying is there is a lot of people who can even make legal speeds/cornering styles look ugly.
    You know like those car drivers that don't exceed the speed limit but are constantly wandering within their lane and speed up slow down with no purpose etc...
    Same with some truck drivers can make a unit look nervous while others keep it smooth. One of the greatest compliments I had was when another driver asked if I was empty as my trailer wasn't waving about on certain rough stretch of road, nah mate double stacked with glass bottles 44ton.
    No matter what your driving its all about the transition from braking to throttle and how you move yourself about in seat etc...

Bike
    Speed Triple
    I can see this saga ending in date rape.

Or at least hand holding and sunsets.

Thread Information