Thread: Taking my bike overseas and registration

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Taking my bike overseas and registration

Plan to take my bike to Europe this year. My rego will run out while away so thought I might put the rego on hold while away.

Will that (no rego) cause problems when away?

Thank you

Mike

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Took my Kombi to Europe 10 years ago, put the rego on hold. Reregistered it in Ireland which was a hassle me being a non resident and them being only used to people leaving the place.
    Brought Kombi back, Customs tried to charge me GST on the vehicle but I told them that it was from here, heres the papers, rego on hold. Clearly they had not stuck this before.
    Got MAF clearance, connected up battery and drove off.
    I took a BMW from Aussie in the late 80's and registered it in the UK after a couple of Euro trips on the Aussie plate....Customs at Dover said to get if sorted.
    Thing in Europe/UK is insurance and ' the green card"( if they still use that). I'd suggest you find out if you can get insurance before you leave here or find a place in London that does it for foreign plated bikes.
    I'd suggest ADV rider as a place to look at overseas bike trips.
    Enjoy your travels, you'll remember them for years.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Yamaha TDM
    How long you going for?
    cant you just put a bit more rego on the bike
    have been in a few countries when things go wrong,
    can be a real hassle
    and COST
    And that is the honest truth your honour..

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by kevfromcoro View Post
    How long you going for?
    cant you just put a bit more rego on the bike
    have been in a few countries when things go wrong,
    can be a real hassle
    and COST
    Bike will be away for about 6 months so I thought I could save some dollars by putting it on hold (rego is due not long after it leaves the country) but as you have suggested maybe best to register it to avoid hassles?

Thank you

Mike

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    For my travels to USA, the bike was allowed into the country on carnet for up to 3 months I think, but had to remain registered in it's home country, ostensibly for it to be allowed on the road.

As for Europe, with mandatory insurance, it's a real nightmare between a foreign bike, foreign person and multiple countries. You'd need to find out what's possible, and I remember my boss having some issues. As a tourist, it was hard to purchase a bike and arrange insurance. Shipping and then insuring his own bike was impossible I think. Things are setup for hiring, but for long term trips, it's not a viable option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    In most cases ... the registration in "Other" countries can be achieved using NZ plates (if NO same/similar plates exists in countries visited) Often no RE registration (NEW plates) in other countries is required if current registration in it's "Home" country exists.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information