Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding like a dickhead - confessions of an old biker.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Riding like a dickhead - confessions of an old biker.

Just saw this. Kind of feel it hits the mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqxEyKv_Lrw

Lots of crashes on group rides.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Great message

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Lovely production values but...do people watch commercials like this anymore?
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Lovely production values but...do people watch commercials like this anymore?
    Throw it onto the various channels where people consume their advertising and you'll catch the majority.

It's not just TV any more, most video is consumed on phones these days. Via social media.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Throw it onto the various channels where people consume their advertising and you'll catch the majority.

It's not just TV any more, most video is consumed on phones these days. Via social media.
    I'm not a social media user but I pretty much ignore any of the ads I see online, even on streaming platforms.

I might be a demographic of one, though.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm not a social media user but I pretty much ignore any of the ads I see online, even on streaming platforms.

I might be a demographic of one, though.
    If advertising didn't work, they wouldn't do it. It may not work for you, but it works.

Bike
    suzuki
    If advertising didn't work, they wouldn't do it. It may not work for you, but it works.
    if advertising works then why haven't woke kotahi and all those other agencies used it as a form of education for road craft, I did a defensive driving course decades ago, some of those points still stick with me, and i pass them on to others, and i often wonder why they didn't turn those into adverts

for example when your blinker blinks faster than normal its telling you something, but i bet the percentage of people who actually know what is low, and way lower before led bulbs brought on this symptom like in recent years.
    And yet, people unknowingly drive thinking they are in fact indicating, when in reality a bulb is out.
    the results are pretty horrific when you think of what can and what does happen, yet no adverts ever have been done about this and many other things?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, also I don't ride like a dickhead so not the target market.*

*At least it was never about speed or keeping up with people for me, more about lack of skill, confidence and co-ordination.
    Last edited by nerrrd; 8th April 2024 at 12:53. Reason: Upon reflection...
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Fair enough, also I don't ride like a dickhead so not the target market.*
    And Theron lies the problem. No one will ever admit their riding isn’t that flash (not talking about you) or that the guys they are riding with are complete tools.

Because if people were conscious of their own limitations and their mates then the bad group rides and de visions wouldn’t happen.

Perhaps that ad should be te filmed…. “ I thought my mates were pretty sharp til one of them rammed me off the road” etc…
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I tried finding stats on Mc vs Mc but hard to find anything. But agree 100% group rides are trouble.

This was interesting but not much new https://www.taupodc.govt.nz/reposito...t-of-Truth.pdf

The guts it is lots of older riders are dying(because we frail old buggers). 3/4 of our bad accidents happen rural areas so delayed access to healthcare. Crashes are trending upwards, probably inline with our long term increase in personal wealth. So we’re riding more in our final years and we’re buying faster more powerful machines that would whip the GP bikes of our youth at the same time as our reactions/cognitive ability and physical reactions are in natural decline.

Of note is lack of head injuries (%wise) for MC which says helmets work, should we make car drivers wear them???
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

Of note is lack of head injuries (%wise) for MC which says helmets work, should we make car drivers wear them???
    We inflict helmets on cyclists. So why not car occupants?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Who would have thought that if you pulled out to overtake without looking behind you you might get shunted off the road?

Next up is The Red Traffic Signal Means Stop brought to you by some twat who never bothered until he got mounted by a Toyota Hilux followed next week by Roads are Slippery When Wet presented by someone in a hedge.

Basic basic shit.

Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    I tried finding stats on Mc vs Mc but hard to find anything.
    173 injury crashes in last five years involving two or more motorbikes

Five crashes of the type described, bike pulls out and gets hit by another bike behind them. 12 crashes were ‘other’ types of overtaking crashes which means weird ones, like two bikes overtaking a car at the same time and clipping handle bars. By comparison 43 crashes were a rear end of some kind. I would wager that group rides feature in those numbers.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    *At least it was never about speed or keeping up with people for me, more about lack of skill, confidence and co-ordination.
    Not for you perhaps but for too many it is.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Heard another in what must be the same series on the radio, this one about riding after drinking I think?
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Who would have thought that if you pulled out to overtake without looking behind you you might get shunted off the road?

Next up is The Red Traffic Signal Means Stop brought to you by some twat who never bothered until he got mounted by a Toyota Hilux followed next week by Roads are Slippery When Wet presented by someone in a hedge.

Basic basic shit.

173 injury crashes in last five years involving two or more motorbikes

Five crashes of the type described, bike pulls out and gets hit by another bike behind them. 12 crashes were ‘other’ types of overtaking crashes which means weird ones, like two bikes overtaking a car at the same time and clipping handle bars. By comparison 43 crashes were a rear end of some kind. I would wager that group rides feature in those numbers.
    I wager that you are 100% correct in that it takes at least a group of two to have an accident with another motorcycle. A LOT of my riding was with groups but it was mostly the same individuals,we had a very good understanding of what each of us would do . I dont recall ever talking about it but i dont recall any incidents within the group.

Thread Information