Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda XR250 seized - advice?

Bike
    1990 Honda XR250

Honda XR250 seized - advice?

Was riding my 1990 xr250 along the motorway today, found it started losing power, I thought it might be out of fuel so I switched to reserve.

Back wheel then locked up and I rolled to the side of the motorway. Tried kicking it over and it's rock solid... Refilled it with oil (yes, it had run dry) and left it for an hour, but it's still seized.

So, I'm wondering whether I a) take it into a bike shop for assessment, b) just take it home and try find a wrecker who has a top end or complete motor.
    I imagine a complete motor for a common bike like this would be around $350-400 ? And a bike shop would take at least an hour to assess @ $80ph exc., so I'm thinking it might be worth just replacing the engine myself?

Thoughts on these above estimates or replacing an engine like this?

Ps it ran out of oil because I didn't check it, it was burning or leaking and I didn't know... Just replaced oil & filter a few weeks ago.

Also thanks to the guy who stopped for me on the northern motorway, was riding a white bike, sorry I didn't get your name but appreciated your help!

Cheers

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Where there's a will, there's a way.
    There's also an inheritance, which comes in handy.

Bike
    Various things
    The motor is junk put it in the bin. You're very lucky it didn't lock up and throw you on your head. Lesson learnt I hope. Takes two secs to check the oil level.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremysprite View Post
    Refilled it with oil (yes, it had run dry) and left it for an hour, but it's still seized.
    Really? Even after a whole hour of sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremysprite
    try find a wrecker who has a top end or complete motor.
    I think you might be needing a bottom end before you need a new top end.

Bike
    1990 Honda XR250
    I thought the piston was more likely to seize than something on the bottom end? What would go wrong with the bottom end without much oil?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... I thought it might be out of fuel so I switched to reserve.
    So you hadn't checked your fuel status either ... ???

...Tried kicking it over and it's rock solid... Refilled it with oil (yes, it had run dry) and left it for an hour, but it's still seized.
    Optimistic ... but welcome to the real world ...

So, I'm wondering whether I a) take it into a bike shop for assessment, b) just take it home and try find a wrecker who has a top end or complete motor.
    A free assessment here ... It's fucked. Find a complete motor. E.mail / Google .. all the bike wreckers you can find ...

Thoughts on these above estimates or replacing an engine like this?
    Let YOUR fingers do the walking ... being lazy gets you nowhere ... as you have just found.

Ps it ran out of oil because I didn't check it, it was burning or leaking and I didn't know... Just replaced oil & filter a few weeks ago.
    The greatest risk of leaks is just after oil/filter changes ... especially if you did it yourself. And always before any use ... otherwise it can get expensive (not to mention embarrassing)

Sell your fancy phone and get a cheap one ... you might need the money ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1990 Honda XR250
    It's a work phone :-)

Thanks, was just looking for a quick idea of cost as wreckers are shut today too help decide what to do (bike shop vs do it myself)

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    sad news man, but a lesson all the same. any old worn rfvc engine aint worth touching with a spanner (trust me ) so i hope you can find a motor
    theyre a common bike yes, but every single one of them gets used to within an inch of its life therefore finding a decent engine may be a chore..and a bit heavy on the wallet altho i couldnt quote what one would cost you. id look for a parts bike if poss.
    good luck bro
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I thought the piston was more likely to seize than something on the bottom end? What would go wrong with the bottom end without much oil?
    Bearings need lubrication .... and there are LOT'S of them in the bottom end/gearbox (lubricated by the SAME oil)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1990 Honda XR250
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    sad news man, but a lesson all the same. any old worn rfvc engine aint worth touching with a spanner (trust me ) so i hope you can find a motor
    theyre a common bike yes, but every single one of them gets used to within an inch of its life therefore finding a decent engine may be a chore..and a bit heavy on the wallet altho i couldnt quote what one would cost you. id look for a parts bike if poss.
    good luck bro
    Thanks man

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Bearings need lubrication .... and there are LOT'S of them in the bottom end/gearbox (lubricated by the SAME oil)
    Ain't nothing wrong with his gearbox bearings. They'll last surprisingly long with just boundry lubrication. But the big end, mains and cam bearing, piston etc a no go.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    If you're gonna repair, just slap a new(er) engine in. You'll be pushed to find anything not raped for $300 though.
    Try this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-694000485.htm
    Bigger engine, should fit up ok, might need engine mount mods to make work. Don't know how much of a "freshen up" it needs, pay to ask first!

Full bottom end rebuild is going to cost you big time sonny, oil is cheap, rebuilds are not.
    If all this is price prohibitive, sell it as rolling chassis to highest bidder, or part it out completely, you'll spend more time doing it but get much more of your hard earned cash back.

Bike
    1990 Honda XR250
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    If you're gonna repair, just slap a new(er) engine in. You'll be pushed to find anything not raped for $300 though.
    Try this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-694000485.htm
    Bigger engine, should fit up ok, might need engine mount mods to make work. Don't know how much of a "freshen up" it needs, pay to ask first!

Full bottom end rebuild is going to cost you big time sonny, oil is cheap, rebuilds are not.
    If all this is price prohibitive, sell it as rolling chassis to highest bidder, or part it out completely, you'll spend more time doing it but get much more of your hard earned cash back.
    Yeah the xr400 not a straight swap unfortunately, I'd have to get it re-certified if it's bigger right? Or more than 20% power gain?

Does anyone know if the newer xr 250 engine would fit?

I actually really like the bike so do want to repair... But reason will hopefully win out!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

I know it's mean, but....

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, fail!

It's the crank that's seized for sure. Lucky for the other road users you didn't snap the rod and leave bits of engine all down the road.

Anyhoo, good luck with the motor search. Hope it doesn't cost too much.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    With old Hondas like this its more likely its seized the plain cam bearings than a crankshaft but either way its more than likely beyond an economical repair.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Takes two secs to check the oil level.
    Not on my Triumph.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information