Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking of getting into dirt. What bike?

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post

get something that weighs 100kgs so you can pick it up, electric start and about 30HP, a four stroke 250.
    Good advice..... but the thing I struggled with is the hours they do before the engine overhaul for most of the bikes in this class, If you are of smaller build the CRF 230 almost does it, still a little heavy but to small for bigger build people. (Not looking for me but a friend...I used to ride an XR600 so the DRZ is light :P) I guess if you dont ride every weekend it takes a while to build up the hours but buying used is a lottery as to how many hours they have done and exactly what was done when serviced.

Bike
    Various things
    We may have to agree to disgree then, I've ridden the DRZ as an adventure bike and there is no way I'm taking a 130kg lump into steep terrain when I can shed 30kgs by chosing a better bike.

I acknowledge you can use a DRZ as a trail bike but why would you if you have the choice of a better tool?
    I hear ya re the weight don't worry. But to me...the op wants a trail bike...and to get something down to 100kg's in a 4t...we're pretty much talking the highly strung put a piston in every 20hrs bunch of bikes no? But as we all know...every motorcycle on earth is a compromise of some sort.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    If that video doesn't convince you that a light bike is a good idea nothing will.

A DR is an adventure bike, not a trail bike, get something that weighs 100kgs so you can pick it up, electric start and about 30HP, a four stroke 250.

I don't know the Hondas' but get an entry level trail / enduro bike, not a motocross bike, ride it and see where you go from there, it's the bike to learn on, not the one to beat all your mates on.
    that video is n a RMZ250, fairly light bike, (lighter than a CRF250X) didnt help much

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I hear ya re the weight don't worry. But to me...the op wants a trail bike...and to get something down to 100kg's in a 4t...we're pretty much talking the highly strung put a piston in every 20hrs bunch of bikes no? But as we all know...every motorcycle on earth is a compromise of some sort.
    My 450 EXc has a couple of hundred hours on it and I expect to do the same again before needing any tear down, I'm sure some of the 250 4 strokes need lots of love but there are also some very durable engines, I would have thought a hundred hours was a reasonable expectation.
    Mind you, I've been wrong about a dozen times so far today so maybe listen to someone that knows more about them!

Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    that video is n a RMZ250, fairly light bike, (lighter than a CRF250X) didnt help much
    That's my point, if you can get stuck with a light bike imagine what a heavy one would do.... might be faster getting to the bottom tho, the extra mass might just accelerate the inevitable!

Edit,
    Maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle, my expectation is that the OP wants to take this into single track and steep terrain (Woodhill, Maramarua, Riverhead) if it's farm rides then I may be getting a bit carried away and a heavier bike is not such a big deal. Maybe it just needs two wheels and a bit of tread?

Bike
    Various things
    My 450 EXc has a couple of hundred hours on it and I expect to do the same again before needing any tear down, I'm sure some of the 250 4 strokes need lots of love but there are also some very durable engines, I would have thought a hundred hours was a reasonable expectation.
    !
    A couple of hundred hours without a rebuild? Holy shit if so!!!!

Bike
    2009 Honda CRF 450
    Get a 450 man. Sheesh just roll it on like the CBR and your good.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E

That's my point, if you can get stuck with a light bike imagine what a heavy one would do.... might be faster getting to the bottom tho, the extra mass might just accelerate the inevitable!

I think in the case of that video dropping it is more to do with the rider... talking to him after he got back to the pits he dropped it 25+ times on the lap, It was looking a little sad considering it was a basically new Demo bike he borrowed when he couldn't get his going and didn't have to part to fix his, He mentioned something about probably owns it now!

My heavy pig only got dropped once for the day...... but yes that 250 should have been easier to get around.
    Most of the Jap F models recommend 50 hour top end strip downs and 150 hour rebuilds from memory, Last Maramarua ride I did I rode from before official briefing (was briefed early and told go for it) until 3:30 with only one stop for a feed so for a top end strip it would be 6 -7 rides ...admittedly I wasn't going hard so you could easliy stretch those services out but beach & farm rides its pretty much tapped...

No Idea what KTM recommends service wise

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    No Idea what KTM recommends service wise
    Dunno. But the only two we've ever traded certainly didn't last that long.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    I'm a big KTM enduro bike fan, a mate has had a 300exc (2 stroke) that ran over 400 hours on the first piston, another has the same 450 as me and is over 400 hours now, only normal servicing. None of us are racing the bikes, we are putting around pretending we once knew how to ride.
    I have heard the 250s are more fragile but my experience leads me to expect a reasonable life from the engines. As usual YMMV......

Most of these bikes are well documented on the net so it's not hard to discover the strengths and weakness' of any bike your interested in buying.

Bike
    Various things
    I'm a big KTM enduro bike fan, a mate has had a 300exc (2 stroke) that ran over 400 hours on the first piston, another has the same 450 as me and is over 400 hours now, only normal servicing..
    Fucking Jesus! Can fully understand the smoker doing that...but the 450's...that is pretty bloody fantastic I must say. And I'm not here to sell KTM's!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Is it my imagination or has no-one mentioned KDX yet?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Is it my imagination or has no-one mentioned KDX yet?
    A KDX2 hundy would be/is awesome. But seems the op has his heart set on a diesel.

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Yammie WR250f is a good contender. I used to race cbr1000's and it means jack shit when going to dirt. So different in skill sets its not funny.
    I do lots of single track and occasionally farm trail rides, before I put the 269cc kit in it was still a fun bike when new to dirt. Leckie start to me is now a must have, had an xr400 prior and what a pig in compare, when you're stuffed the last thing ya want is to be kicking!
    The WR may get left behind the 450's on flat paddocks, still does 100kph with my lowered gearing, but come the tight techie stuff she's an absolute hoot.
    Oil change every 10hrs, air filter most rides, just a part of newer bikes.
    Mine had done about 4500kms when I put the big bore in, stock piston and cylinder still look new, valves have never moved, starts within half a turn mostly.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Crisis mentioned the bike he should have with the right power valve spring set up would be the closest to a diesel??
    He's a bit big for a 2hundy like mine so the 300exc would be the choice IMHO??
    Been around ages so any budget, will do 200 hours easy, tractor well, 102 kilo's, great for trail riding, you don't have to pour oil in to it B4 every damn ride, you can tune it to be a monster or a baby.

Understand it is (or was) the world most popular selling dirt bike???

Be my choice ( but I love my smokers)????

BTW Crasher seen this 2 stroke heaven
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130686005
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    Yammie WR250f is a good contender. I used to race cbr1000's and it means jack shit when going to dirt. .
    Amen brother!! Took me two years to unlearn my road bike tendancies!!
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Thread Information