Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ZXR250 vs GSX250 - Fight?

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
    thought you guys would have guessed lol.

I'm on a restricted license, learner bikes only lol
    Heaps of good bikes available on LAMS without having to piss around with 250s.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    thought you guys would have guessed lol.

I'm on a restricted license, learner bikes only lol
    go and research LAMS before you waste time on a clapped out 2 fiddy thats been raped!

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Ridden both, owned many ZXR250's...ZXR is by a long shot the better bike. Better performance in terms of power and handling is a primary point. ZXR also looks better IMO. A well tuned ZXR250 is a wicked wicked bike. Slightly bigger than the CBR250rr which suits bigger guys (I am 6ft 3), very similiar power but better handling (IMO).
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    go and research LAMS before you waste time on a clapped out 2 fiddy thats been raped!
    That said they're fawkin fun

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    6 months riding experience? A ZXR will bite your arse big time if you let it. Just casting my mind back and I can think of three KB members who have died riding a ZXR 250 in my time here. As another poster said ... look beyond the 250s and you may find a bike that's big and friendly. If budget limits things ... well if you were my son I'd say, "Go for the Suzuki".
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    That said they're fawkin fun
    yup, IF they are in good nick. More often than not, they have been somewhat neglected due to ignorance of newbie riders though, requiring a fair bit of attention before they perform in all aspects like they should.

Have had a few 'perfomance' 2 fiddies in my time, gsxr, fzr, zxr, tzr, nd a couple more, great fun once they are in good shape, but most newer riders really want (and need) something that will just go when they turn the thing on, and be low maintenance.

Bike
    Your mom
    Keep in mind since the ZXR is ancient it's likely to cost a fair bit of money to keep it maintained. Make you sure you bring all the maintenance up to scratch if you want semi reliable motoring out of it.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Those GSX250s are bags of crap. They are oil cooled twins and would be lucky to have half the power of the zxr.

Bike
    2007 GSXR 1000
    Your budget is going to really limit what you can get, but if you are set on only spending 2k then just keep trawling trademe and you will eventually come up with some good lam's approved bikes.

Like others have said ZXR's are good bikes, when they are good bikes. But most have been thrashed and not maintained and to get some simple issues fixed can often end up being very costly and or frustrating especially if your mechanical knowledge is not impeccable.

Something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-720231168.htm might not be a bad option, less power but a very light bike for sure and much more modern, possibly easier to get parts for? but tbh I have only dealt with the bigger brother rs250's and rgv's so could not be sure on that front.
    I felt an emotion bubbling up from the inside.
    It was warm.
    Is coffee an emotion?

Bike
    lambo
    Thanks all

Max $2500, will sell in 5 months after full license

Agree older bikes can be trouble, @ $2500 it's either CBR250 or ZXR. (Not a fan of 125)

Don't want a naked

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Thanks all

Max $2500, will sell in 5 months after full license

Agree older bikes can be trouble, @ $2500 it's either CBR250 or ZXR. (Not a fan of 125)

Don't want a naked
    if youre going to sell in 5 months, bu the cheapest piece of road legal shit you can find even if its a gn 125 for $500, and tough it out, then buy a decent bike.
    why fuckarse around for the sake of 5 fuckin months? youre only going to lose money on it.

Bike
    Bikes!
    The GSX is newer, but it's still 10 years old, so plenty of time to have been butchered and/or neglected. So yes, newer, but don't let that lull you into not looking as hard at it for problems.

Performance, the ZXR every day of the week. Their attitude is much more aggressive, they are more fun to ride.

The GSX is a really basic bike. It doesn't have the rock star appeal of the ZXR, but there is literally less to go wrong and/or maintain.

If you have a car as well, no question it's the ZXR. If this is your only transport, don't totally discount the ZXR, but suddenly there is an appeal to the more basic bike.

Only needing it for 6 months is a bonus... either might give you six months of pain, or six months of bliss.

Look really hard at each bike. Take somebody else to look at them. Ideally your father hates bikes, if so then he is perfect as he'll pick plenty of holes. You want someone who has ridden bikes for a while and knows a thing about them too.

If you're young on a typical crap wage, mad keen on bikes and definitely going to get your full license ASAP, only have 6 months to wait, spend as little as possible. Spend your money on good comfy leathers, a good quiet helmet, you'll get years from them. Spend as little as possible. Both of those auctions are ONO. That means neither seller has confidence in their price. Those are just starting points. If you just can't bring yourself to bargain like that, and don't worry some people can't, find someone who can and have them do it. Some people think it's rude, but I'm telling you now fuck that shit. Every hundy you save is your insurance/wof/rego/petrol/maintenance/oops I fucked it and need to pay my excess, money. Your money. Don't give it to them if you can avoid it.

Having said that. If you're rolling in disposable, ignore all that shit and buy the ZXR. Rape it till it cries enough and hope you've saved enough for the latest 600 you can get your dirty mits on.

There's good info in this thread. Be cold and objective. Don't just read the bits that reinforce what you want to hear.

Welcome to motorcycling, it's fucking awesome.

Bike
    ZXR has more appeal and therefore better (you'd hope) resale so if you've only using it for 5 months go for that.

If you're only riding for the winter though I would be getting a 'duel purpose' over a 'sports' bike, but meh.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    6 months riding experience? A ZXR will bite your arse big time if you let it. Just casting my mind back and I can think of three KB members who have died riding a ZXR 250 in my time here. As another poster said ... look beyond the 250s and you may find a bike that's big and friendly. If budget limits things ... well if you were my son I'd say, "Go for the Suzuki".
    I disagree completely. They have smooth, linear power delivery, have great adjustable suspension and also good brakes. Put on decent (not cheap an nasties) tyres and they grip the road insanely well. If someone has died on a ZXR250...then it's because of other factors, not because a ZXR (or any 4 stroke 250 for that matter) is too much bike. Any bike will bite your arse if you ride like a moron or make silly decisions/ride outside of your ability.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Oh...and I would go for a ZXR250 C model, not the A model. (The A model is the one with the two round headlights. C model is a lot better IMO).

Thread Information