Thread: Motorcycle Wof in Lower Hutt?

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C

Motorcycle Wof in Lower Hutt?

Hi i recently purchased a ZXR250C 1992, which needed some fixing up (repair cracked fairings, new headlight, new front subframe, new indicators) i have done all the work that needs doing and i now want to take it to get a warrant of fitness.

i have never done this for a bike (or car), so i was wondering where is the best place to take my bike for a WoF check in Lower Hutt/Upper Hutt/Wellington and what this will cost me??

Also what checks could i do myself to make sure it will pass its WoF?

cheers,
    Rose

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Hi Rose,
    shops? TSS in alicetown, is where I go, but there are other alternatives.

What can you do as a pre check(s)?

tyres, within legal tread depth, headstock bearings (steering bearings) for play, put the bike on centre stand, grab the bottom of the forks and try to move them backward and forwards. Check wheel bearings, try rocking the wheels side to side. Make sure all your lights work correctly. Check your brake pads and calipers, no badly loosened bodywork or 'dangerous' cracks. check sprockets for serious wear (hooked, deeply worn (teeth thin and very pointed), does the chain have 'tight spots' feels like a 'clunk' as you ride it? Knackered chain! with the bike on the sidestand try pulling the chain 'away' from the rear sprocket... if it is able to produce a gap of half or more of the depth of the sprocket teeth? Likely could be a WOF fail.
    those are the real basics to ensure a reasonable state of roadworthiness
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    mods..can we has stickies, perhaps by region for wof/good bugger shops?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    mods..can we has stickies, perhaps by region for wof/good bugger shops?
    OK, who has stolen his log in details?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    OK, who has stolen his log in details?
    im sorry .

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    the reason i want em is so fuckknuckles incapable of utilising internet search facilities dont feel compelled to whore my internet time with their bullshit fucking thread starts, if theres stickies, at least the whores can then then be ban-hamm0red for being fuckknuckles.

Todays mail was bought to you by the letter 3 and the number J.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    the reason i want em is so fuckknuckles incapable of utilising internet search facilities
    Yer a hard man Akzle, we were all noobs once. Well most of us were, some may have been born informed and experienced, but I wouldn't bet a wad on it.

To the OP, just check the lights, the horn, and maybe the tread depth, the tester will do it all anyway and if there are problems they'll even write it all down for you.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C
    thanks
    i am mainly wanting to know general prices for each place as i am a student and want to find a cheap/good place to go to.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseZXR View Post
    thanks
    i am mainly wanting to know general prices for each place as i am a student and want to find a cheap/good place to go to.
    If the bike hasn't been deregistered after the accident damage, you could just go to VTNZ. Ring your nearest VTNZ to find out when and if they've got a motorcycle tester, and ask about the student discount days too.

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C
    bike hasn't been deregistered, thanks will look into the student discount.

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C
    took bike for WOF today

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    took bike to VTNZ in sea view today and bike failed wot because my headlight beam was to high and my indicator warning light on the odometer was not working.
    could anyone advise me on how to fix these myself. i ride a ZXR250C 1992

cheers.
    headlight should be on a screw adjust. They would have done it for you, but bosslady complained about shit and fucked your day up.

Indicator warning lamp??? A wof issue? Did you piss anyone off? Does the bike look like a piece of shit? Thats an odd thing to fail.
    Check the bulb, first up.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    took bike to VTNZ in sea view today and bike failed wot because my headlight beam was to high and my indicator warning light on the odometer was not working.
    could anyone advise me on how to fix these myself. i ride a ZXR250C 1992

cheers.
    Dunno. But I reckon if you call in to the workshop entrance at any bike shop they'll either show you how or do it for bugger all. They want you to come back and buy tyres and gear from them, so they're usually helpful. VTNZ just want you to bugger off, I avoid them if possible.

If the indicators are working then the instrument/dash light will almost certainly be just a bulb. The headlight adjustment might be hard to find, see if you can scare up a copy of a manual on line.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1992 ZXR250C
    i reread the service manual for my bike a found how to adjust the headlamps but i have no idea on what height they are suppose to be anyway and how to measure that they are even at the correct height.

yeah I'm thinking either i need to replace the bulb for the odometer or a wire has come loose or something.

not sure why this is even an issue as i can see when my indictors are on anyway, but I'm not complaining they passed everything else that i thought would fail.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    i reread the service manual for my bike a found how to adjust the headlamps but i have no idea on what height they are suppose to be anyway and how to measure that they are even at the correct height.

yeah I'm thinking either i need to replace the bulb for the odometer or a wire has come loose or something.

not sure why this is even an issue as i can see when my indictors are on anyway, but I'm not complaining they passed everything else that i thought would fail.
    Easy. Get a tape measure and with someone sitting on the bike measure the height of the headlight, the point where it's brightest.

Find a level driveway/park at least 8-10 Metres long with a wall or garage door at one end and stick a bit of masking tape on the door/wall at the same height as your headlight. With someone sitting on the bike 8-10 metres away the brightest bit of the headlight low beam should be 50-60mm below the tape. High beam can be almost on the tape.

Before you do that check that any adjustments on the suspension are set to suit your weight.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information