Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best bike for gravel?

Quote Originally Posted by cs363 View Post
    I did a bunch of gravel road riding on was a '95 Triumph Trident 750, it was a real hoot! (Also helped that I didn't own it....)
    By the same token a certain magazine publisher that we both know swears by Kawasaki W650's fitted with knobblies.....
    Dirt bikes are certainly a good option for gravel, but they have a few disadvantages. They carry the weight too high, and not enough on the front wheel. A ''classic'' set up bike is good in gravel, low CG, more weight on the front wheel, and more trail helps in the thick stuff too, you don't need a 21'' front wheel, they tend to knife in a bit in the thick stuff. And you don't need knobs - the Dunlop K70's gave me more hook up than tyres supposedly better for the job. Big powerslides are fun, but getting hooked up and the power down is faster.....but then the sides of the road need your attention....
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    sj50
    I manage to crash just as spectacularly on most of the bikes I have tried to ride on gravel. Keep running out of skill.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    rg250f not so good.

Gearbox didn't like gravel
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    The best bike on gravel doesn't need to be light and it doesn't need to have knobblies. It may well be absolute shit on anything more adventurous than actual roads.

You want a reasonably upright seating position, reasonably wide bars, and a not wide front tyre. If you've got these three ingredients right then, as always, just add power until you run out of money. That bike is the best one for gravel.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    CR500 for grin factor
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    and a not wide front tyre.
    It's not the width, it's the profile. A radiused street profile is not good, only 1/3 of the tyre can make contact with the hard pack, the other 2/3 is being held up by stones and rolls all over the place. A squarer section like a K70 or competition trials tyre just goes down to the hard pack and hooks up...they also have good sidewall flex.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    It's not the width, it's the profile. A radiused street profile is not good, only 1/3 of the tyre can make contact with the hard pack, the other 2/3 is being held up by stones and rolls all over the place. A squarer section like a K70 or competition trials tyre just goes down to the hard pack and hooks up...they also have good sidewall flex.
    thank you, i was hoping you'd show up.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

got my eye on a cb175 so if i get that i'll make sure to test it out on the gravel.

the only bike i've been really at home with on the gravel has been my shitbox gl145.

my dr650 was a POS.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pastor View Post
    got my eye on a cb175 so if i get that i'll make sure to test it out on the gravel.

the only bike i've been really at home with on the gravel has been my shitbox gl145.

my dr650 was a POS.
    Find me a Honda CL350 or 450 and I will love you long time.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    07 ktm se950

se950

A mountain bike if you want to go slow or a Ktm se950 this can pull 170 clicks through the rainbow, so much fun, best with worn out tyres.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Makes sense. Would it be correct to say a not-wide rim?

Presumably it's a bit difficult finding square section tyres for a typical 3.5" rim.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Teh thread has given me pause for thought. I ride a DT 230 2t with skinny shinko 705's on it. The tires grip better than they have any right to & the bike is hilarious. I also ride my TDM with T30's on it. Thuds along very respectably with no bad habits and very comfortable.

Which got me to thinking about old school trailies. Somewhere in the middle. I had a DT 400 which would look great in my shed now. Or an XT 500.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha-xt-500-03.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	299913

Oh look, another idea!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha_RD400_flat-track_SIDEBURN.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	299914

Yup, I can see an old trailie in my future.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby
    I ride a DT 230 2t with skinny shinko 705's on it. The tires grip better than they have any right to & the bike is hilarious.
    120 rear?

I run the 120's on the 350 and 650.

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    120 rear?

I run the 120's on the 350 and 650.
    That wide...I run 110's on the DR650.

I like the DR for gravel. It's relatively heavy and stable and has enough torque to pull from real low in the revs. I'm not a fan of revvy, light bikes on gravel.

I often thought an old twin shocker like an XT500 would be a blast. A bit like the street tracker idea. It makes sense, low, long, and stable.

My 2c
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

some buggar bid on the cb i wanted to get, that bastard.

Thread Information