Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal Locator inReach SE

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by pampa View Post
    I'll have to have a look and see what I can't find, having a look here it's the same as what we had a play with, worked sending text messages to/from Milford sound when all the other comms was down and tracked a helicopter flight out no problems.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I've always thought being out of reach was one of the bonuses of motorbiking.
    If you have to have one, don't tell the Wife... the last thing we need is for women to know that we can be got hold of at any time while out riding....
    Do you know the repurcussions of an unreplied txt message for some!!!
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'

Heads up re DeLorme inreach in NZ

Just to let everyone know......

DO NOT purchase one of these OVERSEAS......

You will be stung au$170 OVER and ABOVE the regular activation fee of fifty bucks.

PROTECTIONISM at its finest!!!!
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

good timing

So what ya gonna do/buy?...well...

I've going to visit wright communications today and have a look at the Iridium GO. These are definitely more expensive $1399 but offer voice capability as well. BUT now after catching up with this thread and seeing that new inreach SE unit...I'm now more confused on what I want. I'm like you pamps, I want to basically be able to communicate to the family/friends should I also have an 'issue'..I owe it to them, and myself since breaking my leg, as even if I just have mechanical issue..I don't want them freaking out.

Here's my thoughts/observations

I like that the inreach SE can work with or without the smartphone ie pre-load messages etc. The GO only has a emergency button if not paired with phone. (at least its the important button)
    SE has IP67, GO is IP65 (probably not that big a deal...but being truly waterproof means it can on my boat)
    SE has 100hr battery life, GO is 15hr (but will I actually have it on while riding...hmmm, I thought about saving battery and using it as an emergency device, so batt life probably doesn't matter BUT SE can do 100hrs, so perhaps I would then)
    SE is smaller so will probably fit in my purpose built SPOT pocket on my Klim jacket, GO is jus that little bit bigger
    SE is a whopping $800 cheaper!...so really need to consider is voice calling a requirement...hmmm
    SE has cheaper montly fee's of $22.95 NZD, GO is $33USD. = approx $40NZ

Now that I have typed this up, it seems to me that SE is the unit to get. As mentioned by R650R, perhaps adventure riding is about not talking, a txt for those times that you need help is all that is required.

...I'll still go and see the GO, but I'm pretty sure that I will get the SE now
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post

Just be sure to buy it locally!!!!
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    CB1300
    I would have thought you would have it turned on all the time you were out so that if you failed to present for dinner you could be geolocated?

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatijim View Post
    Just be sure to buy it locally!!!!
    thanks for the advice

just to be clear, you're not the local rep are you?

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S
    Nice analysis, thanks.

I have thought about it (talk) and calling is definitely not a requirement. Moreover when it costs that much more, and eeven less considering the battery duration. I recall a couple of years ago a hunter got badly lost, although he had a GPS to guide himself but it run out of batteries and he was buggered. I don't want another concern or at least as little as possible and battery is one of those things that tend to fail when you actually needed it. Also 15h is close to ride time I had on the Dusty but (13-14hs). In battery sense a plain PLB is got several + cause they last years.

Quote Originally Posted by vegeman View Post
    So what ya gonna do/buy?...well...

I've going to visit wright communications today and have a look at the Iridium GO. These are definitely more expensive $1399 but offer voice capability as well. BUT now after catching up with this thread and seeing that new inreach SE unit...I'm now more confused on what I want. I'm like you pamps, I want to basically be able to communicate to the family/friends should I also have an 'issue'..I owe it to them, and myself since breaking my leg, as even if I just have mechanical issue..I don't want them freaking out.

Here's my thoughts/observations

I like that the inreach SE can work with or without the smartphone ie pre-load messages etc. The GO only has a emergency button if not paired with phone. (at least its the important button)
    SE has IP67, GO is IP65 (probably not that big a deal...but being truly waterproof means it can on my boat)
    SE has 100hr battery life, GO is 15hr (but will I actually have it on while riding...hmmm, I thought about saving battery and using it as an emergency device, so batt life probably doesn't matter BUT SE can do 100hrs, so perhaps I would then)
    SE is smaller so will probably fit in my purpose built SPOT pocket on my Klim jacket, GO is jus that little bit bigger
    SE is a whopping $800 cheaper!...so really need to consider is voice calling a requirement...hmmm
    SE has cheaper montly fee's of $22.95 NZD, GO is $33USD. = approx $40NZ

Now that I have typed this up, it seems to me that SE is the unit to get. As mentioned by R650R, perhaps adventure riding is about not talking, a txt for those times that you need help is all that is required.

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E
    I see that there is now an inreach explorer which has a full gps as well so I've placed and order with the NZ agent. My garmin has a few intermittent probs so having another rugged gps has to be a good thing.
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pampa View Post
    thanks for the advice

just to be clear, you're not the local rep are you?
    I guess I should have been clear about that.....

No.

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    The Plbs I've imported from the states are programmed for the states, and can only be registered in the states, but if you leave it unregistered, it will still transmit, the HEX code will contain the ID for USA, the US Rescue Coordination Centre will be notified, and upon seeing the location (NZ), will immediately forward that info to the NZRCC.

A better, safer option is to get it reprogrammed (yes, it's possible). I've imported two ACR ResQLink PLB's and Wilco Marine Services (http://yellow.co.nz/y/wilco-marine-auckland-central) are the NZ agents and can reprogram the country code inside the PLB firmware from US to NZ for $80-$90. Then that PLB can be successfully registered at beacons.org.nz, providing the NZRCC with your contact details, NOK details etc.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    The Plbs I've imported from the states are programmed for the states, and can only be registered in the states, but if you leave it unregistered, it will still transmit, the HEX code will contain the ID for USA, the US Rescue Coordination Centre will be notified, and upon seeing the location (NZ), will immediately forward that info to the NZRCC.

A better, safer option is to get it reprogrammed (yes, it's possible). I've imported two ACR ResQLink PLB's and Wilco Marine Services (http://yellow.co.nz/y/wilco-marine-auckland-central) are the NZ agents and can reprogram the country code inside the PLB firmware from US to NZ for $80-$90. Then that PLB can be successfully registered at beacons.org.nz, providing the NZRCC with your contact details, NOK details etc.
    I spoke with lady on phone at RCCNZ as confirmation email took awhile when registering mine (they are pretty busy day to day).
    Anyway she said they will respond to any beacon activation immediately registered or not. In the case you mention though that extra few minutes of phone/email ex America could be difference between life and death but is essentially the same as if a foreign vessel or tramper was in distress here.
    Registering it is good as it helps them know what they are looking for if no other comms or witnesses. Mine is registered for use hiking, mountain biking, sea kayak and motorbike.
    You can nominate three numbers to have family and friends fretting over your disappearance or to gather further info but I usually forget to tell them where im going anyway unless serious mission to whopps...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information