Thread: 2014/2015 LAMS options?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    They make a LAMS approved Street Triple? Whaaa
    Yeah, new this year to Aus an NZ - I was oogling one, but they were too pricey and weren't availible yet.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Brief update: Took the Triple and the EX650 for a ride yesterday. Was really impressed with the Triple, despite its price tag it was miles ahead of the EX650 and only $1000 difference between the two. The power was just always there on the Triple, and it kept pulling well above the legal limit. Had really strong road presence. It was windy as hell yesterday and the bike held firmly, at times it even felt as though it has a steering dampener but I don't believe they do.

The EX650 was good but a very, very different bike and not really what I am after. It lacked character, probably due to its less aggressive riding position and lack of low-range torque, and just didn't excite the way the Triple did. Being only $1000 less than the Triple, its build felt miles apart as it rattled a bit here and there and generally just felt a little less solid on the road.

Taking out the MT-07 and Gladius 650 today so hopefully that adds more food for thought. So far the Triple is miles ahead, with the Honda CB500F coming in well above the EX650 in my opinion.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Good to hear you are having fun test riding bikes - if you didn't like the EX650, you probably won't like the GSX650, as both are more sport tourer (which I prefer due to the amount of Kms I rack up)

Bike
    1992 Suzuki Bandit GSF250
    Now I've got some serious thinking to do ... Really enjoyed the MT-07, not gonna lie it was an awesome machine -- it had plenty of everything you'd want. But then I jumped on the Gladius not expecting much and was really impressed by it. Had great power, sounded great, suspension was really tight and nice, breaking was good etc. Really liked it.

I don't think you can beat the MT-07 on price, that's for sure. The Gladius was great, but not really a looker and a little pricier than the MT-07 and CB500F. Pick of the bunch would definitely be the Triumph, but it does come with that heavier price tag. Is it worth the extra investment? Would it hold its value as well (if not better) than the others?

Anyone have any thoughts on the brands/models? Are there better/worse second-hand markets for each?

I'm hoping to take the CB500F out tomorrow for a test ride so that it will be fresher on my mind for a fairer comparison.

Bike
    S1000RR
    You should also think about maintenance costs to help you make a firm decision. For what I know, Japanese bikes (CB500F, Gladius, EX650, MT-07 etc...) have maintenance schedule of every 6,000kms while European equavalent have 10,000kms maintenance schedule. Faired bikes tends to cost more for servicing (fairings).

Common talk is that European bike parts (genuine factory OEM) are twice or even three times what Japanese parts cost.

2nd hand depreciation is yet far too early to judge at this point IMO.

Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki have rear tyre size of 160 whilist MT07 and Triumph Street Triple have respectful 180 full sized rear tyre. Some say 180/55x17 are more expensive but I tend to disregard the con. You get much more wider choice from 180 because they are the most popular size amongst motorcycles.

Decisions, decisions.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    You should also think about maintenance costs to help you make a firm decision. For what I know, Japanese bikes (CB500F, Gladius, EX650, MT-07 etc...) have maintenance schedule of every 6,000kms while European equavalent have 10,000kms maintenance schedule. Faired bikes tends to cost more for servicing (fairings).

Common talk is that European bike parts (genuine factory OEM) are twice or even three times what Japanese parts cost.

2nd hand depreciation is yet far too early to judge at this point IMO.

Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki have rear tyre size of 160 whilist MT07 and Triumph Street Triple have respectful 180 full sized rear tyre. Some say 180/55x17 are more expensive but I tend to disregard the con. You get much more wider choice from 180 because they are the most popular size amongst motorcycles.

Decisions, decisions.
    Good input.

Interesting on the lower maintenance schedules for 'euro' bikes. Is that a function of higher oil capacity? Covering butt syndrome? Or just what they arbitrarily think is OK?

Ask the dealers to show you the manual to see what the service intervals are gonna be like. Factor into account how often they say to check the valves (and how much of a mission that is), how many sparkplugs, etc.

Depreciation - *shrug*
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by frisken View Post
    Now I've got some serious thinking to do ... Really enjoyed the MT-07, not gonna lie it was an awesome machine -- it had plenty of everything you'd want. But then I jumped on the Gladius not expecting much and was really impressed by it. Had great power, sounded great, suspension was really tight and nice, breaking was good etc. Really liked it.

I don't think you can beat the MT-07 on price, that's for sure. The Gladius was great, but not really a looker and a little pricier than the MT-07 and CB500F. Pick of the bunch would definitely be the Triumph, but it does come with that heavier price tag. Is it worth the extra investment? Would it hold its value as well (if not better) than the others?

Anyone have any thoughts on the brands/models? Are there better/worse second-hand markets for each?

I'm hoping to take the CB500F out tomorrow for a test ride so that it will be fresher on my mind for a fairer comparison.
    Also something to consider - is the ease of de-restriction after you get your full.

For example - a Speed Triple Full Fat version is known to be a good all rounder and very popular - but I know the LAMS version is slilghtly different from the Full Fat version - slightly different engine and so de-restricting may be much harder - whereas alot of the Jap bikes are either an ECU change (or wire snip ) or a change of the throttle stop (achieved by swapping a bracket)

and is the de-restriction reversible? For example - you can change the ECU to a full power ECU once you have got your full, then when you get bored of the 600 and want a Thou, swap the old ECU back in - sell it as a LAMS bike (which hold slightly higher value and depreciate less) for more money than you could sell a non LAMS version.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Also something to consider - is the ease of de-restriction after you get your full.

For example - a Speed Triple Full Fat version is known to be a good all rounder and very popular - but I know the LAMS version is slilghtly different from the Full Fat version - slightly different engine and so de-restricting may be much harder - whereas alot of the Jap bikes are either an ECU change (or wire snip ) or a change of the throttle stop (achieved by swapping a bracket)

and is the de-restriction reversible? For example - you can change the ECU to a full power ECU once you have got your full, then when you get bored of the 600 and want a Thou, swap the old ECU back in - sell it as a LAMS bike (which hold slightly higher value and depreciate less) for more money than you could sell a non LAMS version.
    OR just save a lot of hassle and money and get a MT-07

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    OR just save a lot of hassle and money and get a MT-07
    but that isn't LAMS approved is it?

Bike
    but that isn't LAMS approved is it?
    NZ and Oz get a slightly small bore to fit it under 660cc. I don't think they bother with the non-LAMS version here.

We get a 655cc 51hp 57Nm version rather than the rest of the world's 689cc 74hp 68 Nm.

Bike
    And what de-restricting it might mean given that it'll still be registered as a LAMS model. Did you ever get an official answer after this thread?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    And what de-restricting it might mean given that it'll still be registered as a LAMS model. Did you ever get an official answer after this thread?
    Nope, didn't get an official answer - From everything I have read it seems to be one of those legal gray areas - meaning if you were to find yourself in trouble with the law because of a de-restricted LAMS bike (and you were on a full licence) that you could claim what you did was reasonable (the Man on the Clapham omnibus defence)

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    NZ and Oz get a slightly small bore to fit it under 660cc. I don't think they bother with the non-LAMS version here.

We get a 655cc 51hp 57Nm version rather than the rest of the world's 689cc 74hp 68 Nm.
    Ah - Thank you kindly,

Bike
    Nope, didn't get an official answer - From everything I have read it seems to be one of those legal gray areas - meaning if you were to find yourself in trouble with the law because of a de-restricted LAMS bike (and you were on a full licence) that you could claim what you did was reasonable (the Man on the Clapham omnibus defence)
    I can't really imagine it would be a problem on your full as long as your insurance company was aware (called them yet?). But I suspect it'd make more sense in terms of resale value to just sell it LAMS and buy something else, if you want a new bike soon enough anyway.

Thread Information