Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which bike? Beginner off-road, experienced on-road. BMW X Challenge vs Honda CRF250L

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    He was due out with Broxy at Woodhill around midday today... haven't heard from him
    Got given a 250 Honda to ride at Wood hill.

A bit unnerved riding out the car park into the soft bits of sand.

Under GREAT instructions from Broxy, like seating forward and leaning back... and a suitable bike & (NOBBLEY tires which are new to me) I find that I can ride over loose surfaces and still have traction (more gas helps too).

Fell over 1/2 dozen times

Ripped my Goretex pants at the Knee...!!!

Gave me a good taste of what it is like riding in Sand... (literally... sand in teeth)

Today I am damm sore from the workout...

I hope riding on other surfaces are easier... and now to get a suitable bike myself to do more practice.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    Got given a 250 Honda to ride at Wood hill.

A bit unnerved riding out the car park into the soft bits of sand.

Under GREAT instructions from Broxy, like seating forward and leaning back... and a suitable bike & (NOBBLEY tires which are new to me) I find that I can ride over loose surfaces and still have traction (more gas helps too).

Fell over 1/2 dozen times

Ripped my Goretex pants at the Knee...!!!

Gave me a good taste of what it is like riding in Sand... (literally... sand in teeth)

Today I am damm sore from the workout...

I hope riding on other surfaces are easier... and now to get a suitable bike myself to do more practice.
    Felix,
    Way back in this thread, Alan indicated that some gentle to moderate gravel is the probable first step that you are aiming for and may in fact be as far as it goes long term. If this is true, then just about anything with knobs on will do. The last time time I did The Long Way Round (Taupo), one guy (a very experienced one I admit) did it on a Scorpio with knobs, including all the challenge sections. Sure, a bit of extra suspension travel helps but really doesn't make that much difference until you get into the rougher stuff.
    So why knock yourself around (if the foregoing is true that is)?

Sure the 250 is easier to handle but in the going we are discussing, not by a huge margin. It's real advantage is in the knarly stuff. On top of that, it will have a lower cruise speed, limited fuel range and limited luggage carrying capacity compared to any of the 600 and up machines. This will make overnighters, not impossible but certainly more spartan.

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years back and say just go get a DR, a KLR or the Beemer 650 you mentioned and just do it. I did and 5 months later did 18,000 km around outback Australia.
    I'm a no talent old fart so it can't be that hard. I'm also 1.78 meters tall too.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    a red heap
    get an sv650

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post

Yes they are easier. As I said the KDX thats on here is a good learning point but not road legal. But buy it for 2 k and sell it in a year or 2 for 2k. Fall off it, swear at it and have one hell of a laugh.

Thundercross is a great learning place.

Thread Information