Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northland roads - best riding in the North Island, maybe all NZ?

Bike
    Indian Scout

Northland roads - best riding in the North Island, maybe all NZ?

I thought the South Island had the best riding roads ever, but I have to reconsider. With a few lads we rode from Welly to Cape Reinga over the Labour Weekend.

Paraparas north from Wanganui are always a highlight. North from Taumaranui the same. Hammy to Dorkland the pits! Nuf said.

We had a buddy with a beach house at Ngunguru so that was our base and saved on accommodation costs. Yeah I had no bloody idea where Ngunguru was either. Above Whangarei and way out to the east.

So Saturday we did the exploring up to Russell, ferry to Pahia and late in the afternoon the stupid random decision was made to take one of our group to the Cape because he had never been there. Great plan, silly timing.

From breathtakingly beautiful bay to bay, sweepers galore, tight twisties that never end and good quality seal, it just goes on, and on, and on until you are exhausted from over dosing on cornering highs.
    Must email a picture of a straight road to the local Mayors with the caption- build one of these bastards so we can catch our breath!

But seriously the road conditions for riding are mind blowingly good. It was 7.15pm as the sun was setting at Cape Reinga when we realised we were facing 4 hours of cornering in darkness on unknown roads to get home. We had left in light riding gear, expecting Saturday to be a gentle local ride only. It might be called the winterless north but I can tell you this labour weekend it was sunny but a cold wind blew. Once the sun dropped temps plummeted. When we got to the beach house I ran in, poured a Drambuie into a wine glass and took it with me into a hot shower to get my blood flowing from the inside and outside. Worked a treat.

Monday return trip was a bugger though. Holiday traffic, ten thousand cops on the roads, ever man and his dog who owned a boat or caravan took them out on the roads just to piss us off. And the rain. Lots of rain. Close on 11 hours of riding to get home soaking wet and miserable. Worth it for the three earlier days of motorcycling bliss under sunny skies.

Oh yeah and what's with making us pay $2.20 to ride a 5 minute section of boring motorway? Weirdos up north.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Oh yeah and what's with making us pay $2.20 to ride a 5 minute section of boring motorway? Weirdos up north.
    you were on the wrong road... that's aucklander tax.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    There are fantastic roads everywhere, include the norf. Also a lot of roads that were fantastic, but are now breaking down due to lack of maintanance. Next decent road bike, and I will spend a week up there just meandering around.

Glad you had a great time, and the 11 hours of wet and cold riding was just part of the total experience.

Miserable riding weather seems to knit a riding group together. Everyone giving the others shit about their discomfort etc.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Yeah . They are certainly up there with the best anyway. I live in the North but actually don't get to ride them that often because most of my trips go south, but that Russell ride is great, and of course the big loop back down through the Kauri Forest and Kai Iwi lakes.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Hammy to Dorkland the pits! Nuf said.
    Look for Highway 22 mate next time...nobody round here uses SH1 unless in emergencies.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    We wuz out on the Tutukaka coast recently doing a riding course. Another surreal bit of tarmac, from Ngunguru out to Hikurangi. Doubly surreal training on it.

I always come home buzzing from the riding we have up here. Tar & gravel.

I know what you mean about getting tired by corners OP. A recent ride down the twin bridges road & back via the Old Russell road had me mentally knackered. Summit like 600 corners from the SH1 turn off to the ferry.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    When I lived up there I used to like the route through Waimate Norf. Waimate Norf Road I think...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Look for Highway 22 mate next time...nobody round here uses SH1 unless in emergencies.
    Agreed. I had parents in Hamilton to visit so SH1 was it and time was pressing. Got a bit lost leaving and returning into northern Hamilton. Folks were near St Andrews golf course but the roads and expressways confused me. It all seemed new and unfamiliar to me now? Or maybe I'm just easily lost as I get older.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    ES XTZ

Monday return trip was a bugger though. Holiday traffic, ten thousand cops on the roads, ever man and his dog who owned a boat or caravan took them out on the roads just to piss us off.
    This is why the South Island takes it...

Bike
    Mine
    Exactly. And follow that up with a side trip to Hunua and up to Clevedon and Whitford.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Exactly. And follow that up with a side trip to Hunua and up to Clevedon and Whitford.
    That's on my to do list for this summer.

Bike
    Mine
    That's on my to do list for this summer.
    If I get fed up with lane-splitting I'll sometimes peel off the motorway at Manurewa and head this way. Not a bad route for a daily commute and only adds 20km to what is already a 60km trip.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Weirdos up north.
    Yep.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Yep.
    Oy! The OP was referring to the residents of NZ's largest conurbation.
    Proper oop north folk are merely strange. And like banjo music.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Proper oop north folk are merely strange. And like banjo music.
    well, thank fuck im just south of proper up north...

Thread Information