Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to put rego on hold for less than 3 months?

Bike
    Gilera 180 , ,GB400/650 ,SV650
    what to remember is that if you put rego on hold for only 3 months and go back say 4 months later
    you will have to pay the month that the "On Hold " period ended I always do 6 months and after 3 months I can start the rego any time I want and only pay from that date

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE180 View Post
    what to remember is that if you put rego on hold for only 3 months and go back say 4 months later
    you will have to pay the month that the "On Hold " period ended I always do 6 months and after 3 months I can start the rego any time I want and only pay from that date
    This is correct. Getting a month free on the other page is not. They would have put it on hold for longer.

It is only within the first 3 months that the problem of back paying occurs, so to be safe I always select 12 months. I do it as soon as I buy licencing (usually online) just in case I stop using the vehicle and forget to sort it out, but usually when I next buy licensing I do the same thing and it never actaully goes on hold, because that only happens once it expires

The 3 month back pay thing is a bit of a money grab that some clever bean counting fawker had the idea for. Not many people will have their vehicle off the road for longer than that.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    This is correct. Getting a month free on the other page is not..
    don't know about a month but i have had a couple of weeks on more than one occasion, you don't need to wait till the last day of the hold period but i always get them to check before i buy so to speak.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    don't know about a month but i have had a couple of weeks on more than one occasion, you don't need to wait till the last day of the hold period but i always get them to check before i buy so to speak.
    Khants! I've done it heaps and not even once.

Bike
    CB1300

How to put rego on hold for less than 3 months?

One time I paid to take the DR off hold because the Hayabusa was in dire need o tyres.

It six days was past three months since I put it on hold so figured no drama.
    Nope. I had put it on hold seven days after the label expired. So when I got to the last screen I notice I had just paid $130 for 1 day of registration. That day. Which only had 4 hours or so left.
    Fuckers. I rang up to see what was going. No they couldn't roll it back and let me pay again tommorow.

Apparently I already had some days carried over from other hold periods.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    For years I have been taking advantage of the fact that you can register a vehicle with rego on hold from 1 month before the hold finishes, without paying back dated fees. I often have multiple vehicles and am happy to alternate there use.

Good point is the hold starts from the day you put it on hold, not the rego expiration date, from said expiration date you get 1 month and then a warning notice, 1 month after the warning notice and your fucked, you then owe rego fees backdated to the original rego expiration and can't put it on hold without paying these first.

I never allow it to go beyond 1 month.

The MR27 form only allows you to specify an expiration date (up to 15 months), the rego still has to conform to being current or on hold with any fees outstanding paid at time of application.

I also do it all online, no hassle then.

Thread Information