Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What say you - review of motorcycle licences

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Back to topic another thread as reminded me of something.
    The problem right at the start is we make a big fuss about getting a license after passing the test its treated like some crowning #$%^@* achievement in life, almost as good and 'skillful' as winning the lotto.
    We should change it to a 'check' that you can operate to the required standard and are a suitable person to be in charge of one eg no criminal history or nutbars (why do we allow crims to have access to a tool to help shift drugs/stolen goods?) At any moment you could have your approval to operate a vehicle revoked indefinitely if your driving in a manner not of the required standard.
    It would work a along the lines of the 85th percentile, anyone not driving like the others gets pulled, no need for fancy technology or signposts everywhere, just take it back to community level respect for locals and road conditions.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Ever seen a car do a stoppie?

If ABS wants to allow me to turn it better bloody well kick in before it detects slippage
    Seen a few vans / trucks do them.
    Higher an more forward COM.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    eg no criminal history
    You don't want anyone to be able to turn their life around, do you?

At any moment you could have your approval to operate a vehicle revoked indefinitely if your driving in a manner not of the required standard.
    The problem with with is that the standard will change from year to year. As with anything, society evolves (or devolves, depending on your point of view).

It would work a along the lines of the 85th percentile, anyone not driving like the others gets pulled
    So, if I'm the only lemming that isn't jumping I'm the one that's targeted. Simply because an action is performed by the majority does not mean it's the sensible course of action. Rubber-necking is a perfect example.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Ever seen a car do a stoppie?
    I was in a van that did one a few months ago, it was a beautiful thing

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    What...like this?
    http://youtu.be/FD1PXzA7DEI
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    You don't want anyone to be able to turn their life around, do you?

The problem with with is that the standard will change from year to year. As with anything, society evolves (or devolves, depending on your point of view).

So, if I'm the only lemming that isn't jumping I'm the one that's targeted. Simply because an action is performed by the majority does not mean it's the sensible course of action. Rubber-necking is a perfect example.
    I don't know about turning lives around, rehabs not a speciality of mine. But repeat offenders seem to doa fine job of turning other people lives upside down by using cars to flee burglaries with peoples belongings or in the latest case here in the bay, a hit and run on cop at checkpoint....

The 'standard' would work much the way police do now, they already pick out the anxious driver wizzing in and out of lanes, accelerating rapidly etc.... All that would change is less paperwork, no roadside pedantic arguments over how many km/h or how long the skid mark was. Just hey mate your driving's shit! "Yeah Iknow I'm sorry, write me out the ticket"...

Don't start me on rubber necking! You are actually required by law to do that. When passing an accident scene you MUST by law slow to 20km/h if the police accident signs out, of course this creates a tailback. And if your already been held up and only doing 20 you may as well look out the window as you pass.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Mine
    I don't know about turning lives around, rehabs not a speciality of mine. But repeat offenders seem to doa fine job of turning other people lives upside down by using cars to flee burglaries with peoples belongings or in the latest case here in the bay, a hit and run on cop at checkpoint....
    So what you're saying is you want more of this? Accepting that people can and do change is one requirement of a compassionate society and reduces the overall number of offenders.

The 'standard' would work much the way police do now, they already pick out the anxious driver wizzing in and out of lanes, accelerating rapidly etc.... All that would change is less paperwork, no roadside pedantic arguments over how many km/h or how long the skid mark was. Just hey mate your driving's shit! "Yeah Iknow I'm sorry, write me out the ticket"...
    Some driving is so bad as to be judged accurately from a 5 second observation. Then there's that in the middle that may look bad at a casual observation but is in actual fact perfectly fine. The one thing that can't be judged from outside is the state of mind of the driver/rider. It's usually the good little boys and girls "toeing the line" that are the most dangerous as they are generally the most distracted.

Don't start me on rubber necking! You are actually required by law to do that. When passing an accident scene you MUST by law slow to 20km/h if the police accident signs out,
    Surely not if the accident is on the far side of a divided motorway?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    So what you're saying is you want more of this? Accepting that people can and do change is one requirement of a compassionate society and reduces the overall number of offenders.
    So does a bullet which is a permanent solution.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So does a bullet which is a permanent solution.
    True in the individual case but it's likely to lead to more crime in the long run.

Thread Information