Page 111 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1867

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    The suburban streets around me are now 30kph. It's being roundly ignored (except by me, of course ).

If they wanted to they could ticket every driver...
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    The suburban streets around me are now 30kph. It's being roundly ignored (except by me, of course ).

If they wanted to they could ticket every driver...
    Similar up here in the 90K "safer speed zone" (they call it) to the Coromandel. Most doing 100k and the few that stick to the speed limit have long ques of cars behind.
    Doubles yellows the whole way. Cops have a field day out there basically a give a ticket to whom you choose area.

These new speed limits are going to be ignored by most as they are now below what even a strictly law abiding citizen considers reasonable as its got to the stupid zone.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    It was on the good
    Wait until NZTA take over the 'safety' cameras as they coerce all the local authorities to drop their speed limits, then you will see some ticket generation.

I think I managed to get away with my recent five day car hire in Auckland. Down the motorway to Raglan and Hamilton, up it to Orewa. Half the time I had no idea whether the speed limit was 80, 100 or 110km/h and obviously had no idea where the speed cameras would be. Been waiting on the postman ever since but nothing yet.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Wait until NZTA take over the 'safety' cameras as they coerce all the local authorities to drop their speed limits, then you will see some ticket generation.

I think I managed to get away with my recent five day car hire in Auckland. Down the motorway to Raglan and Hamilton, up it to Orewa. Half the time I had no idea whether the speed limit was 80, 100 or 110km/h and obviously had no idea where the speed cameras would be. Been waiting on the postman ever since but nothing yet.
    I often have no idea what the limit is on half of the rural roads around Auckland. Often, there is no sign when you join an 80 km/h road from another road, and the roads don't always have signs at regular distances apart.

You don't usually see the police unless it's a busy road with plenty of potential customers, and there aren't that many fixed cameras outside of urban areas yet.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I often have no idea what the limit is on half of the rural roads around Auckland. Often, there is no sign when you join an 80 km/h road from another road, and the roads don't always have signs at regular distances apart.
    If you do get a ticket for exceeding a speed limit that is not 100km/h and you think that then it is certainly worth going back and checking where the last sign was. There used to be a legal requirement for repeater signs based on about two minutes of travel if it was not your standard 100. While that requirement appears to have dropped out of the latest Rule I suspect that was an oversight. You need fair warning of what the speed limit is because of the penalties for exceeding it. With all the 80's going in it is even more of an issue.

They dropped the 100km/h speed limit on all Invercargill rural roads the other week to 80. Where one road used to go from 80 to 100 all they did was remove the 100 sign. Hardly fair to me, they should have at least put an 80 sign in its place. Get stopped at 130 now and I will lose my licence instead of just paying the enjoyment tax.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    The trick is to not get caught, wait - I mean the trick is not to break the law! (I don't know what I was thinking then).
    Mind you - if a tree breaks the law in a forest and there are no five-oh there to catch it, did it really break the law?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    If you do get a ticket for exceeding a speed limit that is not 100km/h and you think that then it is certainly worth going back and checking where the last sign was. There used to be a legal requirement for repeater signs based on about two minutes of travel if it was not your standard 100. While that requirement appears to have dropped out of the latest Rule I suspect that was an oversight. You need fair warning of what the speed limit is because of the penalties for exceeding it. With all the 80's going in it is even more of an issue.

They dropped the 100km/h speed limit on all Invercargill rural roads the other week to 80. Where one road used to go from 80 to 100 all they did was remove the 100 sign. Hardly fair to me, they should have at least put an 80 sign in its place. Get stopped at 130 now and I will lose my licence instead of just paying the enjoyment tax.
    I understood it still applied. Someone must have made a lot of money supplying the 110 signs for the Waikato Expressway!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    If you are wondering what a speed limit for a particular road is, check here.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/safety/part...imit-register/

It's the online, publicly available, National Speed Limit Register.

Just out of interest, I send that you should check signage if you get a ticket. Likely you will find that you didn't see it as you went past. I failed a bloke on a licence test a few years ago for continuing at 60 when we entered a 50 kmh zone. He swore (literally) that there was no sign, until we went back and I showed him.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    If you are wondering what a speed limit for a particular road is, check here.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/safety/part...imit-register/

It's the online, publicly available, National Speed Limit Register.

Just out of interest, I send that you should check signage if you get a ticket. Likely you will find that you didn't see it as you went past. I failed a bloke on a licence test a few years ago for continuing at 60 when we entered a 50 kmh zone. He swore (literally) that there was no sign, until we went back and I showed him.
    that's all good but the limits are changing now so often how do we lock that into our brains? I went around the wellington coat the other day it must have changed about 15 times, hard to keep up with that in reality.
    not everyone has a car that reads the limits. Going down willis street in welly the signs are way too high, we need to keep an eye at pedestrian level there's where the danger is, not half way up a lampost

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    that's all good but the limits are changing now so often how do we lock that into our brains? I went around the wellington coat the other day it must have changed about 15 times, hard to keep up with that in reality.
    not everyone has a car that reads the limits. Going down willis street in welly the signs are way too high, we need to keep an eye at pedestrian level there's where the danger is, not half way up a lampost
    Just a historic reflection.

Once upon a time, speed limits were 50 kmh or 100 kmh, pretty much. Some 50s were ridiculous, as were some 100s. People were always banging on about how unfair it was to get a ticket in Forrest Hill Road for ex-50.

So now that speed limits are being changed to reflect risk and the driving environment, the bitch is that speed limits change too much.

We just aren't happy unless we are miserable.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    They've gone nuts in the Auckland region. I can show you 4-5 signs one after another changing the limit in the CBD, all within a few hundred metres.
    In the country there are multiple examples where the limit is technically one thing one way, and another the other way (and I've checked this, because I use some of the roads as part of the IAM Advanced Test in my role as Examiner).

As you wind your way through back roads you actually legitimately struggle to remember which was the last speed sign, you can take a few turns and not see a single one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    They've gone nuts in the Auckland region. I can show you 4-5 signs one after another changing the limit in the CBD, all within a few hundred metres.
    In the country there are multiple examples where the limit is technically one thing one way, and another the other way (and I've checked this, because I use some of the roads as part of the IAM Advanced Test in my role as Examiner).

As you wind your way through back roads you actually legitimately struggle to remember which was the last speed sign, you can take a few turns and not see a single one...
    Another reason why I almost never go into the CBD. Try doing 40 on Nelson Street...

Then there are the places in rural Auckland where an 80 sign has been put up 50 m before a tight corner with a 35 advisory. As my wife pointed out recently, the 80 limits are stupid because you can't safely drive at 80.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I do find myself wondering why such a fundamental change to something most people do on a daily basis in Auckland hasn't been accompanied by a saturation advertising campaign to make sure everyone is aware of it and looking out for the new limits. You know, if it's so important for our safety.

I've only ever seen one, possibly two news articles that even mention it.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Another reason why I almost never go into the CBD. Try doing 40 on Nelson Street...
    Oh Auckland Transport has done their job perfectly (to the detriment of Heart of the City). I only go there under sufferance to visit clients... when I really really have to. When I changed jobs years ago, I deliberately avoided anything in the CBD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Oh Auckland Transport has done their job perfectly (to the detriment of Heart of the City). I only go there under sufferance to visit clients... when I really really have to. When I changed jobs years ago, I deliberately avoided anything in the CBD.
    Downtown Rangiora is about to get a 30 kmh main street. It's 50 at the moment, but engineered for 30, so everyone goes 30.

Thread Information