Page 55 of 125 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Police getting tougher on speed tolerance

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    The reason they can't pull over and let people pass or at least slow down and indicate that others can pass? is that they are totally oblivious to the situation, which begs the question
    Do they use their mirrors and how much do they take in.
    I remember they used to sell the anti frustration devises that made noise effects, so one could launch missile and machine gun attacks on the frustrating drivers, maybe the police should hand out some of those at the traffic stops it would likely be great PR and wouldn't cost bugger all.
    I think it more likely comes down the what MrBarnett described as the 'human condition' {carnage is going to happen}.. Like many I commute the
    hutt valley motorway. The only real difference for me is I work erratic start/finish times on a daily basis, and get to 'see' most of the driving habits of different 'time zones' on the road.
    I frequently end up underpassing [overtake on the left} single cars or vans who are just sitting in the right lane at XXXkph. I have a bright halogen headlight {as we all do} and a couple of fairly powerful CREE led spot/fog lamps.. these 'including going to main beam' do absolutely nothing to 'wake up' said driver to pull left. I mostly shake my head as I pass them, they frequently react with a 'hand signal' or the I'm not looking so he doesnt exist stare to the front. They know I'm there, they just dont see 'WHY' they should move left, after all they are in the 'fast lane' and there's no one in front of them. {correct, we are all stuck befrigginhind them}.

Whether it's an educational issue, or simply a bloody 'IQ level' thing, some people just either simply have a massive sense of entitlement, or, are truly so dense that even common sense is a concept they cannot grasp.
    My job in the respect of seeing how dumb people can be, is probably similar to out resident 'Popo',
    Here's a classic example,
    On one of the lines we have several short tunnels, speed through these is 40kph, because the line has very tight curves and minimal [centimeters} clearance either side of the train.... only a few weeks ago, one twat, ran out of the tunnel entrance {caught on the forward camera} with literally half a second to spare. I will leave to your imaginations what a very large object traveling at 40kph will do to you when you are sandwiched between it and a solid brick wall. As the entrance is on a curve visibility is reduced, and obviously you have the 'light into dark effect' on the human eye. Anyone who uses the johnsonville line will know, there is no room for anything either side on most of it, as it's cut into the side of the hills. But? yup, we'll use it as a pedestrian 'short cut'.

So as much as I also can get frustrated at the way things are done by TPB, I can also understand why, because seriously folks, there really are people out there who to quote 'full metal jacket' were "cheated, as the best bit of them ran down the crack of their mothers ass, and ended up as a stain on the sheet"
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    A most excellent scheme.

On a similar note; what ever happened to those things that plugged into your stereo and made noises like your corolla was a Maserati / Lotus / Ferrari / Mustang?
    these are the ones I remember
    http://x-entertainment.com/updates/2.../the-revenger/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Working...efaultDomain_0
    Why don't they sell something like them anymore? they were popular at the time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revenger.gif 
Views:	26 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	307125

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post

Whether it's an educational issue, or simply a bloody 'IQ level' thing, some people just either simply have a massive sense of entitlement, or, are truly so dense that even common sense is a concept they cannot grasp.
    My job in the respect of seeing how dumb people can be, is probably similar to out resident 'Popo',
    Some people are bloody inconsiderate and I believe bloody oblivious and or both, then again I guess thay could be distracted by whining and or fighting kids too. Some are just stupid and lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    But any way as I get closer to Wairoa I encounter several unusual streams of traffic that doesn't fit the pattern for this road even in holiday times. I reckoned they were caused by the fatigue stop and once on lemming decided it was time to leave everyone else left at same time.
    Thoughts....
    My thoughts?

You're just taking a wild guess and using an incident that (somehow) annoyed you to blame for something that in all likelihood has no link with said earlier incident.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    My thoughts?

You're just taking a wild guess and using an incident that (somehow) annoyed you to blame for something that in all likelihood has no link with said earlier incident.

One could say the same thing about speed limits.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    What a load of crap. You have a Rose tinted visor on your helmet?
    I can only talk from my own experience but the number of "bad" drivers I see is far, far outweighed by those that are not worthy of comment because they drive in a sensible manner that doesn't show up on my radar. Yes, there are bad apples out there but they are in the minority.

I used to see a lot more bad drivers than I do now. Then I realised that this was because I was looking for them and completely ignoring the good ones. One's perception of one's environment is largely governed by one's pre-conceptions. Expect bad drivers and that's what you'll see. Expect good drivers and that's what you'll see. Even the "near" misses that I have had aren't nearly as bad as I used to make out.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    The level of hysteria with the associated posts tends to swing them more to hard evidence than 'anecdotal'....
    You do realise that hysteria and hard evidence are polar opposites? It goes more to the state of mind of the hysterical than to the validity of the 'evidence'. All of which is anecdotal.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    One could say the same thing about speed limits.

The difference being: People exceeding the speed limits don't annoy me...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    these are the ones I remember
    http://x-entertainment.com/updates/2.../the-revenger/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Working...efaultDomain_0
    Why don't they sell something like them anymore? they were popular at the time.

Name:	revenger.gif 
Views:	26 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	307125.
    I had more in mind a complete set of visibly obvious ordnance, chain gun on the bonnet, mortar pods on the roof etc, all articulated for aiming and with appropriate soundtracks.

Would make the morning commute far more interesting.

I know just the special effects man for the job...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post

I used to see a lot more bad drivers than I do now. Then I realised that this was because I was looking for them and completely ignoring the good ones. One's perception of one's environment is largely governed by one's pre-conceptions. Expect bad drivers and that's what you'll see. Expect good drivers and that's what you'll see. Even the "near" misses that I have had aren't nearly as bad as I used to make out.
    That kinda hippy PC bullshit positive thought shit is what brought us great wonders like then 'drive social' ads, you don't work for the LTSA do you.....

No 'Serenity now' program is going to make other drivers better around you....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    My thoughts?

Possibly but enough circumstantial evidence exists to table it before the kiwibiker judiciary to be debated in the jurors chambers

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I remember they used to sell the anti frustration devises that made noise effects, so one could launch missile and machine gun attacks on the frustrating drivers, maybe the police should hand out some of those at the traffic stops it would likely be great PR and wouldn't cost bugger all.
    Nothing to stop doing it in your head and making your own sound effects in the privacy of a fullface helmet.
    Just remember when your wearing earplugs you may be making more noise than you think at the traffic lights.
    Random motorists may be freaked out listening to you say " CHiiirrrrrrr brippppp TARGET acquired... beep beep beep LOCK obtained, launching missle MWahahaha... fuck.... whoops hello... *wave*"

Name:	a.baa-fail-motorcycle-helmet.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	307159

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I for one don't believe we are any worse than other countries I've been in. And that's a few.

At times I can drive quite a while without seeing something that pisses me off.

If you drive around looking for it you'll find it. So stop looking. Less stress that way.

Unless you work with/for me. Then nail the feckers.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I for one don't believe we are any worse than other countries I've been in. And that's a few.

At times I can drive quite a while without seeing something that pisses me off.

If you drive around looking for it you'll find it. So stop looking. Less stress that way.

Unless you work with/for me. Then nail the feckers.
    Oh I don't think that's a fair assessment. The average kiwi driver is far more combative (call it arrogant if you will) than the average western European driver. And then when we start talking about fast lane behaviour, allowing others to merge or go in front to keep traffic flowing...oh boy, kiwi drivers are a long way behind. The main difference is the standard required to attain a drivers licence. And this is an assessment made by virtue of driving for a living on three continents.

But not stressing about what others do wrong is the key I'll fully agree with that, regardless of which country one is in.

Bike
    Mine
    That kinda hippy PC bullshit positive thought shit is what brought us great wonders like then 'drive social' ads,
    I actually think that those ads are the best they've come up with yet. I agree with the sentiment (I know from personal experience it works - try being overtly courteous and see how much better you feel) but I don't think the ads will work as those that need it won't listen.

you don't work for the LTSA do you.....
    Not in a million years.

No 'Serenity now' program is going to make other drivers better around you....
    No, it won't. But it will help you see that they're not as bad as you thought they were.

I used to rant on endlessly to my wife about all the dick-heads I would see every day. Then I realised that she (also on a bike) didn't see nearly the same number of "bad" drivers that I did. Then I realised it was simply because she doesn't sweat the small stuff. Since then my riding (even in Auckland) has been increasingly more enjoyable.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Oh I don't think that's a fair assessment. The average kiwi driver is far more combative (call it arrogant if you will) than the average western European driver. And then when we start talking about fast lane behaviour, allowing others to merge or go in front to keep traffic flowing...oh boy, kiwi drivers are a long way behind. The main difference is the standard required to attain a drivers licence. And this is an assessment made by virtue of driving for a living on three continents.

But not stressing about what others do wrong is the key I'll fully agree with that, regardless of which country one is in.
    It's the basic driving things that piss me off most. Like turning into the correct lane at multi lane junctions. More people do it wrong than right. And following too closely. And not indicating turns.

Then if we write tickets for it, we get slated as road nazi snake bastards.

Thread Information