Thread: Shipping bike to USA?

Bike
    2014 Suzuki GW250 "Inazuma"

Shipping bike to USA?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone around here has ever had experience shipping a bike over to the USA?

Any reputable companies you would recommend?
    How much can I expect this to break the bank?
    Is it worth just selling my bike here and getting a new one over there? Particularly given the higher speed limit, I wouldn't want to be constantly thrashing my precious.

I just found out that I'm scheduled for my immigration proceedings to be finishing up late January, so I'm planning to move in about 4 months or less - much sooner than anticipated!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If you're moving there long term, going by your bike description, just get one there. Getting it road legal in USA can be a minefield, especially California with a lot of additional regs.

Most of us ship bikes over on carnet, so shipping is both ways (and they don't get registered - can be there for 90 days). When I shipped mine as part of a group in 2011, it was $3000 return for the bike. Mainfreight (and the USA arm Kiwi Shipping) are good people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 Suzuki GW250 "Inazuma"
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking it would probably be easier to just sell up here and buy a new bike there - but I REALLY didn't want to have to give up my beautiful red baby.

On the other hand, with none of the graduated licensing over there, there really not many sellers of 250cc bikes - hard to find anything less than 650cc. I'm just not sure I'm ready to go for a bigger bike yet.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjacookie View Post
    On the other hand, with none of the graduated licensing over there, there really not many sellers of 250cc bikes - hard to find anything less than 650cc. I'm just not sure I'm ready to go for a bigger bike yet.
    Quick google turned up these:

http://powersports.honda.com/2015/cb300f.aspx

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-300-ABS

Guess it might depend on the local bike shops whether they stock them. Might be a fair bit cheaper than here too.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    GL1800
    Mine arrives FROM the U.S. next week, $1250 plus gst one way, Trans Am Freight (Tauranga)

I'd flick yours here, save a bunch of hassle, you'll buy better value over there anyway, save the freight and no worries
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    Mine arrives FROM the U.S. next week, $1250 plus gst one way, Trans Am Freight (Tauranga)

I'd flick yours here, save a bunch of hassle, you'll buy better value over there anyway, save the freight and no worries
    x 15.
    The loss selling it here worst case will be even with what you'll lose to replace over there plus the shipping, plus the potential shipping back again.
    I mean at a guess to get it there and on the road I wouldn't be shocked to find out you'd be paying 2k++ easy...

That's not a bad shipping price though shafty. Does that include all the customs jazz? Getting it complied etc is on top of that as well yeah?

Bike
    GL1800
    inthought it was pretty good, I'll confirm in a week or so when I pick up the bike but made it clear I wanted an all inclusive price

Complying and gst etc is on top, yes

I contacted the NZ Goldwing club who pointed me towards TransAm, and their landing in Tauranga suits me

I've heard some horror stories on other companies, so fingers crossed
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Thread Information