Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stuff article about road safety

Bike
    Yo momma
    A lot of you cunts in NZ go on like you are the best drivers in the world. I have lived in several different countries and in my experience NZ drivers are far from the best. There is a lot of 'I own the road so get the hell out of my way' and 'everyone else on the road is an idiot'. Common courtesy is sorely lacking as is common sense. Every time I come back to NZ the general standard of driving looks to be worse.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Every time I come back to NZ the general standard of driving looks to be worse.
    Looks like you just scored an own goal.

If your return makes the general standard of driving worse maybe you should stay away in the interests of road safety.

Bike
    Mine
    Common courtesy is sorely lacking...
    To my mind this is our ONLY problem we have on the road. Engender a culture of courtesy and all other perceived problems will disappear.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjm View Post
    The police have said it is too early to tell if the policy has been effective.
    I believe that's what they're still saying about the French Revolution and the Great Leap Forward...

Bike
    A lot of you cunts in NZ go on like you are the best drivers in the world. I have lived in several different countries and in my experience NZ drivers are far from the best. There is a lot of 'I own the road so get the hell out of my way' and 'everyone else on the road is an idiot'. Common courtesy is sorely lacking as is common sense. Every time I come back to NZ the general standard of driving looks to be worse.
    We are. You are blessed that we let you 'other side' 'imperialistic' types be amongst our god like presence, yankee scum

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    You must have been reading different stuff to me. The impression I get is that while we on KB are paragons of road craft virtue, the car drivers are idiots or psychiatric patients.

At least in NZ we can discuss a minor shunt in a forthright manner without it turning into a gunfight. On the other hand that could be a powerful incentive to drive and otherwise conduct yourself in a coureous manner?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1911 Royal Enfield
    I lived in Oregon for 3 years. All the drivers there were on the wrong side of the road so you have no right to criticize the drivers of the United States of New Zealand

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Personally, I'm a fan of the theory of relativity. It's all relative.

If one rides or even drive in e.g. Ethiopia, the Congo (doesn't matter whether it's the Democratic or the Undemocratic one), any of the Trashcanistans, South American mountain highways, Chinese rural lowways; and also on New York City streets, or trying to stay alive on the freeways with Angelenos during rush hours after dark and before first light... practically makes one want to kiss the ground when landing in Mangere to pick up the bike to ride south in the company again of NZ drivers. Even those who normally stay north of the Bombay Hills...

That said, there is a more consistent degree of courtesy better than what we see at home, displayed by most road users especially outside the cities in places like the Carolinas, Texas, Kansas, the Dakotas and Montana etc that is really nice to be in the midst of.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunge Bucket View Post
    I lived in Oregon for 3 years. All the drivers there were on the wrong side of the road so you have no right to criticize the drivers of the United States of New Zealand
    On this year's road trip with The Bride we drove through Oregon for two days. Great place and people would love to go back on two wheels and spend more time there.

Anyway, we don't have a United States of New Zealand - just a fractious bunch of enclaves with screwed up local and regional troughing politicians pandering to an increasing number of unproductive people with overdeveloped senses of entitlement being paid for by a shrinking minority of taxpayers.

Oops sorry, I should move over to the rant thread...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    On this year's road trip with The Bride we drove through Oregon for two days. Great place and people would love to go back on two wheels and spend more time there.

Feel free to drop Jason's B&B (beer and bed that is) a line if you return.

Bike
    Good to be fair and consistent eh

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11575205

Bet they had a better command of their vehicle than some egg that can't even work out if his speedo is in kph or mph.

An Auckland man's licence and car was confiscated after he was caught speeding on the Waikato Expressway.

An unnamed Waikato road policing officer posted about the bust on the district's Facebook page just after midnight yesterday, lamenting the driver's actions after he was caught driving at 143km/h - 43km/h over the speed limit.

"Yes, this is way, way too fast and yes, it is a long walk back to Auckland! Welcome to the Waikato? Please don't come again if you are going to endanger everyone in your car and other road users!!"

Because of his speed the man has an immediate 28-day loss of licence as well as having his vehicle impounded.

It was the second high-speed bust by the district's policing team this weekend after a man was caught driving 132km/h in an 80km/h zone along Hamilton's Wairere Drive with three passengers in the car late on Friday night.

After losing his licence and car, the man's first port of call was his mother to come and pick them all up.

Bike
    Street tracker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Good to be fair and consistent eh

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11575205

Bet they had a better command of their vehicle than some egg that can't even work out if his speedo is in kph or mph.
    That's less than 90mph, on a likely empty two lane carriageway with clear visibility in all directions. In the UK, with far higher motoring density, that's a quite usual speed to travel at.

Yes - the driver was breaking the law, and the law has been applied as laid down. But it does suggest the law is an ass, and that the total lack of discretion exercised on the part of some police officers (although I'm not aware of any discretion being exercised anywhere) is ridiculous.

Bike
    That's less than 90mph, on a likely empty two lane carriageway with clear visibility in all directions. In the UK, with far higher motoring density, that's a quite usual speed to travel at.

Yes - the driver was breaking the law, and the law has been applied as laid down. But it does suggest the law is an ass, and that the total lack of discretion exercised on the part of some police officers (although I'm not aware of any discretion being exercised anywhere) is ridiculous.
    People can harp on and blindly follow all they like about the 'law', right off a cliff even, but the law is written by man, and as it turns out a lot of men are fuckin idiots...sheeple (or not) through life with that in mind I say.

/rant

Bike
    Wots I gots.

In my admittedly anecdotal experience, some police officers are very experienced at exercising discretion.

Young, sober, well-behaved teenage daughter assaulted in broad daylight on the main street; interviewed by phone, medical report supplied, but discretion exercised, "nothing we can do".

Repeated burglaries (times three in five years); discretion exercised, "report it to your insurance company" (subtext: don't expect us to do anything about it, and don't bother us again).

Reg and WOF stolen from bike; discretion exercised, "don't bother us, just replace them".

Number plate mounted vertically instead of horizontally (having passed two years worth of WOFs... no significant discretion exercised, "get off the road until you replace it with a legal-plate-orientation, and don't let me see you on the road again until that's done".

And so it goes.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    In my admittedly anecdotal experience, some police officers are very experienced at exercising discretion.

Young, sober, well-behaved teenage daughter assaulted in broad daylight on the main street; interviewed by phone, medical report supplied, but discretion exercised, "nothing we can do".

Repeated burglaries (times three in five years); discretion exercised, "report it to your insurance company" (subtext: don't expect us to do anything about it, and don't bother us again).

Reg and WOF stolen from bike; discretion exercised, "don't bother us, just replace them".

Number plate mounted vertically instead of horizontally (having passed two years worth of WOFs... no significant discretion exercised, "get off the road until you replace it with a legal-plate-orientation, and don't let me see you on the road again until that's done".

And so it goes.
    And yet, if your Daughter had a set of Knuckle Dusters on her, or you had killed the Cretins who burgled your house/stole your bike, it would be an entirely different story...
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Thread Information