Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $6-8k, looking for suggestions

Bike
    2012 M50

$6-8k, looking for suggestions

So, looking for a new bike, have up to 8K to spend now trying to figure out what to go for.
    I'm set on something around the 600cc mark ideally 25-30,000km and newer the better.

I'm stepping up from 2 years on a Ninja 250 so this will be my first full license bike. Wont be needing it as a daily ride like my Ninja was, more looking at it for weekend rides and possibly a few track days.
    So far have sat on a number of bikes and have no issue with the body position needed for the sportbikes ie GSXR, R6 and ZX6R.

Have a bit of a thing for the 05/06 model 636 zx6r's but have no idea on what is a reasonable price(most people have rejected my bag of chips offers...) and most of the ones on TradeMe seem to be up around the 40,000km+ mark and asking around 7-7.5

Am I expecting too much for the money I want to spend?

Thoughts suggestions etc welcome...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    You're not expecting too much mate, it's just the retarded prices people ask for 600s here. You can buy a K5/6 Gixxer thou for the same money as a Gixxer 6...

Anyhoo,
    The nicest of the lot to ride on the road IMHO is the 05 on CBR600, excellent bikes.
    I'm a fan of the 636 and 6RR (the RR has heaps of tasty bits stuck on it, decent suspension adjustment, radial brakes, cassette gearbox, adjustable swing arm pivot, forged pistons blah-de-blah)

But if your budget can manage a Daytona 675 or a Street trip, you must try them before thinking of others

Alternatively, buy a 'Busa
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    CB1300
    Seems to have been a gradual increase in the price of a 600 along with a reduction in selling prices for 1l+ bikes. . My recommendation would be don't focus on cc unless you have a specific need such as the track days you want to do are not open to 1l+ in your class. . Focus on the best bike for you.
    Example? When I was looking for a clean CB900 I found a CB1300 was a better fit and about a grand and a half cheaper. A little thirstier though.

What will you do most with your bike?
    Track days and away days? Cool so do you actually want a sport bike or just one that is set up well enough to go to 3 track days a year? Or are you going to every track day on the calendar?
    Are you a big unit or a jockey?
    Bigger bikes are easier to set up for bigger riders and have more upgrades avail.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    2012 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    The nicest of the lot to ride on the road IMHO is the 05 on CBR600, excellent bikes.
    I'm a fan of the 636 and 6RR (the RR has heaps of tasty bits stuck on it, decent suspension adjustment, radial brakes, cassette gearbox, adjustable swing arm pivot, forged pistons blah-de-blah)
    But if your budget can manage a Daytona 675 or a Street trip, you must try them before thinking of others
    Alternatively, buy a 'Busa
    Hmm hadnt really thought of the Honda's though a quick scan they seem to be in the same ballpark as the other 600's. Will see if I can find either of the 675's to get a closer look.
    Busa is tempting but also think 250cc-1300cc may be a little bit of a leap (that and SWMBO keeps nixxing things like the z1000 I was looking at...)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Track days and away days? Cool so do you actually want a sport bike or just one that is set up well enough to go to 3 track days a year? Or are you going to every track day on the calendar?
    Are you a big unit or a jockey?
    Bigger bikes are easier to set up for bigger riders and have more upgrades avail.
    Not for racing
    TBH for me part of it is going to be the look of the bike, I'll be looking to start with just a couple of track days and see how it goes, I want somewhere that I can see what the bike is capable of that isnt the road.
    I'd be on the larger end of the spectrum, just over 6 foot and 105kg.
    Guess I'm trying to not get myself in trouble jumping onto too much bike to quickly.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by n3Xro View Post
    Hmm hadnt really thought of the Honda's though a quick scan they seem to be in the same ballpark as the other 600's. Will see if I can find either of the 675's to get a closer look.
    Busa is tempting but also think 250cc-1300cc may be a little bit of a leap (that and SWMBO keeps nixxing things like the z1000 I was looking at...)

The Honda is the best built and has a lovely motor, real smooth and easy to ride, still goes like fuck though (all propper 600s do anyway)
    The 636 has more of a ballsy feel and a grouse top end, as does the 6RR.
    The 06 onwards R6 is a peaky cunt and harsh to ride on the road in comparison to the rest, but mega fun
    The 675 is grogeous, and has a stonking motor, handles beautifully. Mighty machine
    The K5/6 600 Gixxer does everything it is meant to, great bike. Just lacks the refinement of the Honda, but IMO a better build quality than the Kawasaki

They're all hella fun to ride. So really, whatever fits you bestest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    The Honda is the best built and has a lovely motor, real smooth and easy to ride, still goes like fuck though (all propper 600s do anyway)
    The 636 has more of a ballsy feel and a grouse top end, as does the 6RR.
    The 06 onwards R6 is a peaky cunt and harsh to ride on the road in comparison to the rest, but mega fun
    The 675 is grogeous, and has a stonking motor, handles beautifully. Mighty machine
    The K5/6 600 Gixxer does everything it is meant to, great bike. Just lacks the refinement of the Honda, but IMO a better build quality than the Kawasaki

They're all hella fun to ride. So really, whatever fits you bestest
    Thats a pretty accurate summary of the 600 market I reckon. I rode a few before I bought mine 4 years ago.

My two cents worth, get on a few and try them out. Its all personal preference and you might not like some of them and rule them out.

I reckon you should be able to find a Gixxer, CBR, Kawa or R6 in your price range. Might struggle to find a Daytona for 8K though.

Bike
    2012 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruahine View Post
    Thats a pretty accurate summary of the 600 market I reckon. I rode a few before I bought mine 4 years ago.
    My two cents worth, get on a few and try them out. Its all personal preference and you might not like some of them and rule them out.
    I reckon you should be able to find a Gixxer, CBR, Kawa or R6 in your price range. Might struggle to find a Daytona for 8K though.
    What sort of K's would you be expecting on a 600 for 8k though? Theres a handful asking $7,500 give or take $500 but all showing 40,000+ which just seems high for the $$$ involved. I've even found a CBR600RR with 109,000ks wanting $7495....

Bike
    CB1300
    Some people don't actually want to sell their bikes. Some are listed perpetually for more than the owner paid.
    At a buck oh five in weight you will want to pay attention to max laden weight. I forget which ones but some middle weights have 2 up recommendations under a buck. This is a pretty good indicator or the how the shock will cope or will you need to spend a grand on that. It is also an indication how much weight the subframe ( the bit of the frame the seat is on, usually from the spar back) can take.

Bike
    CB1300
    Also don't rule out a 750 or a 900.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by n3Xro View Post
    What sort of K's would you be expecting on a 600 for 8k though? Theres a handful asking $7,500 give or take $500 but all showing 40,000+ which just seems high for the $$$ involved.
    I think that's reasonable. Fairly new-ish models (2010+) with low kms you are looking at above $10k (dealer price).

But then again, I recall seeing some litre bikes (GSXR K2 or 3s, 2003 R1s) on sale sub 40,000km around $8k mark... I think.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Guys that want $7k+ for ~10 year old 600s are fucking dreaming. 6-8k is a perfectly reasonable budget, you just might have to wait a bit for the right bike.

The 600 super sport market is driven more by what people have to spend than anything else but it's worth remembering that a brand new GSXR600 is only $13k at the moment. Once you hit the base line you tend to get more out of each extra dollar than the one preceding it. i.e. given a $1 reserve auction with everything else equal a raped 2003 GSXR600 might go for $4k while a reasonable 2006 goes for 6 and a tidy 2011 would go for 8.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    6foot 105kg
    Idd buy a 1k if I was you as long as you have some self control. The first one (CBR) is most likely easiest to ride.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-855452467.htm Suggest go look at the paint job though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-854498085.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-852597950.htm
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    S1000RR
    That. I would SERIOUSLY consider that. Full open Yoshimura pipes sound AWESOME on GSXR1000s.

K8s were last of the best looking GSXRs in my preference.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Superduke 990
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    That. I would SERIOUSLY consider that. Full open Yoshimura pipes sound AWESOME on GSXR1000s.

K8s were last of the best looking GSXRs in my preference.
    I reckon that will definitely push over the $8k mark though, and that ZX10R looks meeeeean in satin black.

Mossy will find you a bike n3xro - he's a trademe ninja.

WELLINGTON: Tag-o-rama

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyrobot View Post
    I reckon that will definitely push over the $8k mark though, and that ZX10R looks meeeeean in satin black.

Mossy will find you a bike n3xro - he's a trademe ninja.
    The zx10 I think would go on a 8k offer. It would be my pick but I have a few years riding experience.
    The gsxr will likely land 9k-9.5k im thinking.
    The cbr is likely a more forgiving bike to ride and is good value. Suggest go look at the paint job though.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information