Thread: Chile and Argentina 2015/2016

Bike
    2008 V strom 1000
    Blog Entries

Chile and Argentina 2015/2016

Hi all

Contemplating a tour of Chile and Argentina Nov 2015 to January 2016. Early days I know but I am away from NZ from April to September so need to get things moving as it is more difficult on the road. I have done Europe , Turkey, Morocco and Central America - the blogs are on this site.

Plan is

1. Head for Santiago early November and buy bike. I like the Honda Falcon 400 but there are a few KLR650 available Registration, insurance etc seem reasonably straightforward. I managed it in CA with limited Spanish

2. Head North to the desert, then swing south via Patagonia to arrive at the bottom around new year via Carreta Austral. Head back to Bueno Aires via Ruta 40, then back to Santiago. Don't want to go South too early and perhaps need a couple of weeks in Chile to sort out paperwork or bike mods

3. Sell bike or store for further trip later in 2016

Anyone see any flaws in the plan?

If you are planning a similar trip, please get in touch. We could perhaps share ideas, travel time and some costs etc.

Thanks in advance

Ride Safe

Peter

Bike
    Two problems:

1.) I'm not going.
    2.) Considering selling instead of a second trip.

Glad I could help

Don't know jack about Argentina, but I was beering with some Chileans the other day and by the sounds of it you want to know the 'no go' areas rather than find them. I think they are predominantly in the south where some areas are 'self policed' by one of the indigenous tribes that are pretty anti capitalism.

Looks like an absolutely stunning part of the world and is near the top of my 'next trip' list, look forward to the blogging.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Just got back from 5 weeks touring Patagonia on Sunday. Me and Rosie hired a couple of Falcons from Ride Chile in Santiago. Had a great time.

If you're not too big a guy or carrying too much crap the Falcons do alright. We stuck around the Andes most of the time so only had the occasional long stretch of highway but if you were punching out a few bigger miles to get over to Buenos Aires way etc the KLR might be a better bet. The extra range would be good too, the Falcons weren't too thirsty just putting around, but at 100km/h into a headwind our friends 2-up on a KTM 950 used less gas.

We will be putting up a ride report on ADV over the next few weeks as we get our pics sorted, will post a link. Feel free to weigh in on there or if you're down Rotorua way we could meet up over a beer.

Cheers
    Clint

Thread Information