Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you be pissed off?

Bike
    A fast one

Would you be pissed off?

Shelled out the big bucks on a chain and sprocket kit 2 months ago and after looking over the bike on the weekend I have noticed this:

This is after around 5000km of riding. I have been cleaning the chain once a week or every 400kms and lubing it with Motul chain oil.

When I approached the seller about it, their response was:

Well it's obvious ya don't clean it that much LOL...

Is it going to be worth my time fighting to get my money back or is it a case of shit happens, harden up?

I purchased the chain and sprocket kit from a reputable seller in the US.

Bike
    bandit
    Shit happens ... don't buy parts overseas - it's too far to go for your money back

But it looks like something has been rubbing on the chain - the rivets are all pushed around and grazed. Check to see what might be touching the chain .. I've never had rivets do that ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    a red heap
    why has it gone mouldy?

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Is the sprocket the right size/symmetrical? Loose chain?

Bike
    a smelly one
    You haven't been cleaning it with a wire brush have ya? Just wondering why it all looks a bit scuffed up, or is that lint? I've had o-rings come out of chains, but I'm pretty shit with keeping mine clean. It's not really a big deal, considering you clean and lube it so often anyway.

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Shit happens ... don't buy parts overseas - it's too far to go for your money back

But it looks like something has been rubbing on the chain - the rivets are all pushed around and grazed. Check to see what might be touching the chain .. I've never had rivets do that ..
    I couldn't get this kit here in NZ. Nothing is rubbing on it, the chain looks normal as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    why has it gone mouldy?
    That would be residual bits of paper towel from when I was wiping it to take a photo, before cleaning it further.

Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    Is the sprocket the right size/symmetrical? Loose chain?
    Yes; this kit is made specifically for my bike, chain tension is perfecto.

Quote Originally Posted by iranana View Post
    You haven't been cleaning it with a wire brush have ya? Just wondering why it all looks a bit scuffed up, or is that lint? I've had o-rings come out of chains, but I'm pretty shit with keeping mine clean. It's not really a big deal, considering you clean and lube it so often anyway...
    See above - paper towel residue from wiping before taking a photo. The only thing I use to clean the chain/sprockets is a rag with warm soapy water.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Well LDH is all about the sale....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    I couldn't get this kit here in NZ. Nothing is rubbing on it, the chain looks normal as ever.

It does not look normal to me - it looks very very used .. the scuff marks on the rivet heads should not look like that ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Not sure about warm soapy water tbh. If you washed o-rings with soapy water and let them dry out sometimes they go all shit. Hence why it's recommended you clean with something like kerosene or even diesel so it still keeps the o-rings and rest of the chain lubricated. Water will just sit there and displace lubricant with the help of the soap. That, coupled with washing and cleaning the chain so regularly probably didn't help...

Mine has lasted over 10,000km and I have cleaned it once at 5000km with kerosene, lubricated every 800km or whenever it has gotten wet. Haven't even had to adjust it except after the first 300km or so as it has consistently been within spec since then.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    I have been cleaning the chain once a week or every 400kms and lubing it with Motul chain oil.
    You really should get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by The End
    I purchased the chain and sprocket kit from a reputable seller in the US.
    Ask them nicely & they might send you a new o-ring.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Yes I would be pissed off but the question is - would I do anything about it? Or could I do anything and in your case I guess there isn't so - live and learn I suppose...

Are you saying you cannot get a chain / sprocket kit for a Hornet in NZ?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I never clean or oil the chain. Some of the time I remember to fill up the Scottoiler. Get 30k+ out of each chain and sprocket set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Looks to be a lot of grit on there, perhaps due to such frequent washing some of the grit has been forced/worked its way under the o-rings. Chain oil on a road bike is just shit, wax is better, best of all I've found is a dry wax teflon lube by dupont; fuck knows who sells it now though, was probably made out of panda foreskin or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    It does not look normal to me - it looks very very used .. the scuff marks on the rivet heads should not look like that ...
    Looks pretty normal to me, that is just how they peen em over.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Yes I would be pissed off but the question is - would I do anything about it? Or could I do anything and in your case I guess there isn't so - live and learn I suppose...

Are you saying you cannot get a chain / sprocket kit for a Hornet in NZ?
    A kit I could, but not this specific one.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Motul is my oil of choice, with one exception; their chain lube. I goes on very low viscocity but dries quickly and becomes very sticky. All manner of grit and crap sticks to the chain to act like grinding paste. I suspect it's the sticky lube that makes it look as if you haven't cleaned the chain very well.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information