Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yEE hAA! - Got me a bike!

Bike
    Left Jandal

yEE hAA! - Got me a bike!

Got an RG150 on yesterday - pick it up later this week.

Semi- broke myself in my test riding it in the rain. decided not to wear bike pants, and paid for it with numb knees. Still awesome.

Cant wait to get it!

Bike
    Suzuki TL1000Sx 98
    hehe.. congratulations Albin.. happy riding =)
    You can't fight sleep.. if you feel tired, stop and rest!

Bike
    Aquired by locals
    Congrats matey, get in touch with Pyrocam. He also has a RG150 in Auckland.
    To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh sooner or late
    And how can a man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his Gods

Bike
    05Honda CB900FHornet, 95GSXR750W
    Congrats mate, ride safely at least until you have a bit of experience.
    Vi Et Armis

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Congratulations

And COVER THE CLUTCH
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1998 suzuki RG150e (AETC)... X2
    Congrats on the bike. RG150's are awesme! - just be careful with powerband in the wet with a crap back tyre...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    Congrats matey, get in touch with Pyrocam. He also has a RG150 in Auckland.
    Pyrocam has an RGV150... different, but still a suzuki 2-smoke
    I suffer from hooliganism.... Know me before you judge me
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...7&postcount=83
    i need to practice my "this shit doesn't burn" face
    Welcome, ZorsT.
    You last visited: 1st November 2007 at 22:15

Bike
    Left Jandal
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Congratulations

And COVER THE CLUTCH
    What do you mean? Can you explain why etc?

I'll give you cookies...

Bike
    Aprilia RS250
    Quote Originally Posted by Albin

I'll give you cookies...
    In the event of a seizure, covering the clutch will allow you to come out without first meeting the tarmac.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe

I'll give you cookies...
    Two strokes may sometimes seize up (Now don't panic, it's not that common nowdays, but it does happen - ask Mr pyrocam).

If the motor seizes, the rear wheel will lock, which can be a tad awkward . Especially if it's mid corner. Covering the clutch (riding with your open left hand resting on the lever) means you can pull in the clutch to unlock the wheel (the motor will remain locked up of course) that bit more quickly. When they seize , you usually don't get much warning.

Don't panic over this, people often ride two smokers for thousands of kilometres without a seizure. But it definately can happen, so it's as well to be prepared.

Do remember too, that the motor is designed , deliberately, to burn oil. So the level in the oil tank WILL drop , and can do so surprisingly fast. So it's as well to get in the habit of checking and refilling every time you get petrol (use a good two stroke oil NOT ordinary cage oil) . Personally , I like to be able to see a bit of smoke, 'tis reassuring like.

Some older riders advocate covering the clutch on 4 strokes as well. I suppose there's nothing wrong with it , but to my mind the likelihood nowdays of a four stroke seizing is very very remote. As I said, it's mainly an old fogy thing, from the days of shit lubricants and the early aluminium pistons (I know old riders who still maintain that cast iron pistons were better, but that's another story)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Left Jandal
    2 stroke oil thing - yeah, I had an RX7 once before it drunk me under the table. "they're thirsty" someone said, I thought, "they cant be THAT bad". Now I've learned to listen.

Mystery solved then. I thought I had to get it covered, with bark buster thing or some kind of flywheel/clutch protecter. i will definately make it a habit to cover the clutch. At the moment Im so occupied with gears, breaks, throttle, I cant feel the bike like i can feel a car - you know, feeling where the weight is, what wheels doing what etc.

Bike
    In between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    And COVER THE CLUTCH
    Have covered the clutch since I learnt to ride oh so many years ago, it just feels perfectly natural and relaxed. It's also an insurance policy when under heavy (emergency) brakes, especially in the wet, against sudden engine stalls. Besides that, every five seconds I've a gear shift before hitting 55km/hr in fifth, makes wrapping the hand back and forth around the grips pointless.

At the moment Im so occupied with gears, breaks, throttle, I cant feel the bike like i can feel a car - you know, feeling where the weight is, what wheels doing what etc.
    In good time, these will become second nature and you'll start to feel what your bike is doing beneath you.

First thing to do is relax and listen to the feedback you're getting from the bike, so find a quiet street and practise detecting just the slightest touch of rear/front brake, try changing direction by placing more weight on one side of the bars and/or foot pegs, and again do this in corners. Weave around imaginary road cones. Without using the speedometer, try guessing your speed by just listening to your engine and knowing which gear you're in. Try knocking off exactly 2km without looking. Next time you're in slow start-stop traffic, try not to stop - it's a balancing act. Try counter-steering - scary at first but very powerful. When you see a stone/cat eye, try to get just your front or rear wheel to go over it but not the other, and detect the small bump(s) when either/both wheels go over it. There are so many games you can play to learn the feel of your bike, these are just some of them.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    1993 ZZR 600
    Wicked bike. They are a LOT of fun . Watch out for the wind though and make sure you use some half decent 2 stroke oil in it.

Probably want to at least take off the power valve cover and clean out all the muck... apparently you should pull out and clean the power valves too... I have been to scared to soo far.

When I first got mine and pulled of the pv cover it was full of black muck and the two springs that were supposed to help the powervalves were floating around and the clip supposed to be holding them in was broken.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13898

Have fun!
    ¿Porque no ?

Bike
    Left Jandal
    Im not really mechanically minded - well, Im too scared to rodger it, so dont really touch engines unless someone tells me that its ok - only "engine" stuff I've done is change the rocker cover gasket and a thermostat on a car. Is there a manual or something around for these bikes?

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    and watch out for wet drain covers etc

Bike
    1993 ZZR 600
    I have half a manual... that has all that sort of stuff in it. Someone hooked me up with it though here. Its a 40mb pdf
    ¿Porque no ?

Thread Information