Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Turbans instead of helmets?

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Clearly they should be wearing helmets, as they all seem to have some sort of head injury already. Judging by how many have bandages on their heads.

Considering you can wear a piece of crap half helmet and still be riding legally, a turban is probably not really much worse protection

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baffa View Post

Considering you can wear a piece of crap half helmet and still be riding legally, a turban is probably not really much worse protection

Well ... when his turban hits the deck in an accident ... it's highly likely he'll be dead. No long term on-going ACC payments ... Who wins .... and who is the loser in such case .. ???

Many (on THIS site) still want the freedom of choice to wear helmets (or not) ...

At least they have a Legal right NOT to ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Initially, when I saw the turban I was surprised, had never thought about it.

later I tried riding without a helmet it was cool, it felt much like the Harley etc ads you see from usa.

then I realised althought it felt great, I realised that I had much better chance of survival wearing my full face helmet.

Esp since I have had several near misses recently with people running the red lights

but I think people should have a choice. As long as they are presented with all the facts, they can make a decision themselves, as some say Darwinism in action.

it now doesn't affect me, it's their decision.
    ok ACC cost somewhere. Bugger.

i also apply this thinking to other aspects of life.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    What a stunning array of bigoted red-necks this site has.
    File that in the old-news category.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Initially, when I saw the turban I was surprised, had never thought about it.

later I tried riding without a helmet it was cool, it felt much like the Harley etc ads you see from usa.

then I realised althought it felt great, I realised that I had much better chance of survival wearing my full face helmet.

Esp since I have had several near misses recently with people running the red lights

but I think people should have a choice. As long as they are presented with all the facts, they can make a decision themselves, as some say Darwinism in action.

it now doesn't affect me, it's their decision.
    ok ACC cost somewhere. Bugger.

i also apply this thinking to other aspects of life.
    Yeah .. many here, like me, were riding bikes when it was not compulsory to wear a helmet ... It was fucking wonderful and we objected to being forced to wear one ...

But after writing off two full face helmets on the front parts, where it would have been my face and head, I would never ride without one again ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I trust you will forgive me providing a rather dour medical perspective

• people who crash wearing fullface helmets usually don't need to have their facial bones rebuilt
    • people who crash without any helmets usually don't make it to the ER
    • people who crash at slow speed without helmets often make it to the ER but don't necessarily do as well as they used to after that; e.g. Gary Busey, Billy Idol (disclaimer, not my patients... I do not have a celebrity practice :-) )
    • people who crash wearing open face helmets are easy to intubate because the front of their face is usually mobile (and trust me, that is not a Good Thing for the patient even tho' it technically makes my life easier)

I am nervous even firing up my bike to ride it out of the garage without a helmet on
    IMO helmets are a necessary evil
    Unlike, unnecessary evils

As usual, my opinion only, your mileage may vary...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    I trust you will forgive me providing a rather dour medical perspective
    No problem.

How many of them were Sikhs though? I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say zero.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    How many of them were Sikhs though? I am going to take a wild stab in the dark here and say zero.
    None of my patients were. But (when working in the NHS) I saw a Sikh gent admitted who slid off on an M25 exit without a helmet and who had unsurvivable facial / occipital trauma as a consequence. Exactly as would anyone not wearing a helmet; turbans are not a 'shield of steel' *. Head injuries from coming off bikes even at low speeds do not do well. You could also check with Indian Larry.

(* anyone old enough to remember Batfink from the days of one TV Channel?) .

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    None of my patients were. But (when working in the NHS) I saw a Sikh gent admitted who slid off on an M25 exit without a helmet and who had unsurvivable facial / occipital trauma as a consequence. Exactly as would anyone not wearing a helmet; turbans are not a 'shield of steel' *. Head injuries from coming off bikes even at low speeds do not do well. You could also check with Indian Larry.
    I thought that the UK would only allow that dispensation on urban roads as they do here, so the M25 would not be allowed. Sounds like they allow it everywhere though.

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    'Twas a common sight in Singapore when I lived there in the early 80's....along with jackets on back to front.

Funniest thing was one time when it started to rain (typical tropical effing downpour) and this chap pulls over and puts a shower cap over his turban!!
    Thread dredge I know, but they still wear their jackets back to front in singers
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Thread Information