Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticket for no rego - withdrawn.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX400X

Ticket for no rego - withdrawn.

A friend was taking his unregistered bike for reregistration (been out for 3 years) - and gets stopped by two police as they notice the rego had run out.

Bearing in mind this has all been prebooked, for some unknown reason the cops decide to give him a ticket for no rego - and not for lack of a warrant - seeming to forget you can't get rego without a warrant. (and the bike was never parked on the road).

At my suggestion he wrote in with an explanation - and of course "requested a hearing"

Summons duly came through, the date being 10am today.

Turned up at court...to find the case had been withdrawn a month ago.

Why do the police find it so difficult to actually tell anyone when they withdraw? Idiots.

At least the three speeding offences the police have withdrawn against me they have had the decency to tell me (the evening before).

Unlike the summons I had for "theft of a wheelclamp", everyone finally assembled at court (where I could prove I didn't do it), only to find the case had been withdrawn...and the police (yet again) hadn't bothered to tell anyone. Must have cost the legal aid fund a few thousand dollars, totally due to police incompetence.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'd be more worried about the amount of times you are getting summoned mate......

As for your 'friend' and his rego - suck it up he dodged a very legal fine.
    Fact the bike had not been registered for three years.
    Fact he was riding it on the road.
    Thus braking the law.

I bet every cop who pulls over a vehicle without current rego hears the line 'I was just on my way to get it done.....'

It was most likely dropped because the $200 fine would have cost $1000 of police time to defend (and win).

But I do agree - if they are dropping them, notify in advance.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    why didnt they give him compliance?

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    Maaaaybe attitude test, probably why the withdrawal notice was also missing.

Still a c*nty thing to do from the police officers in question.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    Its a Boat
    ''A friend was taking his unregistered bike for registration (been out for 3 years) - and gets stopped by two police as they notice the rego had run out.
    Bearing in mind this has all been prebooked, for some unknown reason the cops decide to give him a ticket for no rego - and not for lack of a warrant - seeming to forget you can't get rego without a warrant''.

At the time of stopping the motorcyclist, the bike was not registered, hence the ticket, I am guessing the bike had a warrant (hence the no ticket for that) because, why would anyone attempt to register a vehicle without a warrant? all good so far.
    Only a courtesy to notify not law.

''At my suggestion he wrote in with an explanation - and of course "requested a hearing"

Win/win for your mate, he wrote in, and frankly the courts probably can't be arsed with such a nothing case.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    Typically they offer compliance if the rego or whatever is recently expired. Perhaps only a geologist would consider three years to be "recent".
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Katana GS650 1983
    How do you pre book a registration???

Are you sure the WOF wasnt pre booked???
    YOU ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!! ENJOY LIFE WHILE YOU HAVE IT!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by IkieBikie View Post
    How do you pre book a registration???

Are you sure the WOF wasnt pre booked???
    AND it can be done on-line anyway - don't even have to leave the driveway to do it.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    AND it can be done on-line anyway - don't even have to leave the driveway to do it.
    only if ya bike has a current warrant, other problem is havin to wait for the damned thing to arrive in the mail and with all this talk of you fella's helping the parking wardens and giving out tickets for incorrectly displayed regos one must ride to town to get regoed, (i think thats what i meant)

you goin to the brass?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX400X
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well.

The registration number of the bike hadn't been put on hold three years ago - and had hence been cancelled.

On the way to get the an inspection and a new registration number, a policeman gave a ticket for no "rego", ie vehicle licence - which cannot be purchased without a WOF. No WOF can be issued until the bike had been inspected.

The policeman concerned simply wasted time and resources in issuing a ticket which shouldn't have been issued, and the police were discourteous not to inform the "defendant", the summons had been withdrawn.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Problem is about every second person stopped for expired reg or wof says they are just on their way to do it. The BS the cops get is what fecks us all over.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well.

The registration number of the bike hadn't been put on hold three years ago - and had hence been cancelled.

On the way to get the an inspection and a new registration number, a policeman gave a ticket for no "rego", ie vehicle licence - which cannot be purchased without a WOF. No WOF can be issued until the bike had been inspected.

The policeman concerned simply wasted time and resources in issuing a ticket which shouldn't have been issued, and the police were discourteous not to inform the "defendant", the summons had been withdrawn.
    'Legally' then it should have been on a trailer.

If it was indeed booked in for compliance the fuzz could have checked quicker than the time it takes to sort out a ticket, if they wanted to...

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/regi...gistering.html

"Need to move your vehicle before you have the new plates and label?

Your vehicle will need to be towed or transported. You cannot drive your vehicle on the road until the re-registration process is complete."

Law is the law mate.

Bike
    RGV250, GP100 Bucket
    I bet all you guys saying tough shit break your fair share of laws

Thread Information