Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some questions re biking in New Zealand

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Thanks to all for the excellent advice. If I don't have to convert my UK licence for a year that will sort it out I reckon. I will check out the two insurance recommendations given, thanks for that. I wouldn't import the bike on its own as you are correct that would be too costly. It will be coming in a container with the rest of our stuff which makes it viable. I have been looking at Trade Me and I haven't seen many Mk1 bandits for sale. Are they designated GSX in NZ? The only Mark 1 I saw was with the dealer Red Baron and they were asking a huge amount for it. I don't really fancy the later Bandit models as they aren't as visceral or as soulful as a Mk1. Thanks for the info re brake rotors. I fancied going for wavy ones anyway. Apart from that, the bike is sound structurally. As for Jocks being tight, that is a myth propogated by our English neighbours. Most Scots are really generous in my experience. Those from Aberdeen, well they are a different kettle of fish. You won't meet many tighter than a Yorkshire man! Thanks again for all the info and advice.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    There's always a few bandits around. These should universally be under $4-5k.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...ch_suggested=0

Bike
    Insurance on your UK licence will potentially be horrendous compared to switching to an NZ one.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Cheers for that. I probably won't be bringing the bike over immediately. It's too long and boring a story to explain why. If the insurance is horrendous on a UK licence then I will convert to car NZ licence immediately and convert the bike one once the two year period is up. My fiancees son is giving us his old Holden. In the mean time I might consider getting a Yamaha Tricity which bizarrely you can ride on a car licence in NZ but not in the UK! Not quite two wheels but when I bring the Bandit over, we will have a two wheeler, three wheeler and four wheeler! Plus my fiancee will be able to ride the three wheeler as well.

Thanks for showing me the Trade Me bandits. I'm not up on NZ geography yet. Were any of those near Auckland? Also a non bike related question. Why do Aucklanders come in for so much abuse? I hear that they are called JAFAs.

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Weirdly enough none of those are near Auckland. Having said that, pretty much anything in the North Island is riding distance.

Auckland gets a bad rep because no one outside Auckland can fathom why people would want to live there. We are in one of the most wonderful countries in the world, and yet a third of our population insists on cramming themselves into the same ugly shoebox and then whining endlessly that property prices are too high.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Ha ha thanks for that. I and many other Scots feel the same way about London. You are absolutely right about NZ being one of the most wonderful countries in the world. I was in NZ for only two days and I knew that I had to move there. I've only managed to see Auckland, Paihia, Hamilton and Rotorua so far on holiday. All great in their own ways. Only 3.5 months to go!

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by Largs Saint View Post
    Cheers for that. I probably won't be bringing the bike over immediately. It's too long and boring a story to explain why. If the insurance is horrendous on a UK licence then I will convert to car NZ licence immediately and convert the bike one once the two year period is up. My fiancees son is giving us his old Holden. In the mean time I might consider getting a Yamaha Tricity which bizarrely you can ride on a car licence in NZ but not in the UK! Not quite two wheels but when I bring the Bandit over, we will have a two wheeler, three wheeler and four wheeler! Plus my fiancee will be able to ride the three wheeler as well.

Thanks for showing me the Trade Me bandits. I'm not up on NZ geography yet. Were any of those near Auckland? Also a non bike related question. Why do Aucklanders come in for so much abuse? I hear that they are called JAFAs.
    Seriously - insurance is cheap here.

My UK insurance was $1300 on a 1.3l car. When I arrived in NZ, I paid $70 on a 2.5l car. I asked if that was the monthly price!!!!

Also, many insurance companies ask how many years "experience" you have riding bikes.
    I declared 18 months on a 1000cc GSXR parked, unsecured, in Auckland city.
    $500 fully comp.

We are a land of immigrants. When I arrived, the AA asked what license I had. They then asked how long - "one month". The didn't like that until I said "but I've had a UK license 4 years". Then they went, "Oh - that is fine. We mean how long since you started driving".

Stick your bike in the container, convert your license (if you have to do a theory test, so be it - if you can't pass it you probably shouldn't be on the road) and hit the road

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Good to know Johnny K . Thanks again.

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Also, unlike the UK, you don't surrender your license to convert it. They'll take a photocopy and hand it back.

Bring your counterpart though - someone probably hasn't told them that it isn't a thing any more yet!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I have used Vero for a few years. Never claimed so don't know how good they actually are but worth a quote -
    I had my (then new) VFR insured with Vero through the Honda Riders Club when I threw it into a ditch. Vero were brilliant they replaced everything that was damaged, nothing was repaired. The boss of the local Honda shop said he was used to having to snarl and fight to get anything out of an insurance company, but Vero phoned and asked if the customer was happy - which was very different.

Don't know if they are always like that but my experience with them was excellent.

I always feel we should ask the Christchurch people for advice re insurance companies, they know who is good and who is not.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I had my (then new) VFR insured with Vero through the Honda Riders Club when I threw it into a ditch. Vero were brilliant they replaced everything that was damaged, nothing was repaired. The boss of the local Honda shop said he was used to having to snarl and fight to get anything out of an insurance company, but Vero phoned and asked if the customer was happy - which was very different.

Don't know if they are always like that but my experience with them was excellent.

I always feel we should ask the Christchurch people for advice re insurance companies, they know who is good and who is not.
    I had to claim with Vero for a pushbike that was chained to a bus stop in a storm. The lock held firm while the bus stop blew into the road bending the frame!

They were perfect

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..

Welcome to this site, you can get good advice from SOME members!

Oh, and the old man grew up in West Kilbride.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Thanks again Johnny K, Pritch and Scumdog. I've had some excellent advice from the members here. I'll make sure to bring both parts of my licence. Sounds like Vero and Kiwibiker Insurance are both good. Scumdog so your old man is from just down the road. Nice place West Kilbride. Another good part of the Scottish Riviera Just a shame it rains so much :-(

Bike
    2014 BMW R1200GSA
    ................ As for Jocks being tight, that is a myth propogated by our English neighbours. Most Scots are really generous in my experience. Those from Aberdeen, well they are a different kettle of fish. You won't meet many tighter than a Yorkshire man! Thanks again for all the info and advice.
    I won't propagate the myth but ..... being a good scot I'm sure you ensured you got good value when booking a container ;-) I'm thinking of moving back to NZ in the next year or so and will probably need a container. Did you find any companies better than the other? and if you don't mind me asking, what sort of price were being quoted?

Good luck with the move. I'm sure you will enjoy NZ

Wayne
    PS: sorry for hijacking the thread ....

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    Hi Wayne we haven't compared quotes yet. We have only considered Anglo Pacific mainly because they ship from Glasgow. When I come out initially I won't be bringing a container because we haven't sold our house yet. Bit of a nightmare. This means we will stay in NZ for seven months and then back to UK for five or until the house sells. The effects of the actions of the U.K wanker bankers and the consequences of what they did in 2008 are still being felt today in terms of selling property. The value of our property has halved in those seven years and it still isn't selling. Anyway enough of my woes this thread that I found might help you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...-uk-nz-823374/

Thread Information