Thread: Private motorcycle import experiences?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS650E

Private motorcycle import experiences?

Hey there, I would like to bring my motorcycle with me when I permanently relocate back to NZ from Canada. I am in the initial stages of weighing up costs and efforts. ie; is it cheaper to just sell my bike here and replace it when I get back home....I ride an 82 GS650E which is in outstanding condition and needless to say I'm somewhat attached to the ol' girl. Does anyone have any experience, advice or recommendations to share? I look forward to hearing from you, cheers.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Er - wouldn't the cost of shipping be more that it's worth?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Concur. It cost me just shy of $1000 to collect my bike after paying MPI, Customs, freight handlers etc. That does not include shipping costs. Not sure how much it will cost to get on the road (VIN) but again with charges, work that needs done to the bike and faffing about I'm budgeting about the same.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Yeup, what he said as well. I'm not sure how much you value the bike, not sure what it's worth here either.

Unless it's really customised or one off etc, then I doubt a 1982 is going to be worth more than shipping, ie, you'd have more money if you bought something here, plus plenty of motorcycles available depending on what you want.

It cost NZD$3000 to return ship my motorcycle Wellington > Los Angeles > Auckland. Your shipping would be one way, but you'd have the costs of getting it road legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS650E
    Thanks to some sweet luck, this bike owes me buggar all hence why I'm weighing my options here. I'm picking that to buy the equivalent with low km's in the same nick will have me coughing upwards of $3000 in NZ??....Any ideas on the cost of getting the bike road legal in NZ?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS650E
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yeup, what he said as well. I'm not sure how much you value the bike, not sure what it's worth here either.

Unless it's really customised or one off etc, then I doubt a 1982 is going to be worth more than shipping, ie, you'd have more money if you bought something here, plus plenty of motorcycles available depending on what you want.

It cost NZD$3000 to return ship my motorcycle Wellington > Los Angeles > Auckland. Your shipping would be one way, but you'd have the costs of getting it road legal.
    Who did you ship with?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I shipped with Mainfreight (big Kiwi company) and their USA subsidiary Kiwi Shipping. It was part of a larger group of bikes touring (just FYI).

NZTA is our national transport agency, here's their page on importing a vehicle, should give you a starting point: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Just sent my Buell up to Longbeach with Mainfreight, cost have skyrocketed.....

nz$2900 ONE WAY!

Return will maybe be 2k? Last time I send a bike overseas. Actual freight component = nz$555, rest is various charges where everyone and his motherinlaw clips the bloody ticket.
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I don't know if this is going to be relevant to your experience, but my last assignment in South Africa, I bought a V Rod to ride while I was there - and then literally within a week the government changed the regulations and stopped people with foreign passports from owning and riding vehicles in South Africa. I had no choice but to bring it back to New Zealand. The process was expensive, time-consuming, frustrating and ultimately more expensive than if I had been able to sell the bike in South Africa and buy a similar one here.

That said, because the government had changed the rules in South Africa, the value of the bike had dropped more or less 30% overnight. It cost me 20% of the bike's value to ship it here and get it certified here for on-road use. Had it not been for that drop in value, I would have sold it which would have been financially the smart thing to do; that said, we all have some emotional investment in the bikes we've owned so maybe you'll still want to bring it with you? Good luck.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Idd say sell and buy this. Looks great.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-848239222.htm
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    If you piggy bank the cost of getting the bike here and on the road + what you would get if you sell it in Canada, then I reckon you will have a lot of choices for bikes here with the cash.
    Just sayin..
    I get the attachment, I have a bike in the shed that will probably be buried with me.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS650E
    Well, after a few quotes here and there, here we have it. To ship my motorcycle door to door and including on road costs-$6044 NZD. It looks like my bike will be staying in Canada. Shipping came to $3069NZD that included transportation from inland (Edmonton) to Vancouver, crating and shipping to Auckland. The NZ costs to get my bike road legal are pretty intense. Here in Alberta to go through the same process is $50 CAD for 12 months, you need to add an additional $195 for an inspection if your bike is out of province. I am a kiwi living over here and have noticed a huge difference in attitude towards motorcyclists. The culture is just part of the social fabric here from the costs to other motorists attitudes out on the road. Thanks for all you input guys, it's been a worthwhile exercise.

Bike
    It was on the good
    And don't forget the $$$$ to convert it to right hand drive.

Bike
    Gone
    Are you bringing other stuff too? Clothes, electronics furniture etc? Have you looked into getting a 1/3 or 1/4 container? You still have to worry about compliance if you intend to use it on NZ roads.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS650E
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Are you bringing other stuff too? Clothes, electronics furniture etc? Have you looked into getting a 1/3 or 1/4 container? You still have to worry about compliance if you intend to use it on NZ roads.
    For sure we'll have household items to bring with. Doesn't the motorcycle need to be in its own crate though?

Thread Information