Thread: Bike recommendation for shorter rider?

Bike
    84 GSX-R 400, ...Now Sold , Bikeless now

Bike recommendation for shorter rider?

Hi all. I'm along time member that hasn't had a bike in over ten years and only really ridden my old mans Ducati monster a km in last 5 years. Was just like riding a bike so to speak. I'm confident I can jump back into it and cope . I'm keen to get a bike again.
    And think id like to get a adv bike as I live rural and will either be on the open rd or on gravel rds.
    I'm thinking a 500-650 would do me. But I'm of shorter stature at about 170cm and only weigh in at 75 even with a beer diet. What budget options do you think are best for a smaller bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    You are about the same hight/weight as me...
    I ride a Yamaha XT660R with 25mm lowering link..
    Suzuki DR650 or Kawaski KLR650 will be ok...
    BMW 650 has about the lowest seat height standard..

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Honda n Heels for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike-branded-high-heels-look-very-sexy-photo-gallery_17.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	313680  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Cheer pete. What's the xt like on the highway. I've got a few higher mileage bmws on my watchlist. Obviously a popular choice . I'm a bit limited on budget so beggars can't be fussy with eh. But if I don't get a bike now I will never..

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    KLE500
    Is height even an issue? I'm 3cm taller than you, my old bike I could only reach the ground with one foot at a time, just lean the bike over to whatever side you want.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    F650 BMW (single cylinder) & the DR650 Suzuki would be 2 of the lower 650ish machines. F650 heavier & more road focused, DR lighter & easier to handle offroad. Don't get too hung up on seat height specs though, go & sit on some stuff - the width of the bike also has a big effect on how easy it is to get a foot down.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I think the 650 BMW is called a G650 The F650 actually has a 800cc motor....
    That would depend upon which year of F650 you are talking, originally the F650 was exactly that, a 650. First with a normal Carb, then injected and still a 650 in 2000, then a year or two later BMW kind of lost it with naming things where what you said becomes correct.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2013, Suzuki DL650
    I'm 167 with proportionately short legs so feel your pain.

I have a v strom 650 with the lower seat and its great.

Seat height doesn't matter a damn when your riding, but the two times I've dropped it is at 0 speed on angled driveways. By the time my foot could reach the ground there was a whole heap of weight already with some momentum (with the weight fairly high up) so it was just a case of making sure none of it landed on me.

I was looking at a BMW F700 (maybe, as noted their naming is weird) and it comes with a lower seat option as a standard option, but they didn't have any in while I was looking. Also wanted to try the Triumph Tiger 800 (not the XC as it's taller), but again they didn't have any in.

That said my Wee Strom does me proud and I don't regret the purchase at all!

Gavin

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinB View Post
    I'm 167
    ....and still riding?

Bike
    Thanks guys . Been doing a lot of research on the BMW . Sounds like the early injected one is a bit dodgy but before and after that . They are good.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I think the 650 BMW is called a G650 .
    Given the OP is looking at budget options I think we can safely assume the G650 is not in the ballpark

Quote Originally Posted by maddog007 View Post
    Thanks guys . Been doing a lot of research on the BMW . Sounds like the early injected one is a bit dodgy but before and after that . They are good.
    The motors on the BMW's are pretty good but like many injected things expect the fuel pump to crap out at some point. I rode an early injected one ages ago & it had an annoying delay from opening the throttle to getting any response, that issue was fixed at some point but definitely get a test ride before buying.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinB View Post
    I'm 167 with proportionately short legs so feel your pain.

I have a v strom 650 with the lower seat and its great.

Seat height doesn't matter a damn when your riding, but the two times I've dropped it is at 0 speed on angled driveways. By the time my foot could reach the ground there was a whole heap of weight already with some momentum (with the weight fairly high up) so it was just a case of making sure none of it landed on me.

I was looking at a BMW F700 (maybe, as noted their naming is weird) and it comes with a lower seat option as a standard option, but they didn't have any in while I was looking. Also wanted to try the Triumph Tiger 800 (not the XC as it's taller), but again they didn't have any in.

That said my Wee Strom does me proud and I don't regret the purchase at all!

Gavin
    Haha. I’m 167 myself. I ride a full height DR650 without too many problems. I’ve riden most bikes from litre sports bikes to MX without too much drama.

The only issue I have is real slow stuff, like river crossings. I hate river crossings.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Haha. I’m 167 myself. I ride a full height DR650 without too many problems. I’ve riden most bikes from litre sports bikes to MX without too much drama.

The only issue I have is real slow stuff, like river crossings. I hate river crossings.
    I'm a bit taller than Bart but hate river crossing even worserer than him....a drowned 250 2T Trials bike is no laughing matter
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    I have read about what you mean Clint . Think it was a problem on the 2001 gs that was the model with trouble. Apparently sorted later. Though I'm kind of old school an might be more interested in the carb f650 model. Should be cheaper too.. And some fans like them more than the injected ones. Though most are high mileage now. But that's what you get if wanting something cheaper. There's an old 94 finduro on TM that has done plenty. Been advertised for a while.

Thread Information