Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yank touring NZ in Feb 2016 hopefully

Bike
    R1200GSA
    If you are looking to cover the North Island I would suggest taking SH43 from Stratford to Taumaranui when visiting New Plymouth. From Taumaranui take SH4 to Whanganui. Much more interesting.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The 1st map of the south island looks pretty good, except for the part from geraldine to christchurch, that road is about as boring as it gets. Much better and only slightly longer to continue on the inland scenic route 72 after geraldine and back to christchurch through darfield.

Not a lot in the way of serious motorcycle museums in christchurch, lots of tourists coming here now to have a wander about town and see the progress (or lack of it) 5 years after the earthquakes started.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki
    Ok Tazz you're the second one to recommend it so backtrack it is. Will try Monteiths first chance I get. Not much of a pub guy but like micros. Hopefully some of them have darks like my usual Newcastle or Guinness.
    Map has been revised.
    neels, map revised for the Geraldine-on part. Included Akaroa which looks interesting, worth the ride? Also Bluff worth the backtrack?
    Ulsterkiwi - sorry to say don't get your post, I maybe missing something. Sounds like you're saying come down the coast to Stratford, go back up 43 to Taumaranui then back down to Whanganui. Why not down to Taumaranui and on to Whanganui?

Since I think Taupo looks worth a go have revised north island map too. Better going around the top or bottom? Got part of your route in Ulsterkiwi. Feel free to correct my understanding of your suggestion.

Think it would be better to move this to regular forum or keep here in the newbies section?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ map south island 1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	315145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ map north island south part 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	315146

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    If you want to move it out of newbies section, then best place is probably here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/fo...Visitors-in-NZ

Your maps look good. There are some great rides to be had in the North Island also, some of which you have missed out, but you aren't going to get everything in during such a short trip. When I looked at what you are missing, I couldn't work out what you would sacrifice to fit them in.

I hope you have a great trip. Maybe we can catch up for a ride when you get here. I'm near Rotorua.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Those routes will have you smiling all the way buddy..and a sore arse from so many miles but I guess coming from USA you will find our little country a walk in the park in terms of distances.

On that subject there are some worthwhile dead end routes, well worth having to back track out of. I'm talking the South Island here, in my personal order of enjoyment; Te Anau to Milford Sound which you already have lined up. Christchurch to Akaroa, just a 45/60 minute sprint each way. tasty fish n chips at Akaroa (well way back when I rode it in the 70s); Westport to Karamea (90 odd minutes+ each way and compulsory night stay at Karmea Hotel). If you still have energy and time on your hands then also; Takaha to Farewell Spit; Haast to Jackson Bay.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by kuri77 View Post
    neels, map revised for the Geraldine-on part. Included Akaroa which looks interesting, worth the ride?
    As MD has said, Akaroa is definitely worth the detour, about the most popular motorcycling road near Christchurch and fondly referred to as the Akaroa GP.

One more suggestion, if the weather is good on the west coast (which can't be assumed at any time of the year) then following the Buller river down to Westport and taking the coast road to Greymouth is worth the extra distance, the fun factor and scenery is much better than the inland road.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    As MD has said, Akaroa is definitely worth the detour, about the most popular motorcycling road near Christchurch and fondly referred to as the Akaroa GP.

One more suggestion, if the weather is good on the west coast (which can't be assumed at any time of the year) then following the Buller river down to Westport and taking the coast road to Greymouth is worth the extra distance, the fun factor and scenery is much better than the inland road.
    Thanks neels but got that covered in new map in the new thread. I'm posting in general bike stuff now, in the "coming or going or visitors in NZ" thread.

Bike
    Don't bother with Akaroa if there is a large ship, or two, in port on the day you want to go. You won't enjoy the town unless you're good at elbowing people out of the way to get anywhere.
    Head to Okains or Le Bons Bay instead. If you're OK with gravel you can even do a cool wee loop into Port Levy and back to Christchurch via Diamond Harbour/Governors Bay and then Lyttelton or the Sign of the Kiwi. You can go from one of the bays (Pigeon I think) or from Little River if you want to do the Hilltop Rd twice.

Bike
    2009 KLR 650 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Don't bother with Akaroa if there is a large ship, or two, in port on the day you want to go. You won't enjoy the town unless you're good at elbowing people out of the way to get anywhere.
    Head to Okains or Le Bons Bay instead. If you're OK with gravel you can even do a cool wee loop into Port Levy and back to Christchurch via Diamond Harbour/Governors Bay and then Lyttelton or the Sign of the Kiwi. You can go from one of the bays (Pigeon I think) or from Little River if you want to do the Hilltop Rd twice.
    Excellent advice Tazz. Will check before heading out there. If i get the Suzuki V-strom then graded gravel should be okay. Thanks for the routes heads-up.

Thread Information