Thread: Anyone shipped a bike to and from Germany?

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

Anyone shipped a bike to and from Germany?

I'm thinking it will be cheaper to ship my own bike to Germany for a month long tour of several of the EU countries.

I'm an absolute noob when it comes to overseas touring so anything I should pay special attention to?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Investigate insurance as I believe it's hard to sort when it isn't a local bike. 3rd party should be relatively easy, but full insurance could be close to impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    DR650 / GSFX750R Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post
    I'm thinking it will be cheaper to ship my own bike to Germany for a month long tour of several of the EU countries.

I'm an absolute noob when it comes to overseas touring so anything I should pay special attention to?
    About driving EU: Allot of countries use tolroads, so a creditcard is handy. Also make sure u buy a vignet in Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Hungary. Which is a sticker allowing you to drive on the roads Fines are pretty high in Switzerland and Austria, don't drive without it (and try not to speed ). In France you MUST have a reflecting jacket on & have an alcoholtester on you (no joke ). What time are you coming? I'll try to find out all those rules for you, getting a ticket for not having something on you is a waste of money.

With insurance/importing a bike/getting it road legal I can't help you, from Holland myself. Although it's next to us, the rules are very different on bikes

What are the plans? Alps I presume?

Thread Information