Thread: 89 xr250 reassembly help- clutch release bearing etc

Bike
    89 Kx250

89 xr250 reassembly help- clutch release bearing etc

I'm finishing off my xr250, bought it not running and found upon other things it had bent valves etc. Over time I've renewed everything in the mtor to freshen it up. I'm at the stage of fitting the clutch and seem to be having trouble getting the release bearing, large spring and seat in the correct place. I didn't take notice when stripping it over a year ago, have a workshop manual and spare engine but these are both no help. The clutch pressure plate etc is on, it has a square plate with 4 holes for the bolts and springs underneath (this isn't the issue). I can't work out where the spring and release bearing go. I've tried several ways round with componenets and every time I fit the outer cover it doesn't go all the way down flush with the case without fouling. Like some part is holding the cover up.
    This doesn't have the normal pressure plate that bolts on from the front that covers the whole plates etc. This one looks to use the bolts and plate to hold the cutch components off the clutch basket. The manual isn't helping me at all as it keeps showing pictures of the xr400 which is different. Please help I was hoping to get the engine in the frame today. (engine is still on the workbench

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    I'm finishing off my xr250, bought it not running and found upon other things it had bent valves etc. Over time I've renewed everything in the mtor to freshen it up. I'm at the stage of fitting the clutch and seem to be having trouble getting the release bearing, large spring and seat in the correct place. I didn't take notice when stripping it over a year ago, have a workshop manual and spare engine but these are both no help. The clutch pressure plate etc is on, it has a square plate with 4 holes for the bolts and springs underneath (this isn't the issue). I can't work out where the spring and release bearing go. I've tried several ways round with componenets and every time I fit the outer cover it doesn't go all the way down flush with the case without fouling. Like some part is holding the cover up.
    This doesn't have the normal pressure plate that bolts on from the front that covers the whole plates etc. This one looks to use the bolts and plate to hold the cutch components off the clutch basket. The manual isn't helping me at all as it keeps showing pictures of the xr400 which is different. Please help I was hoping to get the engine in the frame today. (engine is still on the workbench
    I can't picture the model but make sure you have the clutcharm pivot positioned so it is not extending the pushrod. Also made sure you have actually got the inner clutch hub actually positioned right.
    to me it sounds like you are trying to do up the clutch cover with the clutch arm positioned so it is extending rather than seated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch arm.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	314581  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Ok... I have not been inside one of these...
    but going by other bikes that use the same system..
    the pull rod on the clutch pressure plate should have a rack
    in it.... "Teeth".. these have to in the right postion so they
    aline with the gear on the end of the clutch arm shaft in the case..
    The clutch arm has to be in the right place so when
    the case is put on the arm rotates as it ingauges with the gear
    and moves into the right postion...
    it may take a couple trys putting the case to get the clutch arm in
    the correct postion...

i have the feeling your prob is that the pull rod is not ingageing with
    the gear & not letting the case go on ....

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    89 Kx250
    This year XR250 doesn't have the teeth setup. has the actuator that sits on the case. With the help of a local guy that wrecks/se;;s a few Xr250's it sounds like the spring and the cup washer with it (30mm diameter) is for the kickstart, this sits between the circlip holding the kick start together and the decompression valve actuator arm. The release bearing I had though was sitting where I had it.
    I believe the reason for the case not going on is a combination of the clutch release bearing sitting in the right place and one of the dowels that goes into the oilpump and an o-ring sits on it. You could see burring where the dowel had been hitting. I've fitted it into the case after cleaning it up. Now all I need to do is dummy assemble, test then assemble properly with a new gasket then finish it off.

Thread Information