Thread: Son touring South Island Nov-Dec 2015

Bike
    1994 MotoGuzzi California 111 LAPD

Son touring South Island Nov-Dec 2015

Hi, all,
    My 25 year old son is coming out from UK to have Christmas with us - but he also wants to do a tour of the south island by motorcycle.
    So I am looking for a bike for him to buy/borrow - he's 1.85m / 95 kg, so it probably needs to be 500cc or bigger, somewhere between $3 - 5000, preferably wof / rego thru' to Feb 2016 and reliable enough for 4/5 weeks travel
    He's been riding an SV650 for a couple of years, so a big sports bike is not high on the list, but a cruiser could be.

If anyone could help, please pm me

Thanks,
    Don

Bike
    ES XTZ

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Finding bike to buy wouldn't be hard but selling it before leaving is not so easy if wanting to recover most the money back.
    Would require setting a low reserve auction and hoping it gets competitive.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    DR650 / GSFX750R Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Finding bike to buy would be hard but selling it before leaving is not so easy if wanting to recover most the money back.
    Would require setting a low reserve auction and hoping it gets competitive.
    The way I read is, Don lives in NZ and his son is visiting. So he doesn't need to have the bike sold on the day before departure. Very convenient, having parents in the country you wanna visit

With a bit of luck I'll be driving around NZ as well in about the same timeframe, if he's up for it and if we are in the same area at the same time we could drive some roads together

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
    The way I read is, Don lives in NZ and his son is visiting. So he doesn't need to have the bike sold on the day before departure. Very convenient, having parents in the country you wanna visit

With a bit of luck I'll be driving around NZ as well in about the same timeframe, if he's up for it and if we are in the same area at the same time we could drive some roads together
    Just read it again. Im not sharp just after the sparrow has farted.

Wonder if Borrow is rent/hire because I am finding it hard to think that's the same as lend a bike.
    Not sure many would lend a stranger their bike.
    Assume Don is also going on this tour with him or he could lend out his Motoguzzi as it would be suitable.

If quick sale isn't an issue then buy wise trademe and resell shouldn't lose much or anything as long as no issues during the trip.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike

South Island Tour

Well, the time is getting closer, and his ideas a getting clearer.
    He is prepared to spend $8k - $10k for a suitable bike (which I will then sell for him when he returns to the UK)
    He quite fancies an "Adventure" bike and has had me look at a couple of KTM 990's, so if anyone has that style of bike for sale in the Waikato at that sort of price, please drop me a pm.
    Looking for something with up to date service history, (not necessarily "dealer") rack / panniers, and tyres with plenty of life left.
    and for some reason, he likes the "orange" ones!!
    He arrives on 06 November, so we would be looking to buy on the weekend 07/08 November.

Any help much appreciated.

Bike
    Well, he has been, done and gone - reckons he had an awesome ride, did nearly 8000kms, and only complained about the rain twice!

Now I have to move the bike on - 2010 KTM 990 SM-T, 50,000kms, hand guards, heated grips, Scottoiler, KTM tank bag, spare standard silencers, rear shock lowering kit (20mm), tyres about halfway.

Asking $11,000

Phone 0226459390
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160105_Front_Left_2 - Copy.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	318747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	160105_Front_Right_1 - Copy.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	318748  

Bike
    2007 Yamaha FJR / 2008 Yamaha TDM 900
    Spoke to your son back in November just South of Blenheim at a road closure due to an accident on the Dashwood, nice guy and awesome bike! ! Glad he had an enjoyable trip and am sure you won't have any problem selling the bike, good luck.
    Chappie

Bike
    FZS600
    Hiya,

I'm basically in the same situation as your son(from england) and want to do the exact same! i however don't have the pleasure of my parents living in NZ. I'm interested in buying your bike, its slightly more than i was wanting to pay but would you maybe consider buying the bike back off me once i have finished, obviously for a reduced price, i would give you all the money agreed before taking the bike? long shot ..... i know but gotta love a try-er!

Bike
    Hi, Jamie,
    I'd like to be able to help, but I don't think that it's practical. It's my son's bike, and he now needs the funds reasonably smartly to pay for the KTM he has just bought in England!
    Hope you manage to do what you want, as NZ is a great place to travel round on a motorcycle.
    Don

Thread Information