Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted about what bike to buy

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waikato Matt View Post
    Yes, just very short rides mate to local farm and trails..... I'm lucky I live so close to a few rides.

I have heard of farm rego, don't no anything about it, will google to see......
    Personally I cant understand if your after a farm ride and trail ride bike why 120-130kg is heavy. I big 4stroker will pull you places that a 2 smoke would need be ridden with full commitment to go. People race this weight bike in preference to a lighter 2 smoke.
    I think you need ride one of these bikes to judge the weight rather than sit in a shop on one. Most can be lowered a little if you want the weight down a bit also.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    wanting to buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Personally I cant understand if your after a farm ride and trail ride bike why 120-130kg is heavy. I big 4stroker will pull you places that a 2 smoke would need be ridden with full commitment to go. People race this weight bike in preference to a lighter 2 smoke.
    I think you need ride one of these bikes to judge the weight rather than sit in a shop on one. Most can be lowered a little if you want the weight down a bit also.
    TBH I have gotten it in my head that the 4 strokes require to much maintenance, that and the fact I like the feel of the weight of a 2 stroke. But you are right, sitting on one, to riding on, is totally different.
    The problem is, every single shop I have gone into, has no demo bikes in my price range. I have not found one shop, that has anything I can afford, to test ride.

Bike
    The problem is, every single shop I have gone into, has no demo bikes in my price range. I have not found one shop, that has anything I can afford, to test ride.
    Any similar-ish used bikes at the same shop available? If you're about to drop $10k on a new one they might be willing to bungie a dealer plate on and let you go for a ride. Not very legal but I've seen it done.

Bike
    wanting to buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    Any similar-ish used bikes at the same shop available? If you're about to drop $10k on a new one they might be willing to bungie a dealer plate on and let you go for a ride. Not very legal but I've seen it done.
    Yeah I have asked, but no luck so far, bloody frustrating let me tell ya. I have to say, the Kawasaki KXL450r today, did feel nice to sit on, the seat wasn't to hard, I felt I could sit on it, and my feet could touch the ground, but again, no test ride, no demo, and I had to drive over to Matamata to view that one.

Sometimes when you ask questions, you can end up even more confused...... A friend of a friend told me tonight he wouldn't go near Gas Gas for any amount of money, he rides motorcross, and says the Gassrs are......well you no.

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Sometimes when you ask questions, you can end up even more confused......:
    Aint that the truth.....all the opinions doesn't change the fact that its YOU that still has to make the decision.

Bike
    wanting to buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by puddytat View Post
    Aint that the truth.....all the opinions doesn't change the fact that its YOU that still has to make the decision.
    TBH I have saved for this for some time now, but it's starting to do my head in. How in the hell dealers expect to sell bikes that are very expensive, yet not one dealer i have been to, can offer a test ride.....is well, beyond me.

The other think that got me today was, one shop, has pics of bikes for sale, I drive over there, walk in the shop, only to find they don't have them in stock on the floor.......you have to order it !!!! WTF, are you kidding me ??? True story.

Bike
    Sometimes when you ask questions, you can end up even more confused...... A friend of a friend told me tonight he wouldn't go near Gas Gas for any amount of money, he rides motorcross, and says the Gassrs are......well you no.
    F5 Dave is an active member here who owns and I've seen talk about Gas Gas. Probably worth pointing him towards this thread.

Bike
    wanting to buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    F5 Dave is an active member here who owns and I've seen talk about Gas Gas. Probably worth pointing him towards this thread.
    That would be great, as I like the look of them, I can afford them, but have heard conflicting stories about them, so any help on the brand, from someone who owns one, would be perfect. Just tried to send him a PM, but I don't have that privilege being a new member as yet....

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    TBH I have saved for this for some time now, but it's starting to do my head in. How in the hell dealers expect to sell bikes that are very expensive, yet not one dealer i have been to, can offer a test ride.....is well, beyond me.

The other think that got me today was, one shop, has pics of bikes for sale, I drive over there, walk in the shop, only to find they don't have them in stock on the floor.......you have to order it !!!! WTF, are you kidding me ??? True story.
    Well that's our rockstar economy for ya eh....progress is a bitch. It'd certainly help businesses, if they didn't have to pay a stupid fucking provisional tax.
    What ever you get your going to love....for a while.
    And then you can get another when you sick of it & have thrashed the shit out of it & the scratches wont buff out.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    That would be great, as I like the look of them, I can afford them, but have heard conflicting stories about them, so any help on the brand, from someone who owns one, would be perfect. Just tried to send him a PM, but I don't have that privilege being a new member as yet....
    I bought a GG Randonne from the Trademe out fit, Premier Motorcycles I think in Tauranga. Ok, different league of bike but they were great to deal with. I did the whole deal over the phone and am happy. Give them a tinkle.

The bike...... I love it! A combination of good design and cost effectiveness. Another way to say it, would be built down to a price but well thought through. Typical Euro and is brilliant fun.

I have read that there are a plenty of spares available for the foreseeable future. A question to ask the dealer..

If you can get a test ride on a big 4t that you don't want to buy, bluff it. At least you get the experience, I don't think they are that different across the range.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Just tried to send him a PM, but I don't have that privilege being a new member as yet....
    I've sent him a link to this thread.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-941937757.htm

There is your test ride and likely you could take it away for 8k afterwards.
    There is your test ride and likely you will take it away for 8k afterwards.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I think you are thinking MX bikes. And besides youre enormous.

Matt, I've had GG200 then a 300. They are getting on as my 300 is an 07.
    They make great trail bikes. A bunch of us have had them and they've been great. I liked the 200 I rode as it was light and fun so I bought one and had a few good years on it. But a mate got the 300 and it was the same but with grunt. Great for getting up hills.
    Same mate bought a new WR450 and likes it in the wide open, also got a rekluse for it. But he has kept the GG and always chooses it for difficult or muddy rides.

I don't lose any sleep over the factory having issues. Heck Ducati went to the wall about 6 times since the 80s. Parts are easy to get, consumables like filters and pads are same as CR250.

Your mate who sez they are shit is entitled to his opinion. But the same sort of person will favour Holdens over Fords with a passion even though they are both taxis from the same mould. People form opinions over stuff they know nothing about.

Anyone who sez 2 strokes are peaky is clearly of the ilk that has only ridden something small and assumed they are all like that. Pub experts.

Oh yeah ktms are shit I rode a doggy one once, and I hear water is bad for you and tastes terrible.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by gwynfryn View Post
    They are road registerable(is this a word) because of the Australian ADR rules where they must be registered to ride off road in most states. We get Aussy market bikes.

Its dumb because these bikes are designed to be raced hard off road with no compromises to street riding. They are high maintenance with short rebuild intervals. There is no cush drive, and they have off road ratios. Even DOT tires will wear fast on the road. The 4 strokes have very tight engine tolerances and don't carry much oil. They vibrate like anything on the road and the seats are not sofas. Mind you you will be stopping every 80km to fuel up.
    With the 2 strokes(mx and enduro) they don't like constant throttle openings for any length of time, you really need to ride out of the power band on the road, hard to do unless you gear it to the moon.
    Why clock up hours on the road?

I've tried having one bike in the past and it was an utter failure. I had to change sprockets and tyres and strip off indicators, chain guard , number plate to use off road and the xr400 was arguably more durable engine wise than todays enduro bikes.

My current Husqvarna 2 str came with all the ADR gear but I would never consider using it on the road.

The only bike that offers some off road ability that I would consider using(a little) on the road is a Yamaha wr250.

Get 2 bikes or one and a trailer.

Good luck

you are wrong about the KLX450 and CRFX , we do not get the aussie models, and they are not registered with LTNZ when they come in, they are almost impossible to register here,

Bike
    wanting to buy one
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I think you are thinking MX bikes. And besides youre enormous.

Matt, I've had GG200 then a 300. They are getting on as my 300 is an 07.
    They make great trail bikes. A bunch of us have had them and they've been great. I liked the 200 I rode as it was light and fun so I bought one and had a few good years on it. But a mate got the 300 and it was the same but with grunt. Great for getting up hills.
    Same mate bought a new WR450 and likes it in the wide open, also got a rekluse for it. But he has kept the GG and always chooses it for difficult or muddy rides.

I don't lose any sleep over the factory having issues. Heck Ducati went to the wall about 6 times since the 80s. Parts are easy to get, consumables like filters and pads are same as CR250.

Your mate who sez they are shit is entitled to his opinion. But the same sort of person will favour Holdens over Fords with a passion even though they are both taxis from the same mould. People form opinions over stuff they know nothing about.

Anyone who sez 2 strokes are peaky is clearly of the ilk that has only ridden something small and assumed they are all like that. Pub experts.

Oh yeah ktms are shit I rode a doggy one once, and I hear water is bad for you and tastes terrible.
    Thank you mate for that. I was heading over Saturday to Hamilton to a Gas Gas dealer. Have spoken to him, and he is very very easy to deal with, lovely guy. However his shop is not open in the weekends........Dam no one is making this easy for me LOL.

Thread Information