Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are helmet cams legal in NZ?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S

Are helmet cams legal in NZ?

Read an article on line which was saying that cops in Australia were ticketing bikers with helmet cams. Here is the link

http://motorbikewriter.com/police-cr...n-helmet-cams/

Are helmet cams breaking any laws in N.Z.?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    only the law of not being a fucken douche.

Anyone is entitled to film in a public place. By legislation.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Nope and its a state by state thing in Aus, it seems the Victoria and NSW police have a hard on for things clamped to helmets (including some say bluetooth devices) They probably do not have any actual crime or risk to the public to worry about in those states which is why they have been busy prosecuting people. QLD, SA and WA all seem to be ok with it.

Again its an object lesson in how things are not nearly as bad in NZ as some would like us to believe.

Funnily enough I was watching "The Force" last night, a bike cop pulled over a fella riding a CBR600 on his learners licence, $1100AUD fines and lost his licence for 6 months or something. (fines not just for riding non-approved bike) Anyhoo, the interesting thing was the two GoPro mounts on the helmet of said law enforcement officer. The footage was shot in Sydney.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    So old you won't care
    It could be a reaction to the Schumacher incident... Certainly my new MTB helmet has a breakaway mount. Interestingly - not a light mount that I actually wanted so... We printed one here at work on a 3D printer... I was pretty blown away... Damn things are actually useful...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    It could be a reaction to the Schumacher incident...
    No, it's just that Australia is a police state. The Schumacher incident will influence me though, if I get a camera I'll mount it on the bike.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Legal.

Don't turn into a dick that goes looking for 'bad drivers' to film and has a crack at some sad ass vigilante shit though please. There are already enough of those around.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    No, it's just that Australia is a police state. The Schumacher incident will influence me though, if I get a camera I'll mount it on the bike.
    Isn't that jazz just media speculation? Or have they actually come out with some facts now?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Legal.

Don't turn into a dick that goes looking for 'bad drivers' to film and has a crack as some sad ass vigilante shit though please. There are already enough of those around.
    But I want to be famous on Youtube and show the world how awesome I am catching bad guys in action.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...ught-on-camera

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Isn't that jazz just media speculation? Or have they actually come out with some facts now?
    I thought it was medical. Wherever it came from it seemed to make sense; sticking a hard object on the outside of a helmet just doesn't seem like a good idea. Having said that, one of my helmets has a small battery pack low on the back for a radar detector hud. The various Australian wouldn't like that either.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    But I want to be famous on Youtube and show the world how awesome I am catching bad guys in action.
    It is true that Youtube celebrit-ism = instant hit with the laaaaaadiessssss. History proves it:

On the other hand, some people are content to know they are cool because mum said so.

I thought it was medical. Wherever it came from it seemed to make sense; sticking a hard object on the outside of a helmet just doesn't seem like a good idea. Having said that, one of my helmets has a small battery pack low on the back for a radar detector hud. The various Australian wouldn't like that either.
    Will have to look it up out of interest as I rock one on the odd frolic out the back paddock, but it is less securely mounted than my visor/peak (you know the MX style thingos) which is certainly a bigger and more securely mounted item that has been crash tested with the helmet.
    I don't know about skiing but with bike ones nothing is drilled, it's all just double sided tape or velcro which the wind can remove let alone sliding down around Pak n Save car parks.

Edit: Just had a look pritch. No mention of cameras in any recent articles and the ones from 2014 that mention it say it is 'speculated' or 'under investigation', which are really great words for journalists to use when they really have no fucking idea what is going on, but need to up their word count so they get paid more for the article

Bike
    Article is from November last year.

Anyone heard anything more recent?

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    There was a Facebook post a week or two back from the group challenging the law in Victoria.
    From memory it's not the issue of having a camera on your helmet but as soon as you attach anything to your helmet it voids the Australian/NZ standard for the helmet and the fine the police are handing out are for using a non approved helmet.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki SV1000S
    I want a helmet mounted camera principally for insurance purposes. Having fallen foul of a car driver that thought it would be a cunning plan to turn right on a double laned roundabout using the left lane without indicating and subsequently depositing me on the tarmac. This was swiftly followed by I didn't see you mate and then the ambulance crew saying "You young fellows on motorbikes cause no end of problems for us."

In these circumstances, video evidence is mighty useful in proving who was driving like a dick.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Legal.

Don't turn into a dick that goes looking for 'bad drivers' to film and has a crack as some sad ass vigilante shit though please. There are already enough of those around.

There's a couple riders down here that do that, the footage is cringe worthy.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    No, it's just that Australia is a police state.
    Damn tootin' right!

Should I take a mental free turn one day and decide to move there I'd have to ditch most of my wheels and guns.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Largs Saint View Post
    I want a helmet mounted camera principally for insurance purposes.
    So .... the Police report will not be enough ... ???

If you think you need a camera ... bolt it to the bike ... not your head.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information