Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: ACC proposals on motorcycle levies

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The whole ACC debate is near on a waste of time, for unless enough bikers stand together and protest as one (now there's a Tui ad), nothing will change.
    We certainly won't get change without the debate.

Debate is never a waste of time. It's not necessarily about affecting change. It's about thrashing out ideas and perhaps maximizing the number of people considering those ideas.

I do agree though that we do, at times, seem to be going around in circles with this particular debate.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    We certainly won't get change without the debate.

Debate is never a waste of time. It's not necessarily about affecting change. It's about thrashing out ideas and perhaps maximizing the number of people considering those ideas.

I do agree though that we do, at times, seem to be going around in circles with this particular debate.
    The group of motorcyclists, and by that I mean the group who is largely law-abiding, actually has a licence, registers and warrants their bike...is relatively small.

Yes debate can distill ideas down, yet for the moment I do see officialdom winning by virtue of the 'divide and conquer' routine. Overall I don't have an issue with the running costs of my bike, far cheaper to own a bike in this country than my home country for starters. Mind you, would be nice to see the playing field levelled, by having all bikers licensed, registered, warranted etc.

And yeah the ACC component being varied according to vehicle type or subtype is not exactly how I'd perceived the ACC no fault scheme to work.

Bike
    Mine
    The group of motorcyclists, and by that I mean the group who is largely law-abiding, actually has a licence, registers and warrants their bike...is relatively small.
    Agreed. I actually think we were better of a few decades ago when this group was even smaller - small enough to fly under the radar of public view.

Yes debate can distill ideas down, yet for the moment I do see officialdom winning by virtue of the 'divide and conquer' routine.
    Indeed, for the moment. Having the ideas out there means that when the time is right...

Overall I don't have an issue with the running costs of my bike, far cheaper to own a bike in this country than my home country for starters. Mind you, would be nice to see the playing field levelled, by having all bikers licensed, registered, warranted etc.
    Agreed. What really irks me is the discrimination.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I'm a bit embarrassed by my post a couple of days back.

Debate is important. I agree with debate.

What I don't agree with is when the debates turn into a personal slang in match. Just cos we disagree doesn't give us the right to slag others off on their personal beliefs.

So bring it on y'all.

Just fir the record, I is no longer a Popo, but donuts still rock

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

What I don't agree with is when the debates turn into a personal slang in match. Just cos we disagree doesn't give us the right to slag others off on their personal beliefs.

So bring it on y'all.

I thought that was out of character.

Totally agree re the slanging match. My ignore list seems to be growing of late.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

So bring it on y'all.

Must be the donut withdrawal symptoms showing thru...I've heard it said this process can take years

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Sweet, I'm under 40 - wheres my ACC rebate?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2006 Kawasaki ER-6n, 2009 CT110, NBC110
    I put my bike down on the way to work this morning. Couple of small scrapes and bruises. So should I go to the hospital, fill out the ACC forms and leave with the prescribed sticking plaster? This would at least bring down the average cost per claim of a motorcycle accident, which was taken into consideration when the levies were set...

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    I take your point, but I don't think that the ACC people look at the micro environment.

I think they're all about the "big picture", which is that motorcyclists are an unsympathetic group in terms of the wider population, and we are therefore extremely easy to malign and tax without any negative blowback or PR.

And I think they're right in those assumptions.

The fact that rugby players, quad bike riders, pedestrians, human power of cyclists and marathon runners and so forth get to do themselves serious damage on a daily basis and get their problems uncomplainingly paid for by the rest of the population without any PR downside, I think, simply validates this point.

Personally, I just keep paying the ACC levy all my bikes and therefore feel fully justified to grump about the subsidized rabble.

Thread Information