Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Speeding tickets and 3 at once

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    B...no honour in bending over and paying tickets
    So you fight charges you're guilty of?
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    That used to be the case years ago. A change going back a long way means that points go on your licence when you either pay the fine or get convicted, but with an effective date of the day you were caught.

Back in the early days of demerits you could manipulate the system, which is why they changed it.
    I think it still works. If you sit at close to 100 but the oldest is about to drop off, the latest will not be added to the equation before you pay/get convicted. So if you delay that from happening until after the old ones are dropped you are still under 100. Yes there will be a period when you would have had over 100, but as it is now in the past it wont affect you in the now.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    2015 KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Unbelievable attitude Newbie.!
    Sums you up quite nicely...
    Ahhhh.. Lighten up man, I come in peace! I actually thought you where taking the piss.... I'm no serial speeder, in fact I can never keep up with the rest of the guys when we go out for a spin!! Tail end charlie, not through choice lol

I would have taken the ticket on the chin, where it not for the fact it could affect my citizenship application.

Anyway, no offence intended.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    A...read that post properly before you comment...
    So ... the car he was overtaking was the faster vehicle ... and it wasn't certain if he (the OP) was speeding.

The judge would buy that ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    I think it still works. If you sit at close to 100 but the oldest is about to drop off, the latest will not be added to the equation before you pay/get convicted. So if you delay that from happening until after the old ones are dropped you are still under 100. Yes there will be a period when you would have had over 100, but as it is now in the past it wont affect you in the now.
    It'd be interesting to get the official answer to this.

Points are incurred from the day the fine is paid, or a judge or jp bangs the gavel, but the effective date is the offence date.

So if you have 90 and the first was 1.99 years ago and you get pinged for a stop sign (20 demerits), the damage is done. Holding off paying the fine doesn't change the offence date.

Having said that, I've never worked for the NZTA. Demerits are an NZTA system, they are the gurus on it. There's a couple of women at CRDL who can answer this one, I just don't have a direct line to them any more.

Anyone can check their own demerits on 0800 822 422

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    It'd be interesting to get the official answer to this.

So if you have 90 and the first was 1.99 years ago and you get pinged for a stop sign (20 demerits), the damage is done. Holding off paying the fine doesn't change the offence date.
    As the points are not registered agains your license before you pay them I can hold off paying them until my total is so low that the new lot does not take me over the 100 points limit meaning my license would not be suspended. Logic here is obviously that before you admit to the offence the points are not allocated to you.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    So ... the car he was overtaking was the faster vehicle ... and it wasn't certain if he (the OP) was speeding.

The judge would buy that ...
    Dont just ramble....

read
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    So you fight charges you're guilty of?
    Charges...?

guilty...?

definitely never just bend over for anybody,
    no matter what outfit they wear..

But each to their own, hope you got a large tub of vaseline,
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    As the points are not registered agains your license before you pay them I can hold off paying them until my total is so low that the new lot does not take me over the 100 points limit meaning my license would not be suspended. Logic here is obviously that before you admit to the offence the points are not allocated to you.
    The devil is in the detail. They closed that loop hole years back.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Points are incurred from the day the fine is paid, or a judge or jp bangs the gavel, but the effective date is the offence date.
    Judges in the US of A have a gavel. Judges in British courts, and those that follow that system including NZ, do not.
    That comment suggests more time watching TV than observing what is happening in court?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    The devil is in the detail. They closed that loop hole years back.
    Am I to understand that as soon as a police officer gives me a traffic fine the points are recorded on my license even if I have the right to dispute the fine? If this is the case then a possible wrongful fine would stop me from driving/riding until resolved in court.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Am I to understand that as soon as a police officer gives me a traffic fine the points are recorded on my license even if I have the right to dispute the fine?
    I would imagine that points go on at the earliest of when:
    - You pay the fine (as this is an admission of guilt), or
    - You request a court hearing, and the court finds you guilty, or
    - The fine goes to collection proceedings (56 days or more after the offence, because you didn't pay it)
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Am I to understand that as soon as a police officer gives me a traffic fine the points are recorded on my license even if I have the right to dispute the fine? If this is the case then a possible wrongful fine would stop me from driving/riding until resolved in court.
    No.

Points are incurred on the day the determination of guilt is made. Which can be when the fine is paid, or the system decides so.

They are put onto the licence with an effective date of the offence date.

It's the system. Has been for years.

Land Transport 1998 Section 88 (4) refers. Happy browsing.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    No.

Points are incurred on the day the determination of guilt is made. Which can be when the fine is paid, or the system decides so.

They are put onto the licence with an effective date of the offence date.

It's the system. Has been for years.

Land Transport 1998 Section 88 (4) refers. Happy browsing.

Thanks for clarification. This was what I believed to be in place but your replies confused me (easy to do...). This then means that my earlier point is still valid:

- I get stopped by a traffic officer and given a fine. This fine also includes demerit points (lets say for simplicity that he/she gives me 20 demerit points)
    - As I already have 90 demerit points, and my license would be suspended if I climb up to/over 100, I will hold on paying the fine until after the 20 oldest ones (that I got 23 months ago) drop off.
    - This way I can, even if I theoretically have 110 demerit points, keep on driving/riding. When/if I get stopped in this period I would still be driving/riding legally as only 90 demerit points show on my record. Yes, the demerit points are, once I admit my guilt, added to my old demerit points and backdated to when I did the offence. But as I have waited until 20 points dropped off before paying I am able to ride/drive legally.

Or is there something I am missing here???

Bike
    Thanks for clarification. This was what I believed to be in place but your replies confused me (easy to do...). This then means that my earlier point is still valid:

- I get stopped by a traffic officer and given a fine. This fine also includes demerit points (lets say for simplicity that he/she gives me 20 demerit points)
    - As I already have 90 demerit points, and my license would be suspended if I climb up to/over 100, I will hold on paying the fine until after the 20 oldest ones (that I got 23 months ago) drop off.
    - This way I can, even if I theoretically have 110 demerit points, keep on driving/riding. When/if I get stopped in this period I would still be driving/riding legally as only 90 demerit points show on my record. Yes, the demerit points are, once I admit my guilt, added to my old demerit points and backdated to when I did the offence. But as I have waited until 20 points dropped off before paying I am able to ride/drive legally.

Or is there something I am missing here???
    Seems like the alternative would be to lose your licence (on paying the fine) for 3 months effective from the date of the offence. If that was 1.5 months ago then you'd be disqualified for 1.5 months into the future instead of 3, so still better off. Never heard of that happening though.

Thread Information