Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This can't be possible

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Unless the average speed is 25kph.

Which is regularly is up the Kapiti coast.

In which case a 5kph increase in speed gives you half an hour of your life back before Waikanae.
    Typo, meant to be 500km.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    What part of what I said do you think is a claim of intellectual superiority? That I called people morons perhaps? You could focus on that instead of the point I tried to make, but it kind of cements the statement.

I'm not overly bright, but I don't claim to be. I was not trolling, I was stating facts and presenting a different point of view to all those talking shit about concentration levels.

Laugh away though, failure to grasp a simple concept through spite is quite funny after all.
    Look who got an attitude for Xmas

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Look who got an attitude for Xmas
    Nothing has changed.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Change repeats. That is all.

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Right you fucking morons spouting about concentrating on the road rather than the speedo, listen up.

The LIMIT is a fixed number at any given point, you are expected to have sufficient control of your vehicle so as not to exceed it. A quick glance from time to time is all that is required to do so. If you constantly find during that glance that your speed has crept over said limit, it is expected that you lower your target speed to compensate.

On a trip lasting 1 to 2 hours (longer than most car trips), lowering your target speed 5kph to 95kph equates to a 3 to 6 minute increase in drive time. In New Zealand however, it's impossibly to drive for an hour at 100kph. So the average drops and that 5kph under 100kph equates to even less than 3 minutes.

Dumb fucks, shouldn't be on the fucking road if this is too complex anyway.
    yeah .. that's all true - and I always have a good laugh at the drivers who pass me at just over 100 klicks - only to be one or two cars in front of me at the lights .. all that effort, guilt and angst for about a 10 yard advantage ...

However Drew - on a bike you have forgotten the fun factor ... bikes aren't just a way of getting somewhere else .. bikes are fucking FUN !!!! So on four wheels I do tend to sit at or below the speed limit and cruise on the music .. On a bike I let her rip .. just for the hell of it ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    yeah .. that's all true - and I always have a good laugh at the drivers who pass me at just over 100 klicks - only to be one or two cars in front of me at the lights .. all that effort, guilt and angst for about a 10 yard advantage ...

However Drew - on a bike you have forgotten the fun factor ... bikes aren't just a way of getting somewhere else .. bikes are fucking FUN !!!! So on four wheels I do tend to sit at or below the speed limit and cruise on the music .. On a bike I let her rip .. just for the hell of it ..
    I speed on a bike from time to time, not so much since I learned to wheelie but I still do it. I don't make excuses for it though, and I certainly would never admit to being such a fucken useless driver/rider that I cannot safely control my vehicle at the same time as monitoring my speed.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    .. On a bike I let her rip .. just for the hell of it ..
    I thought it was ... because we can ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    You may be right, but the average, (and below average,) driver is so shit scared of getting a ticket he spends more time watching his speedo than the road.

All the more reason they shouldn't be on the road...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    1980 Yamaha RD/H2 750
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I thought it was ... because we can ...

Yeah, that.. & 'cause operating a high performance machine closer to its design capability is more involving,
    inspires concentration & focus..
    .. unlike boringly vacant & frustrating piddling along.. due to lowest common denominator values which just happen to predicate disrespect for the law.. even for a bloody cop commissar..

This situation is quite apparent to any who've had the opportunity to use the road systems in 1st world to go places at a realistic pace..

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    All the more reason they shouldn't be on the road...
    No argument there...
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    You may be right, but the average, (and below average,) driver is so shit scared of getting a ticket he spends more time watching his speedo than the road.
    Your quote isn't the best but fuck actually putting effort in to finding the right one.

The argument that the reduced limits cause people to stare at their speedos should be bullshit. It is a requirement of getting your license that you can consistently drive within 5km of the limit with out going over. While still keeping your eyes on the road, while searching ahead for hazards. While checking your mirrors. If you can't do all of that on a vehicle with some mass (and hence a relatively stable speed rather than being a bit twitchy like a small bike) then you should hand your license back into the cereal box you got it from.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    How long does it take to glance at your speedo? Half a second maybe?

So even if you check your speedo every 30 seconds you're still only looking at it for a 60th of the time you spend driving.

Anyone who considers that checking your speedo makes you less aware of what's happening around you should get the fuck off the road.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.W. View Post
    Yeah, that.. & 'cause operating a high performance machine closer to its design capability is more involving,
    inspires concentration & focus..
    When operating a high performance machine close to it's design capability ... you will usually find yourself well over the posted speed limit.

This has nothing to do with maintaining a speed under that posted legal speed limit. The excess speed is by the operators choice. Should they then be caught over the posted limit ... fault and responsibility becomes theirs

In reference to my post you quoted ... we CAN ... and we DO. But it would be hypocritical to claim anything other than it (excess speed) was the result of their personal choice or due to lack of concentration.

An experienced rider/driver can not seriously claim otherwise ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    The argument that the reduced limits cause people to stare at their speedos should be bullshit.
    Exactly! Should be. But in real life I don't think it is. The current bandwagon for the "safety" zealots is distraction. Why add yet one more unnecessary distraction into the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    It is a requirement of getting your license that you can consistently drive within 5km of the limit with out going over. While still keeping your eyes on the road, while searching ahead for hazards. While checking your mirrors.
    And yet it seems that most drivers can't do this (or are just too lazy to do it).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Exactly! Should be. But in real life I don't think it is. The current bandwagon for the "safety" zealots is distraction. Why add yet one more unnecessary distraction into the equation?

And yet it seems that most drivers can't do this (or are just too lazy to do it).
    As fucking annoying as it would be, it is probably worth extending the retesting on license renewal. Don't just have it for the nice grannies and grandpas but let mom and dad have a go at that as well given how shit they are half the time.

Thread Information