Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple 55km/h tickets, speedo reading slow

Bike
    vfr400 NC30, SRX600 project

Multiple 55km/h tickets, speedo reading slow

So, I've been receiving a steady stream of 30$ tickets over the past few weeks - about 1-2/week (mid Jan ones are just coming through). Last year I got one, and last ticket before that was ages ago. First couple I thought - fair enough, however last 2-3 made me stop and go hang on (one was in peak hour traffic). Checked my speedo with my GPS and for some reason it's showing as 5km slower than the GPS, which would explain things a little, as I've been trying to drive at 50km dead on.

Now question is, does this give me something to go by with the tickets? As they are the only way I'd have known about the speedo being out, and because they are delayed, I haven't cottoned on until now that I need to be doing 45 indicated...

And if it is a leg to stand on - do I need to go to a place to verify that, and if so where in Auckland?

FYI - I've paid the first three, three more sitting here...was going to pay them then thought why not, ask the genius that is kb and wait for people to tell me to suck it up and pay them :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    R1200GSA
    First, good on ya for acknowledging that it's your bad.

Try writing to the PIB. You never know, they might find honesty refreshing after all the normal tosh they are sent.

Next reflect that most speedo read over, not under. Causing people to drive slower. Meaning that anyone who got a ticket was actually going faster than they were fined for.

Does this mean that if they refund yours, everyone else should pay more?

Just Josh ING. But do write in. It costs virtually nothing and might save you a few dollars.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Worth a crack anyway. Find a speedo repair shop who can give a written report on how far out the speedo is and submit it with the written explanation.

Many years back i got pinged for unpaid RUC, I'd known for some time that the speedo was well out so got a report from Parratts here in ChCh.
    Paid yes, but only on the corrected mileage which was quite a saving.

Bike

Yes I'm sure I remember using my GPS when I got the car ~6 years ago and it showing around 4km/h under, hence why I thought I'd ask on here before trying to write in.

Yeah tbh I'm sure one or two are deserved - 56 and 57 as I remember being in a hurry and looking down to see it being around 55 before slowing down. It does annoy me that I have to look down about every 5 seconds or so sometimes to check but hey...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Worth a crack anyway. Find a speedo repair shop who can give a written report on how far out the speedo is and submit it with the written explanation.

Many years back i got pinged for unpaid RUC, I'd known for some time that the speedo was well out so got a report from Parratts here in ChCh.
    Paid yes, but only on the corrected mileage which was quite a saving.
    Thanks, good to know similar ish situation so I'm not going to have someone laughing at me.

And can they fix it? Or do I need to go get some bigger or smaller profile tyres (I have no idea which way it works sorry!, have heard changing the tyre size can affect it - not that I have on my trust Toyota Corolla wagon that just won't die!)

You know what a better solution is? Ride the bike more :-p.

Bike
    Exercycle
    If it's under recording the wheel rpm needs to rise to match the speedo so lower profile tyre...or lower pressures. lol.

Or it may be possible to do an internal mod to the speedo. In my case Parratts put a small epicyclic gearbox in the drive from the gearbox output to the speedo cable. In some cases they can change the drive ratio in the gearbox - cars only.

Bike
    A
    Silly question maybe...but have you changed wheel/tyre combo at all?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemaestro View Post
    Thanks, good to know similar ish situation so I'm not going to have someone laughing at me.

And can they fix it? Or do I need to go get some bigger or smaller profile tyres (I have no idea which way it works sorry!, have heard changing the tyre size can affect it - not that I have on my trust Toyota Corolla wagon that just won't die!)

You know what a better solution is? Ride the bike more :-p.
    Speedo healers are a fairly common mod to go with sprocket size changes.

Here's a KB thread from October on the topic:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...aler-speedodrd

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Silly question maybe...but have you changed wheel/tyre combo at all?
    What I was thinking, depending on the car it may affect the reading.

Bike
    I changed to new tyres around 1 year ago, same profile tyres however though, and fairly budget at that so run of the mill:-)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    my last ticket was about six years ago, i saw the cop and checked my speedo, but still got pinged, went to an authorised instrument tech who checked it with a gps and certified it incorrect.
    went to the warrant people who said, if we think it's out we take it along the motorway with a known correct vehicle (given that the warrant was done in a closed building bullshit) explained this in my letter
    i wrote in and still had to pay!
    the warrants used to have to ensure a speedo was within 10%, but since this new 4% bullshit they've removed that from the warrant, means the government enforced vehicle safety cert, does not cover your speedo.
    seems a bit against human rights to me that this is the way that the government can do this????
    anyway have you got an incorrect sized tyre on, this can have an effect.

Bike
    Predator
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemaestro View Post
    I changed to new tyres around 1 year ago, same profile tyres however though, and fairly budget at that so run of the mill:-)

Same width too? For a given profile different widths affect overall diameter.

Even new tyres of the same width and profile size will affect the speedo by a few % compared to those with worn tread. However 10% over the GPS reading is a fair bit, indicating incorrect tyre size or something haywire in the speedo.

Bike
    Yep bought the same dimensions tyre as was on there when I bought it...hence my thought about people who measure and fix these things. Odd though as no bouncing or noises or anything like I had in my very first car (speedo drive bit was getting worn I suspect)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Aren't we back on the 9 kph ? Christmas is over .

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Yep thank goodness!

Also, checked today, it's only between 50-60, improves to bang on once you get to 80 and up to 100:-p..figure that?

Thread Information