Thread: What to look for when buying a used Suzuki VL1500 Intruder?

Bike
    05 Bandit 1200, 08 YZF250, 07 RMZ450

What to look for when buying a used Suzuki VL1500 Intruder?

So after deciding that I'm too old and brittle to ride sports bikes (and my Bandit is decent enough for any hooning needs) I've decided to get a big ol' cruiser and start on my bobber project. I like the wide front cruisers and big engines (yes I'm fully compensating for my other "inadequacies") and am thinking of getting a VL1500 to rip apart for a bobber for next summer.

Any current or past owners able to give some advise on things to look out for when inspecting one of these? International reviews rate the engine's long term reliability very highly, but what about the rest? Electrics? Clutch? anything regarded as a weak point on these things?

As a side note, any customer reviews on the yamaha dealer in Palmy north "Freedom Moto"? They have a cheap Intruder 1500 right now but long way to go on a punt.

Thank you for any info or advise.

Bike
    BMW F 650GS

Bike
    2008 BMW K1200S
    On a side note, have you thought about a Honda Valkyrie - Goldwing 1800 donk that we all know lasts forever. Also I don't think you'll find to many of them in bobber trim.

Regarding the Intruder, I have not heard to many bad things about them.

Bike
    05 Bandit 1200, 08 YZF250, 07 RMZ450
    Thanks Saarg I'll have a look at that tonight.

No Brendon haven't thought about those tbh. Good looking big chunky bike, but not in my little budget but the looks of things.

I've told the wife I'll sell the bandit AFTER buying the cruiser "IF" I like the bobber once it's finished....... and she believed me!?

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynemesis View Post
    Thanks Saarg I'll have a look at that tonight.

No Brendon haven't thought about those tbh. Good looking big chunky bike, but not in my little budget but the looks of things.

I've told the wife I'll sell the bandit AFTER buying the cruiser "IF" I like the bobber once it's finished....... and she believed me!?

Yeah!, Nah, aye??????????
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    VL been around for a long time. Service at regular intervals should be the only thing you need to know :-)

Thread Information