Thread: Ex South African importing 1200gs

Bike
    gs 1200

Ex South African importing 1200gs

Hi, are the any ex South Africans that imported their late model Bmw 1200 gs, was it worth it and would you do it again?

Bike
    ZX6R, KLR, VL250, Tiger800
    Hey.

I imported a few bikes a couple of years ago, it all went quite painlessly, just make sure you have all the paperwork sorted long before the bikes are crated. I'd advise you to double check with your shipping company that you have everything you need, read over the NZTA website and contact your local entry certifier with the VIN#, and verify if any manufacturer certification is required. Have about $1K set aside for all the checks and fees once it arrives in NZ.

Locally the 2016 BMW R1200GS retails at around $33 000 (R347 342.00), while the same model goes for $19856.47 (R209 000.00) in ZA. Although the used bike market is slightly different, it will more than likely be worth the effort to import, also check your expected selling price on Gumtree vs your replacement price on TradeMe.

btw I assumed you are immigrating and not just visiting.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I've imported a couple of bikes also. New bikes are very easy. Old bikes need to be exactly to OEM spec or they will not pass. One point is to ensure that the specific model you are importing already exists in NZ. My Tiger was the very first one of it's kind and the compliance guys couldn't decypher the VIN. This dealey me by a couple of days whilsyt I got Triumph n the UK to fax through the right document. Good luck :thumbs:
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    You need to prove certain standards before entry can be done.
    This can be done either with a whole European approval number if BMW give one for the south african market,https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....approval-plate
    Or a statement of compliance issued by BMW in SA or BMW NZ if they will help you out https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....-of-compliance

Make sure you do your homework before laying out your cash . Sometimes things that seem to good to be true are !

There are a whole lot of Honda motorcycles built in Thailand that look the same as those built for NZ but do not meet a brake standard and therefore cannot LEGALLY go on the road . They tend to do the round on trade me but they are ban flagged in the NZTA system

Bike
    gs 1200

Thanks

Thanks guys! Do you know how long the bike must be in your name before exporting from SA?

Bike
    5 minutes...10 minutes, it will depend how long it takes the ink on the sales contract to dry and salesman to find your keys. I don't think there is a required period of ownership.

However, if you are aiming to import the bike tax exempt as an immigrants vehicle you are required to have owned the bike for a minimum of 12 months before your arrival. To remain tax exempt you will also be required to keep the bike for no less than 2 years after arrival.

Another thing to consider, would you be able to ride the bike once it arrives? In ZA you can ride any size bike on a learner license, here its a different story. If you have a full ZA license, converting it is a doddle, if you are on a learners, you will need to start from scratch and work your way up, which can be a lengthy process.

Bike

Thread Information