Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from moped to 250cc motorcycle. Too expensive?

Bike
    Kymco Super 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    If you're not covered in hair and between the ages of 15-18 you have nothing to fear from that looser.

What is your budget for a 250?
    Up to 6k. I was even considering the yamaha mt-03. 321cc and ABS brakes.

Bike
    Kymco Super 8
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    R
    Where do you ride? where do you want to ride?
    Thanks.

I ride about 37km a day from west of auckland to cbd. I can cover my trip fine with a scooter.

The main problem with my scooter is awareness. Its like drivers don't see you there like you don't exist.

Also I almost got involved in accidents twice because my scooter slipped when I pressed my brake too hard. Maybe with a proper it would be safer? Better brakes etc...

Bike
    Kymco Super 8
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    10 sold in NZ, as of a month ago. If you're talking about the Tricity 125 3 wheeler scooter.
    I was looking at one of those but I when for a test ride and honestly my 50cc 2t (with bbk + sport parts) was stronger than that one. There will be a new 155cc version coming up soon so I will keep an eye on it.

If register these tricycle as cars can I still ride it on the bus lane? I wonder what happens if those guys record me riding there since they have a front plate.

BTW: How do you know only 10 sold in NZ?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flaviosa View Post
    I was looking at one of those but I when for a test ride and honestly my 50cc 2t (with bbk + sport parts) was stronger than that one. There will be a new 155cc version coming up soon so I will keep an eye on it.

If register these tricycle as cars can I still ride it on the bus lane? I wonder what happens if those guys record me riding there since they have a front plate.

BTW: How do you know only 10 sold in NZ?
    Sale figures are from Yamaha Australia. They control the NZ market. I emailed them when this bike was being discussed in another thread.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Up to 6k. I was even considering the yamaha mt-03. 321cc and ABS brakes.
    Flag the so called upgraded Scooter idea then.. MT-03 = good choice. CBR 300? Ninja 300? for around the same money.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Thanks.

I ride about 37km a day from west of auckland to cbd. I can cover my trip fine with a scooter.

The main problem with my scooter is awareness. Its like drivers don't see you there like you don't exist.

Also I almost got involved in accidents twice because my scooter slipped when I pressed my brake too hard. Maybe with a proper it would be safer? Better brakes etc...
    Awareness from drivers has gotten better as my bikes got bigger. Presence counts.

As for tyres slipping... rubber goes off; it gets old and goes hard. Then it doesn't grip any more. So first thing, check how old your current tyres are and how hard the compound seems to be. You should be able to make a mark in it with a fingernail. If it doesn't seem to be wearing down any more (ie tread depth readings) then it's definitely stuffed.

You mentioned economy as being important, so I understand not wanting to change apparently fine tyres. My own position on tyres is that they're pricey but they're a lot cheaper than crash repairs or lost income.

Motorcycles have a lot of options for tyres - economy, touring, ultra grippy sport performance etc - I don't know how scooter tyres compare though. Bigger wheels also means a bigger contact patch, plus a lot of current bikes have ABS. ABS is gold in an emergency situation, I've had far too many panic lockups to doubt the system's value any more.

Bike
    S1000RR
    The reason I was planning to move was because I feel a bigger bike is safer, bigger wheels, better brakes (maybe one with ABS), stronger engine etc..
    Totally support this idea. I ride a BMW S1000RR, probably one of the fastest bike ever made (and has 193 horsepower! Bow down peasants!). Sounds dangerous? Yeah. But one time I took the bike in for a service I had a 100cc moped scooter as a loan bike. Boy, did I have a "Oh shit! So this is how I die!" moment while riding back home. Weak brakes, untrustworthy cheap Chinese tyres and twitchy super sensitive short-wheelbase handling. Felt much safer on my 300kph+ superbike.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Totally support this idea. I ride a BMW S1000RR, probably one of the fastest bike ever made (and has 193 horsepower! Bow down peasants!). Sounds dangerous? Yeah. But one time I took the bike in for a service I had a 100cc moped scooter as a loan bike. Boy, did I have a "Oh shit! So this is how I die!" moment while riding back home. Weak brakes, untrustworthy cheap Chinese tyres and twitchy super sensitive short-wheelbase handling. Felt much safer on my 300kph+ superbike.
    When Pizza's turn up cold at your house you know they were not delivered on Superbike. When they are delivered on a Superbike the pizza maker dude is still cutting it up.

Bike
    Between bikes
    How much do you guys spend with your bikes?
    More than I should and less than I'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Poster 1
    'Poster 1'... the right term is 'Original Poster' or OP, dork. I think those three wheel things are mainly used by Parking officers nowadays, so if you wanna be mistaken for one of them...

Ahem.

OP: Bikes are meant to be fun. So much fun that you'll find a way to afford one regardless. If they're not that fun for you... stick to the mupped.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    mc17
    Get yourself a car, for someone that has been riding for years you are still amateur. No offense but if your truly keen you can buy my bike for 4k.

Bike
    Kymco Super 8
    Quote Originally Posted by 250r-king View Post
    Get yourself a car, for someone that has been riding for years you are still amateur. No offense but if your truly keen you can buy my bike for 4k.
    Of course I am an amateur. and I will always be one regardless the years I have been riding.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 250r-king View Post
    Of course I am an amateur. and I will always be one regardless the years I have been riding.
    you two should get together for a cuddle.

Bike
    Kymco Super 8

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    you two should get together for a cuddle.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Don't listen to 250 peasant king's bullshit posts. If you've been on moped for over 5 years, you should find yourself reasonably comfortable on a 250.

Also don't buy his 20-y old POS 250R junk. It's a poor man's CBR, not even a proper MC22. Probably "tuned" with household blow dryer duc taped to airbox and some bullshit unicorn urine added to engine oil to make extra horsepower.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    These days you aren't restricted to a 250, if you look around you may seem something suitable for your intended purpose.

Re an earlier comment: the year of manufacture is written on the sidewall of a tyre.
    http://www.michelin.ca/tires-101/tir...-sidewall.page

The tyres in that item were dated 2008. I hope none of us are using tyres made in 2008.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information