Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kwaka Mach 111 racing pics from 1970

Bike
    Honda
    Awesome photos, makes you appreciate how good the riders were.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.

Thanks for sharing these with us nudemetalz. Great photos. Like Riffer, I too can smell the Castrol R!!! I also recall a few names from the clipping. I remember Paul McLachlan (sp?) in particular - rode #68 and was sponsored by Tyre Pando. I think he went overseas - to Canada? (or am I getting him confused with Gary Goodfellow? or did they both go to Canada??)

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    I'm happy to share !!

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Hi Chris,

I raced at Ruapuna over the period 1969-1972 in the 125, 250 and 350 production bike classes. When I saw the first photo, I thoght that was Clint. From memory, he was the first to race a Mach 111 at Ruapuna.

When i first started, Owen was racing an Ariel Arrow 250cc two stroke twin. It didn't have much straight line speed, but he was very smooth and quick around corners. I also remember him racing an H1 later.

Very sad to hear that Warren has passed away. I knew him very well in the 70's.

If you have any photos with bike 97 (probably in the background) that was me.
    In the Le Mans pic there's a Yamaha with 97 on it just to the right of the pic.
    Is that you, Rhino ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	17076  

Bike
    1990 Honda Goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz
    In the Le Mans pic there's a Yamaha with 97 on it just to the right of the pic.
    Is that you, Rhino ?
    That was me as a young lad. Both the DS7 and R5 were great for Le Mans starts. Leave them in first gear with the key on, jump on the bike and push forward with the knees while dropping the clutch. If the ignition timing was correct, it would burst into life.

Just trying to picture me doing that on the ''Wing
    Keep the shiny side upright, Rhino.

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Man those pics are awesome. Don't know about the cobble stones sticking up the inside of the curbing on the corner in some of those pics (think its the final corner). Definately puts things in perspective.

Yeah I ride a 125 too, that last corner scares me. That wall is way too close. High side there would be a bad bad thing. Think I'm safe though, cause I'm a pussy.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by k14
    Man those pics are awesome. Don't know about the cobble stones sticking up the inside of the curbing on the corner in some of those pics (think its the final corner). Definately puts things in perspective.

Yeah I ride a 125 too, that last corner scares me. That wall is way too close. High side there would be a bad bad thing. Think I'm safe though, cause I'm a pussy.
    I tell you what, don't apply the power too hard on a 125 coming out of that sweeper onto the front straight. I don't recommend a high-side on an RS !!
    Wrecked my wrist and more importantly, my John Kocinski-Replica Shoei !!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    That was me as a young lad. Both the DS7 and R5 were great for Le Mans starts. Leave them in first gear with the key on, jump on the bike and push forward with the knees while dropping the clutch. If the ignition timing was correct, it would burst into life.

Just trying to picture me doing that on the ''Wing
    I bet ya the YDS-3's were great fun for Le-Mans starts !!
    Crank mounted clutch which ran at engine-speed. Apparently they were like a light-switch - just on or off !!!
    Plus when you pulled the clutch in, it disengaged the oil-pump. Which meant if you sat at the lights revving the bike in gear, you were asking for trouble (or the next oversize pistons at the local Yamaha shop !!)...

ah,... technology !!!

Bike
    '90 GSXR250 in black
    Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz
    You're welcome, Riffer.

When I started out riding at 12, I learnt on a CR-80 (talk about being chucked in the deep end !!) and Dad came out and watched me race.
    It was great having that support.

Here's me at 12 years old in 1982, never ridden a motorcycle before being taught what lever does what, while the neighbours are learning how noisy a motocross bike is !!!

Cheers
    Chris
    haha thats funny i was caning it round on a cr125 a few weeks ago, they're bloody fun wee bikes, good for doing wheelies and stuff on, awesome!! thats the bike that got me hooked on motocross, now i'm just saving furiously for a motocross bike (and a new roadbike, and, and...)

Bike
    1985 Suzuki 250

Clint Cattermole

Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz View Post
    Y

When I started out riding at 12, I learnt on a CR-80 (talk about being chucked in the deep end !!) and Dad came out and watched me race.
    It was great having that support.

Here's me at 12 years old in 1982, never ridden a motorcycle before being taught what lever does what, while the neighbours are learning how noisy a motocross bike is !!!

Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris, I joined the RNZAF in 1966 with a Clint Cattermole. Would that have been your father by chance?
    garydanvers@gmail.com

Thread Information