Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: So what's the best sports tourer?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Which raises a interesting question - on the unlimited budget you had lets say up to $30k for the ultimate sports tourer. But if say buying the used, kitted suzuki for 10, you have 20 or less for another bike - maybe you buy a sport bike? but then you may as well buy a tourer and a sport bike not a sports tourer and a sport bike ...... or a .....
    Track bike is a whole new thread...

But if I was heading down that path it would be a Gixxer 750, new as possible for 8 to 9k. Np more than that in case you throw it down the track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ouch. But good buying for someone. A lot of bike for the coin.
    I reckon its a stunning deal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Which raises a interesting question - on the unlimited budget you had lets say up to $30k for the ultimate sports tourer.
    You're not talking any sense man!

That Sook has a handy thing, the plate is mbike... just in case you forgot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I reckon its a stunning deal.
    It is pretty good. Given the year it has done damn all kms. It would have taken me 5 months max to run up those kms. I do wonder about vehicles in general that have spent a lot of time sitting in a garage. I had a '98 BMW that I bought in 2013 with 11000kms ish on the clock. Ran great for about 4 or 5 months and then it seemed to spend more time in the workshop or with me swearing at it on the side of the road.
    Fairly typical of the NZ motorcycle scene though, high $$ bikes that sit in the garage.

On the subject of taking a depreciation hit, I reckon that is just a decision you make about WHEN you spend money, its never about IF.

I have the first brand new vehicle I have ever had in my life with this Aprilia, yeah I will probably get raped when its eventually sold on/traded. However I will have had tremendous satisfaction and fun from it, as well getting to my place of employment in a stress free manner.
    I bought a 4 month old FA, spent another $6k on it (not including maintenance/servicing/tyres) and sold it taking a hit of $3.5k on the original purchase price. So really the bike cost me almost $10k over a couple of years. Supposedly the big hit had already happened with depreciation, yeah right. And before you argue I didn't have to spend the money on it, the only reason I was able to command the sale price I did was BECAUSE I had spent the money on it.

Vehicles cost money, a lot of it, you either pay the money by drip feed or in big hits, its all the same at the end.

Anyway, we all go out in the same size box and we don't take anything with us so who gives a rat's arse.

what was the question?
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You're not talking any sense man!

That Sook has a handy thing, the plate is mbike... just in case you forgot?
    Yeah not sure what the deal is with that.

Why would you buy that as a personal plate?

Odd.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I bought a 4 month old FA, spent another $6k on it (not including maintenance/servicing/tyres)
    How did you spend 6k on it? Did you get it gold plated or something?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Wasn't your money was it?
    A bit over $3k with Mr Taylor. Full Givi luggage, screens, heated grips, radiator guard, fender extender, mirror extenders, light guard, hand guards, tanklock system and bags, power system for tank bag, custom seat with McDonalds, upgrade lights, Scott oiler, bar risers...etc
    I am not a mechanic and paid for the fitting of a lot of the stuff. I am lucky that I am able to and it doesn't do the bike industry any harm.
    I had fun doing it all and the bike was far superior to what Mr Suzuki offered from the factory in terms of performance and ergonomics.
    No gold plating no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Wasn't your money was it?
    A bit over $3k with Mr Taylor. Full Givi luggage, screens, heated grips, radiator guard, fender extender, mirror extenders, light guard, hand guards, tanklock system and bags, power system for tank bag, custom seat with McDonalds, upgrade lights, Scott oiler, bar risers...etc
    I am not a mechanic and paid for the fitting of a lot of the stuff. I am lucky that I am able to and it doesn't do the bike industry any harm.
    I had fun doing it all and the bike was far superior to what Mr Suzuki offered from the factory in terms of performance and ergonomics.
    No gold plating no.

What did you do to upgrade the lights?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Mucked about with LEDs but locating the heat sinks was an issue. HID seemed a lot of $$ for something that would have to be taken out come WOF time. Ended up just using high performance halogen bulbs. Better but they were not exactly blowing me away. Bought spotlights for it, never got around to fitting them.

Bike
    bandit
    A basic tune the 1250 has about 30% more torque than a Hornet which will show a lot on the road.
    yeah ... it does ... mates with Hornets love them - but they can't live with a big bandit ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Mucked about with LEDs but locating the heat sinks was an issue. HID seemed a lot of $$ for something that would have to be taken out come WOF time. Ended up just using high performance halogen bulbs. Better but they were not exactly blowing me away. Bought spotlights for it, never got around to fitting them.

Got any bits left over?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Bike
    bandit
    Buy one with luggage. $1500 will sort suspension and $500 on motor.

I only have a Ventura bag.

On tour I need clothes to ride in - leathers

Clothes to wear at night .. jeans.

Underwear, etc all goes in the Ventura Bag.

You all must carry a LOT of shit if you need full sets.

I've gone 10 days on the road with what I can get in a Ventura Bag plus a sleeping bag strapped on the seat ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I only have a Ventura bag.

On tour I need clothes to ride in - leathers

Clothes to wear at night .. jeans.

Underwear, etc all goes in the Ventura Bag.

I've gone 10 days on the road with what I can get in a Ventura Bag plus a sleeping bag strapped on the seat ..
    Sleeping bag and change of footwear go in one pannier, clothes and toiletries in the other. Both sides will have a bit of room left. I like to wash and change after a day on the road, call me strange.
    Top box I usually leave room for my helmet so I can lock it away during stops, the rest of the space is usually taken up with camer gear and waterproofs. I like to take photos and often bring my DLSR and a change of lens or two....

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Got any bits left over?

I still have the tankbag and power hub, its listed on TM at the minute. I also found a set of levers the other day in the shed and there are a couple of bulbs, but not the performance ones, they went with the bike.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post

No idea how you do that...

Left pannier is tools and associated items (tape, flash light etc), usually a change of shoes, spare gloves, balaclava, wet weather gear and so on. Right pannier is oil, cloths, clothes and electrical gear (got a packing cell for chargers, card readers, power cables etc).

Top is either backpack with stuff like laptop, water bottles, wallet, cases for GPS, if no top box, maybe a tail pack, laptop is relocated to right pannier, and still stuff like water, mobile, wallet etc goes into the tail pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information