Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Road legal KDX 200

Bike
    GSXR1000
    The sensor on my unit managed to pick up on the bolts securing the disc to the carrier so I didn't need to attach a magnet, maybe your sensor can do the same? The switch fit your needs?

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    The sensor on my unit managed to pick up on the bolts securing the disc to the carrier so I didn't need to attach a magnet, maybe your sensor can do the same? The switch fit your needs?
    In the end, no, I'm going to use the hydraulic switch I had intended for the rear, less welding, and the lever isn't that well set up for the switch.

For the rear I have got a switch with a spring attached which the brake pedal should pull.

I'll try that out and see if it can pick up the bolts, more accurate speed then too.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    If all goes to plan taking it to VTNZ tomorrow, I will post a run down on expenses and what what worked and what didn't later.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hads View Post
    Based off advice from onearmedbandit, I am planning on putting the magnet in the front disk for the bicycle speedometer, would heat be a problem here? I was thinking of glueing it in with a silicon based glue so it can handle higher temperatures without losing strength.
    Dunno what the manufacturers use to attach the magnets but I recently set the rear disc of my gasgas on fire, the wee speedo magnet is glued to a bracket, bolted onto the disc and came adrift in the inferno. Fortunately it stuck itself to the disc. I would be interested to know what glue you have used. I was just going to stick it back on with some epoxy.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Dunno what the manufacturers use to attach the magnets but I recently set the rear disc of my gasgas on fire, the wee speedo magnet is glued to a bracket, bolted onto the disc and came adrift in the inferno. Fortunately it stuck itself to the disc. I would be interested to know what glue you have used. I was just going to stick it back on with some epoxy.
    I'm using silicon glue, hopefully works.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    So an update, got the bike back from Norjo's and took it straight to VTNZ in Lichfield St, Ian had a good close look at it with me, and reckoned it was fine for a warrant. So we started filling out the required stuff on the computer and got it past the point of registration but then got to the point of giving it a warrant and had the error, no PDI (pre delivery inspection). So I rang Norjo's they stated they can't do it as it is only for new bikes in their opinion.
    I next rang Kawasaki NZ and had a good chat to Wayne, he thought it wasn't possible either to get a PDI done, and told me why my bike was in the NZTA system to begin with is because back in the 2000's the police asked that all bikes, including off road bikes be entered regardless of whether they needed to go on the road or not, but that didn't require a PDI. Wayne mentioned that they had huge trouble getting the KLX400's registered even though they were identical to the DRZ400's in parts due to no PDI upon coming into the country. He had never heard of anyone attempting to register a KDX 200 before. He suggested trying to get a Low Volume Certificate which are often used for custom built cars, probably pricey.
    Next I rang the NZTA to see if I could waive the PDI requirement for the motorbike based off it being in a warrantable state which is probably just as good as a PDI, after a long wait the answer was no, I would need a PDI and apparently authorised resellers should be able to get one for used bikes!
    Ian then suggested I try Traction Motorcycles, at this point VTNZ was closing so I took the bike round there, they gave it a PDI easy before they closed up and now I'm just waiting for VTNZ to open tomorrow and hopefully (assuming no more hiccups) I will actually get a registration for the bike! I think I will let Wayne know at Kawasaki, he seemed very interested in what I was up to.
    I will update this thread with where I got to tomorrow if I have time, and may even create a thread on the steps required to get an offroad bike on the road.
    Apparently you can ring up the NZTA to check if a PDI has been done for the VIN, this should save you lots of hassle if it has been done, and not require finding a mechanic who is willing to do one for you.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    Success, bike now has a number plate, now any hints on how to straighten handlebars, it seems whilst it was on the trailer it put them out of kilter. Also need to figure out the mirror gap not big enough for hands with gloves on.

Bike
    wr450f
    Success, bike now has a number plate, now any hints on how to straighten handlebars, it seems whilst it was on the trailer it put them out of kilter. Also need to figure out the mirror gap not big enough for hands with gloves on.
    Awesome news! Have fun smoking out cars at the lights. Best to strap onto tripleclamps not handlebars for trailer, try sticking some steel stock in the open end of the bent side and heave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which brings me back to point Z. - use premium fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    And the right plugs. And condoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    never really believed in em. which i suppose is why my bike runs rough and i have kids.

Bike
    GG ec250, KDX200
    Wow! I honestly thought at the beginning of this thread that you would have no chance of success. Well done for persevering with it - a quick guide of the steps (specially the PDI part) would be great.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Nice.

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    A picture of plate on bike, blanked out

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    When I did the bmw I put a koso speedo unit on but the magnets were not strong enough because the disc mount bolts on the bmw went all the way through the wheel to hold both discs on in a nut and bolt arrangement and the magnet was trying to magnetize the whole bolt. i ordered some super strength magnets and sleeved them with heat shrink to isolate them from the bolt and set them in with chemset. They are set into the hex head.

I still have more magnets if anyone needs some.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedo 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	326745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedo 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	326744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedo.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	326743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0644.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	326742  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information